Moparts

Who got you started?

Posted By: Dartwizer

Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:24 PM

In Drag Racing?My Dad did!.He was always into cars.Studebaker,Ford,Chevy and Mopar.The first new car I remember was the 64 Dodge Polara 500.It was black on red.383,4-speed.3:55 sure grip.He had ordered in from the Dodge dealer in Toms River, New Jersey. He and I went down and watched as it was unloaded from the transport trailer.Later that year we went to a little drag strip called ATCO in Jersey.I can still hear the Ole Man whaling on that 4-speed.I was 10 at the time and been Hooked ever since.A lot has passed since then.My Dad will be 83 January 21. Thanks Dad
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:44 PM

Me....bought a cut-down early 50's Plymouth when I was 14 for a ten-spot off a neighbor and it was on from there....the mopar muscle brochures I collected kept the fire burning and when I turned 16, made my first pass at NED in a 65 falcon I put together...lol

Rickster
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:45 PM

I guess I got myself involved in racing... I also got
2 of my brothers into it. I was always into engines
from about 5 years old... I had to tear down any engine
back then just to see how it worked(mostly lawn mower
engines back then) then I moved up to mini bikes then
racing dirt bikes finally into cars. Worked for GM
at their tech center, went into the service then started
at Chrysler at their tech center(Highland Park then
CTC Auburn Hills)
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:48 PM

My Dad. I remember him working on all sorts of cars,'39 Ford coupe,'57 Chevy,started with Mopar in 1966 and have had a few different brands in between,but always raced Mopar.My folks have had over 125 cars since they were married in 1960.
Posted By: Youngblood

Re: Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:52 PM

As a kid, I always loved race cars. I was about 8, and was building models. Joined Revell's model club, got two tickets to a night race at Englishtown(home track then). Saw Jungle Jim and the likes at night, it was all over. Nothing like getting your top fuel cherry popped, but the stars were really in line that night!
Posted By: Dago Red

Re: Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:53 PM

My dad, who got me interested in cars. Every year we'd go to the ISCA car show in Philadelphia. His thing was sports car racing and stock cars were "O-K". He'd take me to old Langhorne Speedway. He hated drag racing.
My classmate Charlie who showed me my first Car Craft, and talked his dad into taking us to Cecil County, it was a "Drag-O-Way" then.
Jeff Thomas, who had a license and a car and knew the way to Maple Grove. ANYTHING beat going to our sister's weekend horse shows.
And, finally, Ron Reaman, who had a 64 Max Wedge Plymouth. He let me help with the car between rounds. With that I was able to see the cars, meet the drivers, stand on the starting line, warm the car up and anything else that needed doing. Still at it thirty five years later with a collection of fifteen cars. Thanks Ron. RICK
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Who got you started? - 01/01/10 11:54 PM

Me....Heard about a race called the High School Drags on the radio back when I was in High School in Kansas City. I went out there and ran my truck and been doing it even since. That was 1981 and i was 16. It was the first time I had ever seen a dragstrip.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 12:02 AM

I got myself into it. Usually women seem to follow their husbands/boyfriends into it but I made the first drag strip passes in our family.

My husband was no stranger to street racing back in the day, but now runs on the drag strip too, when he's not my crew chief/mechanic.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 12:18 AM

I'll blame HardcoreB and another good friend Mike O. I've always had an interest in drag racing as a spectator, but these two are a baaaddd influence on me! Hehehe....
Posted By: topside

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 12:33 AM

Earliest memory of being fascinated with cars was about 3 years old. First race attended - family-friend Bob Raynor took us - was about age 6, a sports car race down by San Diego; I still recall a red Ferrari Testa Rossa with red/white/blue stripes around its grille. One of our neighbors had a '57 Ford he drag-raced, and another had a Bonneville car. First drag race was at San Fernando, saw Tony Nancy's silver RB-powered rail. By that time, Mom would street-race our '57 Plymouth if an opportunity presented itself. After that the slide downhill continued courtesy of a "cool neighbor" named Steve Kapin, who took us to Lions before any of us had driver's licenses. By age 18, I had a D/MP '57 Chevy that I drove on the street. That was 40 years ago..!
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 12:34 AM

I got myself into racing, hearing all the street
racing on the Sheridan EXP inda Bronx, keeping me up @ night
My 1st experience with the track I owe to my friend
Luis, we use to flat tow his 69 Camaro to National
Speedway, all the time, and run low 11's.
My 1st pass @ da track I also owe to him, it was
@ Island Dragway, those were the dazes

Attached picture 5704274-5-18-086S035.jpg
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 12:48 AM

Mike Mortimer (a few old timers will remember him). Then Richard Higley who I drove for in the early 80's.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 12:54 AM

I got myself into it also. Heard about an all mopar race on the radio and decided to go.

Since then I've drug my whole family into it
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 01:27 AM

My dad got me into cars. Street racing didn't give me any hard numbers
so, I got into drag racing on my own. Now, small blocks and drag racing
have practically consumed my every waking minute. If you don't believe
me, just ask somebody who knows me.

Besides it's like a $20 per day dyno session.
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 01:39 AM

My dad! Several years later I stole his car from him and the rest they say... Is history
Anyone that knows me; knows that my ol man is standing behind the car no matter where I race.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 02:08 AM

I was always into toy cars as a youngin'. Then when I was 8, my older brother came home from 'Nam and bought a brandy-new 69 Hemi RR/4 speed. He wanted an L88 Vette, but no Chevy dealer had one on the floor. The Plymouth store gave him a heck-of-a-deal...and the rest is history!

Car ran 12.20's with just slicks and headers and I was HOOKED!

Made my first lap at the track when I was 15 (never asked me to see a license...LOL) in the same brother's 69 RR. This was a 440/flite...(his commuter car) and went 13.41 @ 105 and then I was REALLY hooked!
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 02:11 AM

Tom, owner of Moparts
Posted By: ksj

Ray MacCord.Pratt Kansas and now living in Reno NV 39 years ago.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

went to the Governor Cup at Sacramento Raceway Park in 1971 to watch the Snake/Mongoose/The Ace/the Chitown Hustler...

came back two weeks later to watch a west coast pro stock show...

showed up a couple weeks later with my 67 GTO 4 speed. on a Wednesday TnT.
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 02:17 AM

My gearhead older brother got me interested in cars and racing. Followed him around street racing and cruising for years as a youngster and then gladly joined the fray by getting a Formula S '65 Barracuda as my first car in high school.

Still racing with him 25 years later and loving every minute of it. The pic below is from the '09 Mopar Nats and is the highlight of my racing career with him.

Attached picture 5704523-winnerscircle09Nats.JPG
Posted By: WILD CARD

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 03:23 AM

My son (Wild Bill) got me me into this last year. I was 57 years old. I don't know if that makes me the oldest rookie but it's got to be close. Even my granddaughter Taylor (Wild Thing) was driving two years before I started.
Posted By: hemicop

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 08:29 AM

My sister's friend...Back in the 60s it was rare to see a girl streetrace, much less work on her own car. My sister's friend lived down the street from us & raced a '59 Chevy. With space at a premium in NYC she was forced to always work on her car in the street so we'd always see her & her boyfriend prepping it for Friday night or on Saturdays. We'd hang around watching her & when asked, she'd explain what she was doing & why. I still remember hearing her drive up the street late at night after a night at Connecting Hwy
Posted By: chryco

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 11:08 AM

I guess hanging around my Dad working on the Family car.Dad HATED Dragracing which is probably what attracted me even more !
Chryco

Attached picture 5705159-IMG_3622.jpg
Posted By: Dart1031

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 01:48 PM

My Dad got me into cars when I was a kid. He wasn't into performance stuff, but he did as much work as he could himself. He had 2 or 3 VW Bugs. When I was 2, my uncle bought a brand new '73 340 cuda. So I knew what a cuda was at an early age, lol. His son now owns the cuda and is the one who told me about Moparts.

As far as racing, a friend of mine in high school told me about the local track, and that he knew people who raced there. And the street scene was huge in the 80's around here. So hanging out at those places got me into racing.
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 02:19 PM

My father. Some of my earliest childhood memories consist of me running around the pits at Dragway 42 playing around my dad's homebuilt open trailer. He also taught me that you could race and win with ANY vehicle. He won a lot rounds and a little money racing slow rusty heaps.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 03:01 PM

Dave Mosley was my neighbor and when he started this car, the sound gave me chill bumps. I had to go to Riverside Drag Strip to see what it was all about! An orginal A 990 car,

Attached picture 5705377-DaveMosley\'sMr.Quick.jpg
Posted By: Frito

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 03:04 PM

Dave in his Georgia shop several years ago!!

Attached picture 5705379-DaveMosley.jpg
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 03:15 PM

Dad ( Chris3) got me into this crazy thing we call Drag Racing
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 03:28 PM

John Barleycorn,once we parted ways i had to do somthing else crazy with my time and money.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 03:48 PM

Quote:

Dave in his Georgia shop several years ago!!

Go Oldsmobile
Posted By: Tig

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 06:17 PM

In a roundabout way I guess it was a neighbour. There were a couple of American factories local to where I live, Cummins and Torrington bearings (Cummins engines is still here and within 1/4 mile of my house, Torringtons has sadly closed).The US workers used to bring cars over and a neighbour who worked at torringtons used to buy them. To me, a kid growing up on a council estate, they were the greatest vehicles ever compared to the british cars of the day. Huge, finned and with the greatest sounding motors I'd ever heard. Mach 1 mustangs, Big 60's Buicks, Fairlanes, Caprices. Awesome.
Fast forward 20 years to my first trip to a RWYB meet Wow! muscle cars, rods, rails and v8 engines and I got to go down the track in my daily driver!.
Man I was hooked and I've never looked back. This year will be our 24th season.
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 06:56 PM

addiction to speed came from my father as a HD mechanic/flat track racer/tuner. I started flat tracking motorcycles across the field from Milan dragway at Victory park around 1975-6. spent the next 12 years racing flat track motorcycles, a few professionally. unfortunately my father had no interest in cars and I was on my own for my next speed addiction. He wasn't a highly educated guy but when it cam to HD engines he was one of the best and built some of the fastest XR750's in the country. Then had a stroke in 1994 and was disabled and never saw me drag race before he died in 2008.

Mopars? originally have to blame it on my next door neighbor's son who was a couple years older and had a couple 69 Dart street cars. We had another neighbor who had a 71 Duster out back that I finally talked into selling me for my first car. Messed around with the leaning tower of power for a year or so, headers, shift kit, 8 3/4, etc. Swapped it out for a 340/727/3.91 and started bracket racing while in college at US131. Had a "friend" wreck it and switched the drivetrain into a 67 vert Barracuda. The track didn't like the lack of roll bar/cage with it running low 13's and respecting it's worth as an original sold it to a friend to "build" a race car. There were a few more Mopar street cars in there along the way but nothing of significance.

Well the first attempt at a home built chassis car never got finished, 83 Charger with Alston kit. Then bought a 65 Dart, tubbed it, added a 12 point, had it pretty much rolling but ended up selling it because of the next opportunity.

Opportunity? coworker and fellow SC/SG racer "Captain BS" and board member SC304 helped get me in over my head with my sig car. Steady progress down to 8.0 resulted in the quest for 7's "on a budget" and the parting out and selling off of that engine to build a Predator engine. Being stubborn and old school it has to be NA, and has been two years in the build so far....

blah blah blah...
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 06:59 PM

Me. Street racing in NYC was getting (always was) dangerous.
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 07:29 PM

my high school auto shop teacher, mr.vanny. he was into mopars as well.
Posted By: galen

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 07:38 PM

As a kid I put a REO engine on a tricycle, I then put a 5 hp briggs on a radio flyer, steering with the tongue(Man that hurt) It went down hill from there. 100 hodaka on a mini bike frame. Gokarts Mac 101s. In high school, Kawasaki 750 2 stroke triple, Ported, chambers, left the line at 12500 rpm. Back tire screwed to rim. Ran it at kcir grudge night in the mid 70s. Bought a new Harley in 76, had it 2 weeks tore it down. Got a little carried away,So much compression dad had to tow me down the street to start it, but when it ran it ran good!! got tired of hearing the 900 kawasaki guys bragging. Moved to Albuquerque, built a 67gtx 440 4speed. Cant remember the name of the dragstrip down there(old age). If it had an engine I raced it. Cops watched me, neighbors hated me. I was born that way. Now that the kids are grown I am back. Is this normal or is something bad wrong with me?
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 07:57 PM

in the early 80s down the block where two brothers frank and steve

my first ride was franks 71 roadrunner

left a immpression on me for the rest of my life

we drive plymouths not dodges

seen him 10 years ago drove by the the duster to my old neigthber hood

the look on his face was priceless
Posted By: Diego_Ted

Re: Who got you started? - 01/02/10 11:15 PM

Click here for my story.

http://diegotedracing.com
Posted By: 72demon416

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 12:44 AM

At 15 I was intriqued with speed but had never experienced it until I got a ride in my dads friends completely stock 67 Z28 302" car with 4:88's. The car was such a sleeper- even had plain black steel wheels with 70 series redlines and seemed so tame - until he unloaded it in 2'nd gear and pinned me in the seat and held me there- the sound of him rowing that 4'speed at 7800 has lit a fire that I don't think will ever go out.
It was a truely awesome experience that has caused me to spend my money to keep reliving that excitement.
1 month later I had my 70' 383 Cuda and it all began...
Posted By: 76318dart

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 05:38 AM

My dad did (76dart) he was into old mopars and that was all it took. thanks dad!!!!!
Posted By: mopar_to_ya

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 02:06 PM

Dad got my Brother and Myself into cars at a very youg age. Got pics at York US 30 with Ronnie Sox and his colt. Actually our parents got our first cars for us when we were 10 years old and we still have them today. Here they are recently, just wish we had some in earlier years side by side. Would have been really cool.

Attached picture 5707752-PittsburghCCPits.jpg
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 04:30 PM

I always liked cars, when I was a teen in Pittsburgh I was into the cruising thing until I heard about a drag strip, My first trip to a track and first time on one was an old 1/8 mile (I think) track near New Castle Pa by the Ohio border, I went a few times with my 64 Dart. After I moved to N.J. in 73 I went to Island Dragway and Englishtown to watch, then a friend built a 72 Duster for a cool street car after getting tired of that he started racing it and I helped. Then I bought my Dart in 1982 and I started racing it weekly a few years later with help from a couple of longtime Mopar guys including my trans guy/ close friend who raced a Mopar factory sponsored Stocker in the early 70s. Now over 25 years later I`m still racing the same Dart and all my friends are still involved in weekly racing also except my friend with the Duster he broke a motor quite a few years ago and we haven`t seen him since.

Attached File
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 04:43 PM

In 1954 my Father took me and 2 of my friends to our first drag race somewhere in south Louisiana. We all loved it immediately. However that day a dragster (hemi powered with a belly tank body) went out of control and into the crowd and killed a spectator. We were all afraid he would not allow us to race after that but he certainly did. The next Christmas he gave me a channeled 32 Ford 3 window with a hopped up flathead and it went from there. He was a huge supporter of my racing until I married and left in 1963.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 06:48 PM

I liked building model cars and U control airplanes in Jr and Sr high school, what really hooked me on wanting to go fsat was a ride in a street rod with a stock J2 Olsmobile (372 C.I.Tri power motor in a 2300 lb roadster). He had built it out of varoius parts, 1929 model A frame Zed, 1923 Dodge roaster pick up bucket, 1949 Olsmobile rear end and suspension on 8.20x15 recap street tires on the rear. It burnt rubber and fishtailed real bad in all three gears (it was stick shift ) like there was no tomorrow, I loved it That was in 1961-62 era and I have been hooked on going fast every since I was 17 and he was around 23, I went to high school with his brother in law and met him thru my friend Johnny Powel His name was Tookie Smith he is now deceased Have fun while you can
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 07:11 PM

Spending years here in the high-desert w/not much to do created some interesting street racing late at night in the middle of nowhere. We would tweek our cars during the week then meet up at a couple of different streets and match em up and go for it. I swore my 14-sec 69 satellite w/a mild 360 was a 12 sec car and the same guys I street raced w/headed to L.A.C.R. to find out what we had. After my 1st pass I was hooked and proceeded to spend the next several years learning,spending and building motors,street racing and track testing to get to where I am today. I`ve gone from 14 seconds to high 9`s and it`s been a long EXPENSIVE but fun road.......wouldn`t trade it for anything. I have to give Cab tons of credit as he lived south of me and I would pick his brain and go to his house and bug the hell out of him to gain more knowledge so I could beat the guys around here and, IT WORKED.....Thankxx Cab.
Posted By: chris3

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 10:48 PM

There was a couple that lived across the street from us in Charlotte, 1960,1961, that raced a B/Gas 40 Ford Coupe at Shuffletown Dragstrip. The man was involved in and accident and was paralyzed from his waist down. There was a NASCAR racing shop near us. The guys there heard about this guy and took his car and adding all the controls, accelerator, brakes, etc. on to the steering column. They would pay for a couple of teenagers in the neighborhood to go to the races with them on Saturday night change tires, plugs, what ever needed to be done to race. Since I lived right across the street you had to get up early on Saturday morning to beat me to the shop. Started racing myself when I turned 16.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 10:49 PM

I did
Posted By: The Cuda Guy

Re: Who got you started? - 01/03/10 11:31 PM

I grew up in a mopar family so mopar is in my blood! I build model cars and listened to stories of the good old days on Woodward and Gratiot ave. As I got older I dreamed of a cuda and just being able to cruise it like back in the day. Well I got two friends who really got me interested in Drag Racing Jason Nimitz (540 Dart) and Alan Lemon (moparal) I would read their posts an think how cool it would be to race a muscle car! So I became close with both and now concider them my best friends! They have taken me under their wing and are leading me to be a racer. I have only limited experience racing a few trips at my local track and a failed attempt during the 2009 Carlisle Nationals when my car stalled at the line when I stomped on it... Im excited to see what the future hold for me and the cuda.

Don
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Who got you started? - 01/04/10 02:09 PM

Quote:

I grew up in a mopar family so mopar is in my blood! I build model cars and listened to stories of the good old days on Woodward and Gratiot ave. As I got older I dreamed of a cuda and just being able to cruise it like back in the day. Well I got two friends who really got me interested in Drag Racing Jason Nimitz (540 Dart) and Alan Lemon (moparal) I would read their posts an think how cool it would be to race a muscle car! So I became close with both and now concider them my best friends! They have taken me under their wing and are leading me to be a racer. I have only limited experience racing a few trips at my local track and a failed attempt during the 2009 Carlisle Nationals when my car stalled at the line when I stomped on it... Im excited to see what the future hold for me and the cuda.

Don

I got tired of stepping in horse poop and having the team farting., so me and my brother Tony learned early how to hop a 1947 Oliver tractor with a inline Jimmy6.After burning the tips of my fingers off on the magneto we decided to put a staight exhaust pipe on it.Tony said no pipe was better,(one day he almost died from carbonmonxide poisioning).Next we put 2 Stromberg 90 carbs and a Fenton manifold on a 1950 Dodge coupe and we never looked back.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Who got you started? - 01/04/10 02:31 PM

In 1964, I was visiting relatives in Ohio, and was introduced to a guy my cousin had married. It turns out he had just purchased an aluminim nosed 64 Hemi 330 sedan, and it was parked in the wash bay of a Sunoco station in town. He took me down to gander it, and I was hooked from that moment. I was able to accompany him to a lot of races that summer, and I never looked back.

In 1965, I attended a NASCAR drag event (yes, they did have a drag division) and the winner was a guy named Melvin Yow driving OB Hewett's "Big No. 1" 65 Dodge Ultra stock. I fell in love with it, and patterned my car after that one.

My cousin has retired to Myrtle Beach....does not even think about drag racing. The Sunoco station is long gone, and PID has closed many years ago. I understand that Yow is still kicking, but wants nothing to do with drag racing.

But, I'm still around.
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: Who got you started? - 01/04/10 03:07 PM

One of the lucky kids that got to grow up at the races, thanks to Mom.

Attached picture 5710345-Dorothy.jpg
Posted By: RAT PATROL

Re: Who got you started? - 01/04/10 03:11 PM

And Dad had a few nice rides too.

Attached picture 5710347-MyPictures116.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums