Moparts

weight savings from power to man. steering???

Posted By: dragula426

weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 02:45 PM

does anyone know the exact amount of weight savings by switching over to a manual box on a 69 b- body? totals for the power steering box, pump, fluid etc.?? i'm looking to save a few pounds, and am wondering if it's worth it. ( power steering is so nice on the street)
Posted By: moparniac

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 02:58 PM

it was 26lbs total in my challenger..... I switched to the flaming river unit!
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 03:06 PM

I had an aluminum housing "fast ratio" stock gear box{found in a junkyard},in my Cuda. iirc, mine was around 25-30 lbs different also. When I bought the car it had the heavy power gear box and the pump laying in the interior.
Posted By: springers340dart

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 03:41 PM

you'll also be gainging horsepower going to a manual box. one less thing the engine is turning.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 04:51 PM

Quote:

you'll also be gainging horsepower going to a manual box. one less thing the engine is turning.

I don't know if I buy that one. It's only robbing power if you're turning the wheel.
Posted By: BradH

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 06:21 PM

Quote:

Not from my experience, which was worth 38 lbs. of weight loss and showed up as essentially nothing on the ET slip.
Posted By: springers340dart

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 07:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if I buy that one. It's only robbing power if you're turning the wheel.

i'm not sure about that. its another pulley the engine is turning weather your turning or not. i may be wrong but i had an aspen that had power steering and ac and took both those off and picked up 3 - 4 tenths.
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 07:41 PM

even if you dont use any torque in a straight line, there is significant weight in the pulley, pump rotor, and belt that must be accelerated. anytime you cut that weight, the engine will be happier.
Posted By: mshred

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 11:06 PM

but will it potentially even shave a tenth off your e/t? i can understand the weight savings, but does the pulley eat that much?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 11:09 PM

On my mustang no powersteering belt was worth a tenth. This car already had an underdrive pulley as well. I used to keep a shorter belt with me that I would change at the track to bypass the power steering. I got lazy and just found that tenth elsewhere later on though.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: weight savings from power to man. steering??? - 12/27/09 11:31 PM

I have seen a 8 HP gain( that is uasaully close to .08 at the track on a 3000 lb bracket car) on two differnt motors on two differnet engine dynos by removing a tight water pump belt only, no alternator or anything else being driven Besides it makes changing the spark plugs so much eaiser on the B-RB motors, no hurting your hands on the hot steering box in the summer Weight savings + comfort, priceless
© 2024 Moparts Forums