Moparts

Rim screws on the inside only???

Posted By: 1976 Aspen

Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 03:51 PM

I just bought a set of CWI wheels and they are so pretty that I don't wanna clutter them up with rim screws on the outside. Is it OK to just put like eight screws on the inside instead??? It's a 3450 lb. bracket/street car that runs 10.20's with a 1.40 60' leaving off a trans brake. I'm running a M/T 29.5-11.5-15 ET Drag on a 10" rim with tubes. Any info/suggestions are appreciated!!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 04:00 PM

Quote:

I just bought a set of CWI wheels and they are so pretty that I don't wanna clutter them up with rim screws on the outside. Is it OK to just put like eight screws on the inside instead??? It's a 3450 lb. bracket/street car that runs 10.20's with a 1.40 60' leaving off a trans brake. I'm running a M/T 29.5-11.5-15 ET Drag on a 10" rim with tubes. Any info/suggestions are appreciated!!!

Not a good move... as/if the tire slips on the outside
it pulls the tire inboard and off the bead
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 04:04 PM

I've never run a tire/wheel combo that small so maybe I'm way off base here but I think you need them on both sides. I wouldn't want the tire slipping on the outside and becoming distorted. I would use 16 rather than 8. I think it looks better and IMO the Cad plated Moroso's don't look too bad.
Posted By: Voluster

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 04:04 PM

You have 2 options

use the screws on both sides

Or loose the tubes and run Hi tack on beads of the tires

But I wouldn't just do the inside with screws
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 04:46 PM

I always run tubes in the tires with 8 screws on each side.Was having some problems,was told lose the tubes and screws. I now run my 34.5X17-16 without either.No more problems and I marked the wheel @ the valve stem & they have not moved.

So I say try them without screws or tubes,you can always add them later if needed.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 05:33 PM

Quote:

I did that several years back on some polish rims, I din't use the tubes though I now don't use tubes or rim screws so its another I wouldn't hesitate to try it, take your shoe polish and mark the rim and tire on the outside by the valve core and watch it for movement, mine move about one inch and stop
Posted By: rebel

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 05:44 PM

i'm on my 6th season with my slicks only screwed on the inside. i was concerned at first about the slick moving on the outside so i used to paint dots on the slick & rim. they never moved. 32x14x15 slicks with 1.3 '60's.
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 05:53 PM

Interesting, no screws? Maybe if I ever get new wheels I'll give that a try.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 06:01 PM

Man I hate to get involved in a rim screw thread after what I have seen on other boards in the past.

IMO either screw both sides or don't run screws at all.

I dont run them anymore but the quickest I have been in door cars is the 9s.

I think you really ave to be pushing the 60 ft envelope to need them and at that point you mayes well run bead locks if your that fast.
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 06:20 PM

I feel rim screws are cheap insurance against what "could" happen. And nothing to me says "hot car" better than rim screws on a street car. So I think they are attractive rather then "clutter"

Although I will have to admit after several years of announcing, I have yet to see track cleanup or downtime due to a lack of rim screws.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 08:33 PM

I have, a Mustang at Dragway42 lost the seal on one side of the tire and went over the guardrail due to having screws on one side of the rim.

340Rick turned me onto some nice screws from Fastenal that have a small head on them and can even be polished.
Posted By: wyoming

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 09:23 PM

I run the screws, but if you have some wheels you don't want screws in and want to be perfectly kosher, run the Radial slicks, don't need any screws in those.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/19/10 09:29 PM

rim screws must also be indexed(straight across from each other) or it may steer the car like Mr P said.
Posted By: SnakeEisz67

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 02:56 AM

Quote:

I ran screws on just 1 side of some 8.5" Convo-Pros before without any issues. This was on 3300 lbs. A body with 28x10 & 29.10" slicks. Car ran mid 10's at time. I was footbraking at time though. Finally went ahead and added screws on outside of rim after hearing & reading of others having problems with just one side "screwed".
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 03:18 AM

dont run, never have, never will ,
dont need them
unles youre a top fuel , pro stock car
or something like that no need
do what ever tho
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 04:50 AM

I've read that some rims come with bead locks on only one side due to back spacing interfearance,, do you screw the other?

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 05:05 AM

Quote:

dont run, never have, never will ,
dont need them
unles youre a top fuel , pro stock car
or something like that no need
do what ever tho

I'm going to strongly dissagree with this. Perhaps YOU have never needed them, but most guys that run bias-ply slicks with tubes on a car thats 60's under 1.5 are likely dealing with beads moving on the rims. Last year we watched my buddies nova slide the slicks 6" in just 4 runs (10.90's, 60-ing at about 1.5 & out the back door at 125ish) This can be a major safety issue as the tube which is pressurized to the tire will want to move with the tire. The valve-stem in this scenario will be the weak link. You want to blow a tube at 130 mph?? Have at it.... Me?, I'm taking the safe & simple option of adding a couple of screws to the rims.
Posted By: dave571

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 05:54 AM

I've marked slicks on 13 second cars and seen them move.

That said, I ran without for many years without a problem.

After seeing them move, I like knowing that mine aren't going to anymore
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 06:37 AM

you say your new rims are pretty..how are they gonna look if you pull you valve stem out and you hit the wall or hit the guy in the lane next 2 you.
get the screws.
Posted By: mr. 63plymouth

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/20/10 07:34 AM

I agree you dont need them,I run mid 9z on a 10" tire,with sixty fts in the thirties no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached picture 5747460-HPIM34773.jpg
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/21/10 02:39 AM

Quote:

I agree you dont need them,I run mid 9z on a 10" tire,with sixty fts in the thirties no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree..... and I don't bother with smoke detectors in my house because its never burnt down!
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/21/10 05:09 PM

thats a funny
like i said run what ya want
dont bother me
13 sec car turning the tire from the rim
good drugs you have there
guess need to screw my rims on my dak

next i will have to put them on the front
runner because when i put on the brakes to stop i dont want the front to break lose ha ha
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/21/10 09:16 PM

I had 2 private messages asking about the screws I mentioned so I figured I'd post them here, they are part #29981 at Fastenal, and here's a link with a photo............

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=Product:29981&ucst=t

They look nice on the wheel and don't look big and bulky like the Summit brand screws I use to run.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 05:17 AM

Quote:

I've marked slicks on 13 second cars and seen them move.

That said, I ran without for many years without a problem.

when i started getting serious about dragracing & bought quality rims & started using MT Streets, i used to paint dots by the stem. i discovered you could get movement on 13 second times if the slick was recently fitted to the rim & the soap they used for slipping on the bead was still damp. i remember fitting the slicks on a saturday afternoon & racing on a sunday & seeing 3" of movement by days end. i swapped the slicks side for side for the next meeting 3 weeks later. be lucky if i got 1/2" of movement. the following & all subscequent meetings got zero movement. next time i fitted slicks i did it a month out from the first meeting. zero movement. my conclusions is was all down to the soap drying out. these days my tyre man uses very mildly soapy water on my slicks & i make sure slicks are fitted 2 weeks plus before the first meeting. i only screw the back of the slick & use metal tek screws which i fit using the cordless drill. easy to remove at tyre changing time. i still put a dot by the stem but it's always zero movement. 1.32 60's are my best.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 05:36 AM

For the original poster... you could get some nice
button head screws that would look nice and not have
any issues.... the lower the pressure the easier it
is to spin the tire on the rim... for instance my
pressure is only 7# with a 1.19 60', I use to run
6 3/4#... I also run tubes to get more life out of
my tires... I wouldnt think of not running screws
but thats me

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 06:37 AM

Quote:

No drugs bud. Just a real life observation in the pits.

I don't need you to believe it, but I do, cause I was there, and saw it.

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 06:43 AM

Quote:

when i started getting serious about dragracing & bought quality rims & started using MT Streets, i used to paint dots by the stem. i discovered you could get movement on 13 times if the slick was recently fitted to the rim & the soap they used for slipping on the bead was still damp. i remember fitting the slicks on a saturday afternoon & racing on a sunday & seeing 3" of movement by days end. i swapped the slicks side for side for the next meeting 3 weeks later. be lucky if i got 1/2" of movement. the following & all subscequent meetings got zero movement. next time i fitted slicks i did it a month out from the first meeting. zero movement. my conclusions is was all down to the soap drying out. these days my tyre man uses very mildly soapy water on my slicks & i make sure slicks are fitted 2 weeks plus before the first meeting. i only screw the back of the slick & use metal tek screws which i fit using the cordless drill. easy to remove at tyre changing time. i still put a dot by the stem but it's always zero movement. 1.32 60's are my best.

That's a good point.

I don't recall how long the tires had been on the wheels. This was about 6 years ago, on a buddy's car.

I likely installed the slicks myself, at my shop, but that long ago, it's hard to say if it was the day before or not. It could have been.
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 03:31 PM

1.02 60 foots no screws you do the math

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No drugs bud. Just a real life observation in the pits.

I don't need you to believe it, but I do, cause I was there, and saw it.

I have seen it and experienced it first hand. here's what I have found, seems like the smaller the tire the more it slips. I have run large slicks with no screws and had 0 problems. I have run a small tire with a slow car and had slip. so go figure.
Posted By: 1976 Aspen

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 04:56 PM

I appreciate and value everyone's opinion. After careful consideration, I think I'm going to screw both sides but using only eight screws per side as well. It might keep the clutter down???
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree..... and I don't bother with smoke detectors in my house because its never burnt down!

I don't care who you are, that's just funny!
Me, I use 16 screws on each side of the wheel. Cost me about $12 and some time. Rather be safe than sorry. It only takes one time for the tire to break the bead and hopefully you don't take anyone else out when it happens.

Re: Rim screws on the inside only??? - 01/22/10 06:07 PM

Quote:

I appreciate and value everyone's opinion. After careful consideration, I think I'm going to screw both sides but using only eight screws per side as well. It might keep the clutter down???

use an idex wheel or make sure they are evenly spaced and straight across front to back.
© 2024 Moparts Forums