Moparts

Steel hood braces..

Posted By: tboomer

Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 04:33 PM

Would it be sahe to cut the hood braces off my 64? Just a little idea to take off some weight on the front...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 05:40 PM

are you talking under the hood where the hood scoop would go. if so, yes it is safe. mines been done on my 63 MW plymouth.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 05:46 PM

On the other hand, if your talking taking out the entire under structure, and essentially leaving the edges and top skin, i say no---only from experience do i say that. It becomes a big flopping piece of metal, and i hacked up a few trying different things with them. The best solution but most time consuming one i came up with is various sized hole saws. Cutting out just in the area of a scoop is fine however. Oh, and when i did gut the entire bracing out from my Darts hood, i was suprised to see how light the bracing really was---i think the outer skin actually weighed more.

Posted By: tboomer

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 06:13 PM

Like this 62...

Attached picture 5756902-scoop-03-small.jpg
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 06:50 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, if your talking taking out the entire under structure, and essentially leaving the edges and top skin, i say no---only from experience do i say that. It becomes a big flopping piece of metal, and i hacked up a few trying different things with them. The best solution but most time consuming one i came up with is various sized hole saws. Cutting out just in the area of a scoop is fine however. Oh, and when i did gut the entire bracing out from my Darts hood, i was suprised to see how light the bracing really was---i think the outer skin actually weighed more.

Wow that really takes me back, I haven't seen
Swiss cheese like that in years

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 06:53 PM

Oh, i see. That would probably work fine. I wonder how much just that piece weighs. Cut it out and report back.

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/24/10 06:56 PM

Quote:

Wow that really takes me back, I haven't seen
Swiss cheese like that in years

I got to say when i did that a few years back, A)I read to many old magazines as a kid, B) I always and still do like the look, and C) I was REALLY inspired buy another Moparts members car here---can you guess who?
Posted By: The Shocker

Re: Steel hood braces.. - 01/25/10 01:06 AM

I cut the entire bracing out of mine on my 64 Dart (with the exception of about 2 inches around the edges ).I am not using hood springs though ,nor a hood latch .Mine is on my drag car and i am using the stock hinges plus i have it pinned in the front.I am also using a sealed scoop that is pressed firmly against the carb and i think it helps support it.It made a huge difference in the weight of the hood ,but its a little flimsy now.I'd say the whole structure that i cut out weighed proly 15-20 lbs easy ...
© 2024 Moparts Forums