Moparts

Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me !

Posted By: 383man

Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:30 AM

I guy at work has a 454 Chevelle with 4.10's and nice sounding cam. Dont know all specs on the eng but his best et is 12.70's @ 108. He told me last week he is putting some spay on it this year so now he will beat my 63. I told him he needs 11.40's to be in the ballgame and that I will still beat him even with him on the spray. I honestly think it should run much better as it is right now but he does not know alot on tuning his combo. I guess we shall see this summer. Ron
Posted By: dave571

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:36 AM

Some of those are quite heavy, despite the fat they they appear smaller than our mopars. What year is the chevelle?

He will need the juice to catch you
tuned or not
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:38 AM

If he can't tune it right now, what makes him think he can do it W/ No2 and not blow something up?
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:40 AM

Quote:

If he can't tune it right now, what makes him think he can do it W/ No2 and not blow something up?

I've always loved that line of thinking.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:47 AM

That`s cuz it takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar !

Attached picture 5729418-IMG_2526.jpg

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:56 AM

He is one of those guys who thinks he knows alot but he just knows alot of BS as I can tell from talking to him and how his car runs. He also always has an excuse as to why it isn't running faster. It is a 70 Chevelle. Ron
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 05:16 AM

Quote:

He is one of those guys who thinks he knows alot but he just knows alot of BS as I can tell from talking to him and how his car runs. He also always has an excuse as to why it isn't running faster. It is a 70 Chevelle. Ron

Tell him to get a bigger kit... he'll need it... that
should get him
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 05:40 AM

Quote:

I know a lot of people like that. Unfortunately that comes with being 20 years old. I never could talk to any of the 'car guys' in high school. lol. I think your son and Andy are two of the few around my age that actually know what they're talking about.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 05:48 AM

guess i'm just warped but if you really think it's a matter of tuning first thing that comes to my mind is to see if he'll let you tune it and make it faster...then race him.
Posted By: StripeHOG

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 11:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I know a lot of people like that. Unfortunately that comes with being 20 years old. I never could talk to any of the 'car guys' in high school. lol. I think your son and Andy are two of the few around my age that actually know what they're talking about.

Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 11:45 AM

I've always said the best thing for a Chevy parts house is a fast Mopar. There has been quite a few guys in my area that run my class start spending money to try and catch me lately. It's funny because I'm one of the only ones with a Mopar around here and I build my own stuff and I'm 27. It really gets to those older Chevy guys. I hope he never catches you.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 01:22 PM

There are two guys in my neighborhood like that , one has a 70 Nova with a 4 hundred something inch big block, the other a big small block powered Grand Prix.Both are driven to the track Off spray the GP goes 11.30s and the Nova 10.60s on spray Nova 10.00 and the GP 10.80s. The Nova has Cal Tracs and small tires( no mini tub) spins badly every time he sprays.I told him he should minitub it and put some tire on it, the GP guy supposedly a guru tells me "theres cars running in the 8s on those tires so he should too" Okay! At least I know my little 363 goes 10.50s with no spray on a 10.5 tire.

Posted By: MegaDart

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 01:24 PM

I don't!!
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 01:32 PM

Quote:

Maybe he watched all 4 of the Fast and the furious movies
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 02:39 PM

Quote:

I don't!!

X2....

Rickster
Posted By: Bakaruda432

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 03:28 PM

Nitrous is a Fickle mistress seems everyone who worships at that alter brings a few engines home in an oily sack.

Hats off to your N/A Mopar.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 03:30 PM

tighten up the lash some Ron and put the hammer down.
Posted By: preddy

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:45 PM

Hah! You'll spank him Ron... Tell him "bottles are for babies"!
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 04:55 PM

Quote:

Some of those are quite heavy, despite the fat they they appear smaller than our mopars. What year is the chevelle?

He will need the juice to catch you
tuned or not

My 68 chevelle with 468 weighed in at right around 4000 lbs. They are indeed pretty heavy.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

and for chevies....lol
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 06:45 PM

well the guy must be a dumb a&&
MY BUDDY HAS A 70 CHEVELLE WITH A STOCK 454 WITH OVEL HEADS AND CAST IRON INTAKE NO HEADERS AND 331 GEARS AND IT GOES 12.60S. IT A TURBO 400 TRANS WITH A 2500 CONVERTER AND A QUADRAJET
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 07:12 PM

dont under estimate those chebies my buddy has a 66 chevelle with a 427 4sp ,it sounds like a pretty mild build just listening to it,runs on pump gas.10.99 1/4 mi.and he cant drive worth a crap.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 07:58 PM

That`s all I`ve ever lost to.........mostly chevys and a few fords sprinkled in on spray but, that was my old 360 stock stroke engine and once w/my old 10.40 big block. The boys up here that street race run in the 8`s and 9`s.....no joke.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 08:04 PM

Quote:

That`s all I`ve ever lost to.........mostly chevys and a few fords sprinkled in on spray but, that was my old 360 stock stroke engine and once w/my old 10.40 big block. The boys up here that street race run in the 8`s and 9`s.....no joke.

Thats the same as around here. I was only beat by chev SB on spray, too. It still seems like cheating to me because half of 'em wont tell you they have it. I think the reason chevy guys spray so much is they dont care about their motors as much as mopar guys. After all, those 350s and 454a are a dime a dozen, they can always get another one tomorrow..lol
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 08:12 PM

Plus, most of the nos guy`s I`ve dealt with don`t totally tune the motor for peak performance stating that the nos makes it`s own atmosphere and power so why bother.

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 10:56 PM

Quote:

dont under estimate those chebies my buddy has a 66 chevelle with a 427 4sp ,it sounds like a pretty mild build just listening to it,runs on pump gas.10.99 1/4 mi.and he cant drive worth a crap.

Oh I know the Chevy's can make good power and run good and so can Fords when built right. How good a car runs to me is by whats in the combo. What would you respect more..........I high dollar 500 cube built strong stroker car running in the 11's or a stock 400 cube car with headers running high 12's. You look at whats in the combo and then decide how good it runs. I just feel that a 454 Chevy with what he has in his eng (his is built as much or more then my very mild 440) should run easy mid to low 12's with 4.10's and a nice converter. Heck my old 383 Dart with stock bottom end and heads that had the .484 cam and 3.91's ran 12.30's. It had 452 heads that we did some mild bowl blending and that was all. I would normally not even say anything but he had to run his mouth and even bragged that he could beat my buddies 340 Duster that ran 12.80's. Gee his 454 picks on a 340 car. I drove the Duster as it has to much gear and was pulling over 7000 rpm's 100 ft before the finish line. I feel very sure it has 12.50's in it with a taller tire. And he runs his mouth saying how his Chevy is going to catch me. If it takes some spray to do it I feel sorry for him as he has a bigger eng then me right now ! Ron
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/12/10 11:16 PM

Bigger engine, heavier? so what, that's the way Chevrolet made 'em so run as you brung I would say.
In all fair trade, He has a Big Block, you have a Big Block, you should get a small break from him being that he is on the steroids.
If not don't even bother.
He might even blow up trying to waste you or he will go up in tire smoke and not know what to do. I once had a big small block blow off one side of his headers with a shot of the cold stuff trying to catch me. He was good at chemistry, but not that night.
Posted By: jnkgal

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 01:27 AM

Quote:

them wheelies under the front end do they call them training wheels

Attached picture 5730876-outlaw.jpg
Posted By: 340B5

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 01:58 AM

Quote:

How about "bring your bottle, and your binky too"
Posted By: preddy

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 03:10 AM

Quote:

I guy at work has a 454 Chevelle with 4.10's and nice sounding cam. Dont know all specs on the eng but his best et is 12.70's @ 108. He told me last week he is putting some spay on it this year so now he will beat my 63. I told him he needs 11.40's to be in the ballgame and that I will still beat him even with him on the spray. I honestly think it should run much better as it is right now but he does not know alot on tuning his combo. I guess we shall see this summer. Ron

Ron,

I've been thinking about this and I have a solution. I think I can even help you make some money in the process. You tell him to make it "fair" , you'll disconnect your secondaries and run on the 2bbl - just the primaries. That way, he doesn't have to spend the $500 or so on a NOS kit to try to beat you. HOWEVER, if you schpaaank him again he's got to pay you the $500 or some portion of the $500 that he would have spent on the NOS. I think you'd still run a low 12 on the 2bbl and beat him by 2-4 car lengths. Think about it, after you beat him, you'll be able to say you did it on a 2bbl and get some $ in the process.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

them wheelies under the front end do they call them training wheels

them are dollies ...............
Posted By: HEMI472

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 03:29 AM

if you are worried call monte and get some nos for yor car

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 05:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Ron,

I've been thinking about this and I have a solution. I think I can even help you make some money in the process. You tell him to make it "fair" , you'll disconnect your secondaries and run on the 2bbl - just the primaries. That way, he doesn't have to spend the $500 or so on a NOS kit to try to beat you. HOWEVER, if you schpaaank him again he's got to pay you the $500 or some portion of the $500 that he would have spent on the NOS. I think you'd still run a low 12 on the 2bbl and beat him by 2-4 car lengths. Think about it, after you beat him, you'll be able to say you did it on a 2bbl and get some $ in the process.

Good idea Joe. Hey I just noticed that your Runner on the 2 BBL runs the same 11.49 as my best et. We would make a good race if you run on your 2 BBL. Ron
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 11:26 AM

I dont understand it, why are mopar people are so down on spray, it costs alot to build a good spray motor, maybe its not in alot of mopar owners budgets since our stuff costs so much already, or it lack of understanding it.

In the street world if your not spoolin or sprayin, your watching.

This sounds no different then the mopar guy who puts the 509 cam in a 8.5 comp motor and wonders why its a dog. But it sounds good

Everyone knows good well match parts are the ticket, just sounds like this chevy is not one of them.

If this chevy was a rep for all chevies, no chevy would ever win...which is not the case.

Sounds like your chevy guy knows the 509 8.5 comp mopar guy.

There are many small block n/a chevies around,or small block mopars as well that would be more then happy to match race your car, ....all you have to do is say "Pick Me"
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 11:49 AM

This reminds me of my buddy with a Chevelle. We both started building new motors for our cars around the same time. I was building a 499 he was building a 496. He has more cam, about the same compression, a 1050 4500 to my 950 4150, a Powerglide to my 727, bigger heads, more tire, and we weigh about the same. My car is maybe 30-40lbs heavier. He runs 6.30-6.40's and I run 6.0-6.10's. Man does it make him mad! Hope to run some 5.90's this year.
Posted By: Von

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 03:22 PM

A good friend has a 72 SS Chevelle that with a iron head small block, steel wheels, AC, PS, etc weighs 3500-3550. On the same scales my 72 RR weighed 3850.Id guess the same car with a BB would weigh 3800??

Another guy from high school has a 70 LS6 Chevelle, 11.5 to 1 comp, solid roller, square port heads, 4.11s, etc. I do believe he ran a best of 12.25. At the time my 72 RR, with a hyd cammed 10 to 1 440 was in the 12.40s and had quite a bit left in it.. Id hope that the 'Velle has/had ALOT left in it, but dont know.
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/13/10 03:43 PM

I'll add a Chevelle story! Raced a guy at a street race that a group gets together at local airports in PA/OH. It's called the flashlight drags for those that now it and it's all legal. Anyway, during the drivers meeting the guy calls me out first thing ("I want that guy in the red cuda"). Must have seen me run the previous rear. His LS6 was early 70ish (don't care to make a note of which one, they're basically all the same anyway).

Contrary to the rules LS6 guy trailered his vehicle to the event! He outruns me, by about two cars. The interesting thing is I see him actually down at PRP one T&T and he's running 10.80's. Talked to a buddy of his that told me the things got over 600 ci (I think it was 630 something) and two shots of NOS!!!! What a POS!!!

Re: Chevy racer needs the spray to beat me ! - 01/14/10 12:10 AM

Quote:

I dont understand it, why are mopar people are so down on spray, it costs alot to build a good spray motor, maybe its not in alot of mopar owners budgets since our stuff costs so much already, or it lack of understanding it.

In the street world if your not spoolin or sprayin, your watching.

This sounds no different then the mopar guy who puts the 509 cam in a 8.5 comp motor and wonders why its a dog. But it sounds good

Everyone knows good well match parts are the ticket, just sounds like this chevy is not one of them.

If this chevy was a rep for all chevies, no chevy would ever win...which is not the case.

Sounds like your chevy guy knows the 509 8.5 comp mopar guy.

There are many small block n/a chevies around,or small block mopars as well that would be more then happy to match race your car, ....all you have to do is say "Pick Me"

First off I am not looking for a race or running my mouth as he is ! Second I know there is always cars faster then ours whether its a smallblock or bigblock . But if I want to say ...Pick Me... I would look for a car in my class without spray as I know my car runs good for what is done to it. I am not looking to spray and never will as I just like my car to run like it would have run in the 60's since I basically built it the same way. If I ask to race someone its all in good fun not because I run my mouth. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums