Moparts

F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video

Posted By: DaveDudek

F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 09:11 PM

OK, after 3 solid years of racing I finally pulled the Hemi out to be freshen up, with help from Jeff were gonna try to find a few more HP`s to keep the Mopars out in front yet another year..

I took the Hemi over to Modern Clyinder Head a couple days ago and today we fired her up to get some "before" results before we tear into her. After about 160 passes, 7500 shifts, 7700 through the traps, here`s what she did. We did not move the timing or jet the carbs as of yet. Click here to see dyno sheets: Dyno Sheets Click HERE!! 770HP

For video click picture below:

Just thought you guy`s might enjoy it...
Posted By: domingo

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 09:25 PM

cant see the dyno sheets??
Posted By: aarmaniac

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 09:29 PM

Dave that is about what you expected. Got to keep one step ahead of the pack to maintain your winning ways.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 09:30 PM

Wow, Dave. Sounds great. Can you get some pics of the Elephant on the pump? Good luck. Tell the guys I said hey !!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 09:32 PM

very nice maybe i should shift my hemi at 7300 and maybe pickup some, ive been sfiting at 6700.
nice job dave.
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:08 PM

Very Nice!!!
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:35 PM

dave,is that pull with headers or exhaust manifols? nice vid

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:42 PM

It's with stock manifolds, were not even gonna try headers.
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:48 PM

Quote:

It's with stock manifolds, were not even gonna try headers.

just wondered. sounds like headers! cant tell by looking at the vid. that thing screams. im sure you'll be at the top again with a hammer like that.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:51 PM

cool beans i know jeff will help you out
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:52 PM

No kidding! That thing is making some NOISE!
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:56 PM

Quote:

cant see the dyno sheets??

How's this

Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 10:59 PM

Great sounding motor
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 11:00 PM

Sounds great, Dave......
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/16/10 11:31 PM

we hit 7500 or so and dave said "it really sounds like that thing is screaming",, i didnt think about it at the time but after he left i thought,, i wonder what he would think standing there when i run my hemi to 9000...
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 01:28 AM

I'm sure Lynn Balek is proud to have his name on that great Hemi dyno sheet!

Attached picture 5739968-mopar_resize.jpg
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 01:38 AM

Quote:

we hit 7500 or so and dave said "it really sounds like that thing is screaming",, i didnt think about it at the time but after he left i thought,, i wonder what he would think standing there when i run my hemi to 9000...

Hope ya got 'em covered dave Jeff,,,how bout a video,,,,,,or even just audio of 9000+ RPM through the big pipes
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:07 AM

Interested in trying that Hemi in a A Body Dave?

I'll volunteer
Posted By: HemiDave

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:31 AM

Simply AWESOME!! Way to go, Dave!!

Dave
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 03:09 AM

that sounded absolutely AWESOME! thanks for posting that. sounds like it's got a turbo or something, instant WHAAAAAAA
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 04:36 AM

When you told me how much torque the engine made I thought you were confused...Now i'm the one confused
Posted By: sogtx

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 05:46 AM

Quote:

When you told me how much torque the engine made I thought you were confused...Now i'm the one confused

when i looked at my dyno sheets my torque was low too.. Cam ? Manifold ? Whatever it is seems to work for him .

Posted By: Steve1118

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 01:31 PM

Dave, I know you guys are limited by rules regarding oiling systems.

A lot of folks say that kind of rpm's is a no-no with an internal pickup system. I notice no external pickups.....is there anything special you do to the oiling system to make it live?

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 01:45 PM

Quote:

Dave, I know you guys are limited by rules regarding oiling systems.

A lot of folks say that kind of rpm's is a no-no with an internal pickup system. I notice no external pickups.....is there anything special you do to the oiling system to make it live?

For the last 3 years all i have ran is a stock oil pump (no hi-volume or pressure) and the stock pick-up. I didn`t notice it in the car but the oil pressure drops 5 lbs from 6000 to 7500 RPM.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 01:55 PM

very impressive sounding and it sure makes some power!!

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 01:58 PM

Quote:

Yea, after looking at actual dyno results it seems odd that a engine with all stock stuff (modified, of course but restrictive none the less) and 496 cubes made a low peak TQ number and close to 6000rpm to boot, carried 750HP from 7000 to 7500 RPM and never fell off. Cam is 248/256 on a 114.

I`ve been shifting at 7500, maybe it would go faster shifting higher yet??
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:09 PM

"For the last 3 years all i have ran is a stock oil pump (no hi-volume or pressure) and the stock pick-up. I didn`t notice it in the car but the oil pressure drops 5 lbs from 6000 to 7500 RPM."

That's with the MP 6qut oil pan, correct? Any scarpers or any such animal? Has there been any sign of bearing issues when the motor is disassembled?

Just wondering. Thanks!!
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:11 PM

I think Wow summed it up pretty well
Posted By: HPMike

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:33 PM

Quote:

"For the last 3 years all i have ran is a stock oil pump (no hi-volume or pressure) and the stock pick-up. I didn`t notice it in the car but the oil pressure drops 5 lbs from 6000 to 7500 RPM."

That's with the MP 6qut oil pan, correct? Any scarpers or any such animal? Has there been any sign of bearing issues when the motor is disassembled?

Just wondering. Thanks!!

Steve,FWIW,

On an engine I built for FAST, he generally runs 6,800-7K through the traps. I have incorporated some oil mods,(scraper, unidirectional screen,"blueprinted" pump and a 3/8" pickup), stock pan but nothing exotic. I have never seen any bearing issues on teardowns.

MB
Posted By: HPMike

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yea, after looking at actual dyno results it seems odd that a engine with all stock stuff (modified, of course but restrictive none the less) and 496 cubes made a low peak TQ number and close to 6000rpm to boot, carried 750HP from 7000 to 7500 RPM and never fell off. Cam is 248/256 on a 114.

I guess that torque number kinda explains why the car launches and gets out as well as it does.

MB

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 02:46 PM

Daves car knocked the mains out no too long ago. That can't be a good sign
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 04:36 PM

Nice!

Good luck next year Dave!
Posted By: BSB67

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 05:20 PM

Quote:

FWIW - in my car, because of the large rpm drop at shift recovery, especially between 1st and 2nd, the car is fastest shifting about 600 to 700 rpm over peak hp. I'm sure its a function of the power curve after peak, and the torque converter. Because of my unique converter choice, this would probably not apply to most cars. but I thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks for share all this info!
Posted By: torkrules

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 07:19 PM

Quote:

OK, after 3 solid years of racing I finally pulled the Hemi out to be freshen up, with help from Jeff were gonna try to find a few more HP`s to keep the Mopars out in front yet another year..

I took the Hemi over to Modern Clyinder Head a couple days ago and today we fired her up to get some "before" results before we tear into her. After about 160 passes, 7500 shifts, 7700 through the traps, here`s what she did. We did not move the timing or jet the carbs as of yet. Click here to see dyno sheets: Dyno Sheets Click HERE!! 770HP

For video click picture below:

Just thought you guy`s might enjoy it...

That's inspirational! Thanks Dave!

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 08:09 PM

Quote:

Daves car knocked the mains out no too long ago. That can't be a good sign

actually the "car" didnt knock them out,, he runs a babbit main,, babbit bearings wont usually go 50 runs because they are soft,, he just left them in too long,, has nothing to do with oil pressure/aeration or anything other than # of cycles

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 08:16 PM

Ahhh, I see.

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/17/10 10:39 PM

Man I thought that was old school , No Clevite ?
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 12:47 AM

Dave, what do you think your air filter setup would do to your AFR? Before you took it off the dyno, did you try leaning it out a little?

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 01:10 AM

We will be doing more dyno pulls, these were just the initial results pulled right from the RR. I`ll be stopping by Modern tomorrow.. We will be leaning out the carb a ton, moving valve lash and i`ll be waiting for a special package from Joel Nystrom. Were hoping for a for a nice HP increase once the package arrives, from there i`ll be leaning on Jeff heavily to find HP.. We (the Chrysler camp) will need everything we can get to stay near the top next year.
Posted By: hemi4speed

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 01:36 AM

Wow!! Dave had to play that a few times.Good Luck keeping the Mopar Colors on Top!
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 01:53 AM

Dave

I guess I will be fighting the giants agian this year?? Hope the new package as a little more smoke

Attached picture 5742365-2.JPG

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 02:35 AM

Ed that car looks great , i cant wait to see the smoke off those skinny tires I keep Hoping Maple grove in April , Will it be ready ?????

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 02:55 AM

Hey Eddie, were gonna need all the smoke you and Mike can make this year. I have NO doubt you`ll be runnning at the top of the heap. The Mopars will be ready for battle..

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 03:14 AM

Andy

It will be ready for the spring. Just waiting on two Modern items!

Looks like we will be at the Valley not Maple Grove though
Posted By: BradH

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 04:23 PM

Quote:

X2... since I run the MP 6-qt pan, too.
Posted By: domingo

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 05:00 PM

Good job Dave

Domingo

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

X2... since I run the MP 6-qt pan, too.

I`m running a 6qt pan, crank scraper and a screen.

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 05:31 PM

Any additional baffles added to the pan?

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 05:38 PM

NO, just a stock repo pan..

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/18/10 05:39 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/26/10 02:54 AM

sounds great Dave!!
and great numbers too!! 770hp is huge!!

its interesting to see the differences in the way different shops test things.
when i dyno a FAST type motor, i like to run it as close as possible to the way it will be run in the car.
belt driven W/P, air filters in place, and the water temp in the 160-170 range.

Attached picture 5760139-IMG_1445.JPG
Posted By: F1Scamp

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/26/10 01:01 PM

Quote:

Dave

I guess I will be fighting the giants agian this year?? Hope the new package as a little more smoke

Your going to have to look out for those pesky yellow smallblocks in the mix too...

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/26/10 04:55 PM

You will have your hands full with the new small blocks coming out on the scene Brian. How bout a big block Pontiac that we are going to call a small block
Posted By: F1Scamp

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/26/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

You will have your hands full with the new small blocks coming out on the scene Brian. How bout a big block Pontiac that we are going to call a small block

But the main bearing size is..... Yeah I heard about that one. Power to weight. Thats all I have to say. lol
If it can't be done with the street motor maybe we will have to step it up to a race motor.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/26/10 06:20 PM

Nice to see a guy who is not worried about keeping secrets about his setup!!!
Thanks Dave, great info.
Posted By: mickm

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/26/10 10:33 PM

Quote:

For the last 3 years all i have ran is a stock oil pump (no hi-volume or pressure) and the stock pick-up. I didn`t notice it in the car but the oil pressure drops 5 lbs from 6000 to 7500 RPM.

i first read that as "but the oil pressure drops TO 5 lbs from 6000 to 7500 RPM

glad i misread it!

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/27/10 02:15 AM

dwyane noone runs 160-170 degree water in a drag race motor that i know... dave will run this in his car as close to 100 or colder if he can,, probably 120-140 if he is bracket type racing..

he left the air filter out for his own reasons and water pump... i dont know why but maybe he wanted to see how much power it makes without that stuff,,, he still need an aircleaner,, but there may be ways around that water pump,,, for people who look for every last hp

it was really just a baseline so dave could see where he was at,, so when it goes back together he knows he needs 800,, the same way,, no air cleaner,, etc...
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/27/10 04:28 AM

Dave, more Hemi wire sets are almost done. They are coming with me to WPC. So will our race max wedge sets. All except one going East.

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/27/10 12:34 PM

Rick, i`m looking fwd to those wires.

As far as the dyno testing, Jeff`s right with the water temp. When i`m at the track i like to keep the water temp in the 100/120 area if possible. FAST is a heads-up class and i need to go fast. AS far as dyno`ing with the water pump, alt, air cleaner, etc,etc... I dyno lots of engines, i have a plastic container with the stuff i bring when dyno`ing a motor. Bottom line it`s just easier for me, that `s the way i do it. I`m just using the engine dyno as a basic tool, i`ll do the fine tuning on the rear wheel dyno or at the track while i`m using the complete exhaust system, fuel system, and all the stuff we actually have to run with, in the car were using.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/27/10 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

But the main bearing size is..... Yeah I heard about that one.

Seriously?

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/27/10 05:37 PM

Yep

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/27/10 09:59 PM

I thought they where all small blocks??

Or are you just being sarcastic Tommy
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/28/10 03:13 AM

Loving the way that Hemi sounds when it is wound up, WOW!!
Posted By: 383man

Re: F.A.S.T. Hemi dyno results/video - 01/28/10 03:24 AM

What can a Mopar lover say but........................WoW !! Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums