Moparts

Mounted my alt

Posted By: Quicktree

Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 03:13 PM

spent the last few days mounting my alt and re-doing my motor plate mounts

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 03:14 PM

used a regular old GM bracket from jegs. cut the spacers to fit.
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 03:14 PM

Looks great!! What alternator did you use?

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 03:16 PM

will fire it up in a lttle while to see if it works
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 03:42 PM

Looks like a great install.
When you get a chance, paint or polish those spacers so they look as good as everything else.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

When you get a chance, paint or polish those spacers so they look as good as everything else.

Plus those intake manifold bolts. Where'd you get those, sweep them up down by the pier out of a salt water puddle? Seriously, looks good. It's nice seeing people actually working on their cars.

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

thanks, you sound like dusterdave. I will take care of all that after the season. when the motor comes out. not much I could do with all the cut and welding marks left behind. I touched them up the best I could.
Posted By: dc426

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 04:22 PM

Tony, where'd you get the alt and the bracket?
DC

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 04:25 PM

Quote:

Tony, where'd you get the alt and the bracket?
DC

the bracket is just an elcheapo GM bracket from jegs I think. was like $19 bucks. the alt is just a mini 1 wire. I bought it off a board member. you can get them anywhere.

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 05:47 PM

wooohooo it works, 14.6 volts at idle
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 05:56 PM

That's the bracket I was looking for!! Thanks Tony.

Looks good too!!
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 07:46 PM

14.6 volts is great but how many amps? Will it keep up with all the current draw at idle or puttering in the pits? Or do you tow the car?

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 07:47 PM

Guess I should've been more specific. Is that 14.6 volts with everything running, fans pumps etc?

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 07:58 PM

Quote:

Guess I should've been more specific. Is that 14.6 volts with everything running, fans pumps etc?

I think it was an 80 amp but not sure didn't get any paper work with it. didn't have the fan and water pump on. I will still charge the batt betweeb rounds so it doesn't matter. it will be better than before and I didn't have any problems just charging the batt between rounds.

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 08:04 PM

Looks like a nice clean install. Batteries in the trunk? Did you run a big wire all the way back or?

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 08:10 PM

Quote:

Looks like a nice clean install. Batteries in the trunk? Did you run a big wire all the way back or?

I used the #8 wire that came with the painless kit. if were running more than a few minutes at a time I may have run something larger. I talked with Jason who use to work for painless and he said it would be fine. thats what they use on most of their kits. I have used a #1o in the past with no problems. I know some who use bigger but I think it will be fine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/10/10 08:26 PM

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thanks, you sound like dusterdave. I will take care of all that after the season. when the motor comes out. not much I could do with all the cut and welding marks left behind. I touched them up the best I could.

And while you're at it, replace those rusty intake bolts with polished stainless steel bolts!!!

I will if you send me some
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 09:29 PM

One wire altenator questions....

Do you only have ONE wire? I think the "Mad" site (or whoever it is- I'm sure somebody will chime in) is adamant about running more than just one wire on the "one wire" alternators, the way the internal regulator reacts or something.
I bought a 200 amp 1 wire alternator and THEN read the stuff about 1 wire alternators, just wondering if you had read the same stuff or not...?

The install looks good!

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 09:51 PM

Quote:

Do you only have ONE wire? I think the "Mad" site (or whoever it is- I'm sure somebody will chime in) is adamant about running more than just one wire on the "one wire" alternators, the way the internal regulator reacts or something.
I bought a 200 amp 1 wire alternator and THEN read the stuff about 1 wire alternators, just wondering if you had read the same stuff or not...?

The install looks good!

yes I only have one wire 200 anp dang what are trying to power the space shuttle I have a race car not a moble factory. I know what mad says and don't really care. they work for a race car and thats good enough for me
Posted By: dc426

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 10:29 PM

Hey, did you wire a "cut off switch"? Or is it active all the time?

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 11:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The install looks good!

yes I only have one wire 200 anp dang what are trying to power the space shuttle I have a race car not a moble factory. I know what mad says and don't really care. they work for a race car and thats good enough for me

My car has electronic stuff galore, dual fans, PW, EFI, stereo, lots of grah-bage.
If YOUUUU aren't worried about the MAD site, I ain't gonna worry about it either!

One of us burns, we both burn!

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/10/10 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The install looks good!

My car has electronic stuff galore, dual fans, PW, EFI, stereo, lots of grah-bage.
If YOUUUU aren't worried about the MAD site, I ain't gonna worry about it either!

if yours is street driven you may want to re-think that.

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/11/10 12:01 AM

Quote:

Hey, did you wire a "cut off switch"? Or is it active all the time?

all the time, I am a bracket racer we tried Woody's with and without the belt on. made no difference in ET back to back passes.

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/11/10 12:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The install looks good!

I've already rethought it!
I'm running more than one wire on my one wire, but I didn't wanna tell YOU!

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/11/10 12:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The install looks good!

no worry it will never make it out of the garage

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/11/10 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The install looks good!

no worry it will never make it out of the garage

I would have to burn the Jensen to get it out....

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/11/10 12:13 AM

you should have burned that fish bowl a long time ago
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Mounted my alt - 01/11/10 05:21 PM

Looks good Quick............you don`t even wanna see my set up.
© 2024 Moparts Forums