What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides

Posted By: Kam*Kuda

What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides - 01/03/10 07:48 PM

What is your most important guages
assuming voltage oil pressure and Tach are already done

or what gauge was more valuable to you than you thought
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 07:50 PM

Since I drive my dart w/an 8" vert, I like a trans temp gauge also. Re read post duh.........definately a water temp also!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 07:50 PM

Other then a shift light, oil pressure gauge, and water temp, the rest is all clutter. ONLY thing I would think useful to a auto trans user would be a trans temp gauge.

Jeff
Posted By: joshking440

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 07:51 PM

Im a big fan of oil temp, but we run aluminum rods...
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 07:52 PM

I also have a water temp guage in mine.

However, After the dyno sesion and talks W/ Scott I'm looking at oil temp guages.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 08:01 PM

I have the normal stuff, shift light, oil pressure,
volts, water temp, fuel pressure and also have a
crank case pressure/vac... It depends on what I want
to look at AND if I have my data logger hooked up( I
dont have the crank case hooked up to the logger)
oh yeah.. forgot the tach... but I dont watch that,
its just a source to turn on the shift light and to
set the carb
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 01/03/10 08:04 PM

Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 08:06 PM

Quote:

oil pressure,oil temp ,water temp,trans temp,fuel pressure, vacuum,

Crank case vacuum or manifold vacuum?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 08:33 PM

Quote:

What is your most important guages
assuming voltage oil pressure and Tach are already done

Add to that the water temp. I use it to be consistant run and run.

I also like my trans fluid temp gauge. The engine oil temp gauge is added info and I can see the ET change with oil temp, but that is the last of the above gauges since I can estimate the oil temp effect on ET if I start going round-robin (10-15 minutes between runs in later rounds of elimination). I actually use the same gauge for both oil temps, I have a switch to change from engine oil sensor to trans sensor.

I had a fuel pressure gauge when I ran a carb. But now with the injection the pressure is roughly 80+ psi and my old gauge only went to about 15.

Some are only used for trouble shooting. Some in the staging lanes or starting line, some a glance at the finish line, and some for the return road. I have a shift light, so I don't look at the tach to shift, but during time trials I will look at it at the finish line and check oil pressure, trans temp, etc.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 08:46 PM

I need to add oil & trans temp gauges,,,,,,,,,,,,somewhere

Attached picture 5708730-IMG_1726.JPG
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 11:13 PM

oil temp...trans temp...vacuum gauge...water temp...oil pressure...air pressure...shift light...fuel pressure
Posted By: Leon441

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 11:28 PM

I like the dual purpose oil temp gauge idea.

I have a 5" tach and speedometer. I never look at either one. Voltmeter only when I am having trouble. Oil pressure Water temp are two biggies. When I ran nitrous I ran a pressure gauge for that and learned to only worry about it when pressure was too high(Nitrous temp is better to tune with) The single most overlooked gauge that I am glad to now have is the crankcase vacuum gauge.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/03/10 11:30 PM

I ordered you one of these,,,very hard to find,,,only available in Canada,,,LOL

Formal Sponser of Alexander Keith's Racing / Drinking Team
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/04/10 12:04 AM

My trans Guru buddy talked me into putting in a transmission line pressure gauge late this season. I wouldn't be without one now, even after running the same car for 20 years with only oil pressure and water temp!
Posted By: chryco

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/04/10 12:18 AM

Oil Pres. , Engine Temp , Fuel Pressure , RPM`S in that order
Chryco

Attached picture 5709287-IMG_2198.jpg
Posted By: dizuster

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/04/10 04:17 PM

Quote:

My trans Guru buddy talked me into putting in a transmission line pressure gauge late this season. I wouldn't be without one now, even after running the same car for 20 years with only oil pressure and water temp!

Why wouldn't you run without one now? What has it done for you?
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/04/10 04:55 PM

The line pressure gauge allows me to monitor what's going on in the trans. The pressure fluctuates with gear changes, rpm, etc. Just like watching the oil pressure in your motor. If you see a little blip you know there's a problem and probably even where and what it is. If the line pressure dips at a point where it shouldn't I know I'm gonna have a problem. Maybe burn the low gear band or high gear clutches, whatever.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/04/10 06:03 PM

I've thought about installing an oil temp gauge but have figured out I can tell an approx temperature by just looking at the oil pressure..

When the temp is cold, I'll have 60 psi at idle, when its up to proper operating temp, it will be at 30 psi at idle.. anything below 30 psi and I know I have trouble..

So in my humble opinion the oil temp gauge is not really that important, but would love to here the reasons why I am wrong..

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/05/10 12:29 AM

Quote:

I've thought about installing an oil temp gauge but have figured out I can tell an approx temperature by just looking at the oil pressure..

When the temp is cold, I'll have 60 psi at idle, when its up to proper operating temp, it will be at 30 psi at idle.. anything below 30 psi and I know I have trouble..

So in my humble opinion the oil temp gauge is not really that important, but would love to here the reasons why I am wrong..

Thanks for the input.
The tranny gauge is an important addition as well as a booost gauge
Posted By: tonycpe

Re: What are your favorite (important) guages - besides - 01/05/10 01:19 AM

wow , no one has a air / fuel ratio gauge ?
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides - 01/05/10 01:38 AM

I had a bunch before I went to this. It cleaned it up quite a bit.

Re: What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides - 01/05/10 03:50 AM

I am running the Fast XFI efi on a laptop so I will have lots of data. I just wanted specific gauges for steet sriving and essential gauges at the track

The lap top won't be in it all the time (or maybe I should get a little one for the car)
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides - 01/05/10 04:12 AM

Racepak bro.
Steve
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides - 01/05/10 06:04 AM

In addition to the standard oil pressure/volt/fuel/water temp I've also got manifold boost/vacuum, wideband o2 and egt. The wideband o2 is great, and I haven't wired in the egt yet.

I'm also putting together and efi for mine and I will tell you this, a laptop screen is extremely hard to see outside on a sunny day. I found this out the hard way when I was trying to calibrate my wideband to my o2 gauge with my laptop. If you plan to tune with laptop while driving, plan to do it in the evening because daytime, forget about it.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: What are your favorite (important) gauges - besides - 01/05/10 10:35 AM

Oil, Water and Volts. The basics.
© 2024 Moparts Forums