Moparts

Do these look ported to you?

Posted By: furious70

Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 05:25 PM

516's, 2.14/1.81's

These are supposed to be full ported, no exact numbers, but north of 270/190. Not quite what I was expecting when I opened the box.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 05:28 PM

barely. looks like a clean up is all.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 07:19 PM

Quote:

barely. looks like a clean up is all.

Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 07:24 PM

Sounds like an internet deal gone south. Might be worth the few bucks to get one flowed and see how bad they really are, that will at least give you some ammo against the seller.

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 07:29 PM

bought them off here, within a 4hour drive, so if worse comes to worse....

I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to start, awaiting for info on who did the work. Also have a call into the closest shop around here that can do flow testing on prices to get an idea if they are any better than stock, yes.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 08:22 PM

Not sure if you were shopping for ported or unported heads?

At any rate regardless of how much (or little) those heads have been ported, the fact is that they are definately ported to some extent.

If they were sold as "unported" there's a problem for the seller, if they were sold as "ported" then things lean towards the buyer possibly not asking enough questions about flow etc. or requesting enough pictures before pulling the trigger.

Posted By: HemiDave

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 08:26 PM

Not 'well'!

Dave

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 08:32 PM

while the exact flow sheets were not available, they were sold as heavily ported by a professional and some 1/4mi times and vehicle info was shared that I didn't think could be obtained with substantially unported heads.

I didn't get any pictures ahead of time (in hindsight an error), mostly because it was claimed the port job was done by a guy from a professional shop that is on here (not going to name them, as they had no part in the sale and there's no need to drag them in here).

Local shop here wants $150 to just check a few ports to see where we're at, is that the going rate? I don't need a full workup done, I just need to see 2 intakes/2 exh to see what they are.
Posted By: flathood

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 08:39 PM

Those are the before pictures,right???
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 09:10 PM

they look ported to me with an untouched floor. they are not going to look like a -1 head
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

they look ported to me with an untouched floor. they are not going to look like a -1 head

thats what I thought too....

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 09:16 PM

I have never ported a set myself, so I am a novice for sure. What concerned me right off the bat is what looked like a lot of untouched rough casting walls, which would mean they weren't touched.
Like I said, I'm not going off on the guy yet, I'm just trying to reconcile what I see vs. what I thought I bought. I'll be pleased as punch if these actually do flow well, as that's what I want and what I paid for!

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 09:55 PM

I feel for you in that you expected more than you recieved, but quite frankly I don't think you did enough homework before you bought them. I don't see how flow testing them now will give you any leverage against the seller unless he claimed specific numbers or specific porting work before you bought them, all of the other info you posted concerning race car numbers etc.are subjective.

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 10:06 PM

I appreciate that, but I wasn't asking whether anyone thinks I have recourse with the guy, I was asking if any experienced guys can tell by my blurry cam shots here whether I got anything near what I was told they were (trying this first before spending more money to verify). I'm a big boy and will live with whatever the outcome. Whether they are decent heads or not will depend if I spend more money on a project, so having them flowed is as much to see where I'm at now as anything.

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 10:15 PM

Quote:

whether I got anything near what I was told they were

I guess that's where I'm a bit lost here. It doesn't seem clear as to exactly what you were told regarding the details of the porting work. As far as his description, based on what you posted a few posts back he used fairly general terms in describing the work that's been done and not much in the way of specifics.

All that aside I'd say that what you ended up with are a set of 516 heads with bigger valves and a clean up porting job in the intake runners and not much else, the resulting flow would probably amount to what you would get out of a basically stock set of 915 heads.

Are they decent heads? Probably once they have a fresh valve job put on them, question is, are the "decent" enough to give you the amount of flow get your cars combo to perform like you'd hoped? Hard to say giving the info we have so far.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 10:22 PM

Quote:

Considering they're still assembled and have lots of "stuff" in the ports, it's not clear exactly what's been done to 'em. Strip them down, get the "stuff" out of the bowls & the runners, and take some pics where you actually show what's been done (if anything) in the valve bowls, etc.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 10:32 PM

Quote:

516's, 2.14/1.81's

These are supposed to be full ported, no exact numbers, but north of 270/190. Not quite what I was expecting when I opened the box.

Were they complete with valves and fresh or used?
Have you run them yet?
Who said north of 270/190 and @ what lift?
What was the price if you don't mind me asking.
Posted By: Runner

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Considering they're still assembled and have lots of "stuff" in the ports, it's not clear exactly what's been done to 'em. Strip them down, get the "stuff" out of the bowls & the runners, and take some pics where you actually show what's been done (if anything) in the valve bowls, etc.

Posted By: tntmachine

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/10/09 10:58 PM

CC an intake and an exhaust port and compare to stock. Then take the valves out and see if there has been any work done in the bowl area. Stock head flow can be improved considerably by "pocket porting".
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 01:02 AM

how the heck can you tell from those pictures?
you need to get the crud out of there..
and show a picture of the bowl and or guide..
looks from the tiny bit i can see that .
there is porting on the pushrod pinch..and porting around the roof/guide..but its hard to tell..for sure..
pop a keeper off and pull a valve...

i will say this much the motor they came off of..
either had no ring seal..or the carb was missing a bunch of screws...that thing is carbon rich..
or maybe they ran it on diesel fuel.?
cheapst.
Posted By: Twin Turbo Mower

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 01:20 AM

Looks like a cleanup job. The intake ports could be opend up and squared more, floor looks like it needs work. exhaust has not had the hump in the roof blended, or the bluges on the sides blended. The whole exhaust prt could have been blended better and squared up. Need to take the intake valve out to get a better idea of it. Looks mainly like a intake port and exhaust sand rolled. Though the port entrance to the intake looks decent He put some work into it.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 01:46 AM

Long story short, you cant go by looks period. I have seen hogged out ports flow worse than stock ports.
Get them on a flow bench, anything else will only be speculation and guessing.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 04:06 AM

The guy probably paid what he felt was a lot of money for porting on his heads a long time ago(evidenced by all the carbon build up). The heads probably had someones stage 1 porting on them and the guy just remembered all the $$ he spent on valves, resurface, stage 1 porting and years down the road thought he would get some eddys and sell the old max ported heads

Sorry, I am an optimist
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 06:18 AM

That's equivalent to an economy port. If you look down the intake runner you can see the guide is narrowed a bit. The rough edges have been smoothed and a half a-ed attempt at port matching was done.
Depending on what the numbers were specifically, if they said 270 plus, did they give a pressure drop? Cause it would have to be higher than 28 inches of water. I've done 516's before and they don't flow easily. The exhaust numbers are believable, but looking at the pictures, I'm saying not likely, again, not at 28in.
150 for testing them is not bad. Basically 2 hrs of work. Tear down, clean up and flow. Possibly reassemble depending on condition.
Good lower performance truck, quench heads.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 06:34 AM

I think I could do more with my dental handpieces than that.. Sorry to say..

Chris..
Posted By: RobR

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 06:14 PM

Somebody's trimmed down the guide boss and probably the bowls are done...but 270 cfm with the throat that narrow...not likely...you need at least 1.100 in the throat and it looks like it's pretty much stock in the cross section dept.
Posted By: viperblue72

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 07:25 PM

Alot can be gained by porting the bowls without touching the intake ports. I still have my doubts about the heads you have, but you still don't know until you look in the bowl area and by the pics it's too hard to tell.
Fwiw though if they would of spent that much time in the bowl areas, they would of spent the extra effort to do a halfway decent port match.

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/11/09 07:34 PM

thanks guys, gonna try to get them apart and some better pics soon.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Do these look ported to you? - 12/12/09 01:30 AM

From the pics they definately have some work done on them, But not much IMO.

The biggest negative factor that I see is that the Short turn doesnt appear to be touched at all. If it hasnt and it doesnt appear to be that will limit the heads flow to a max of 250 CFM IMO

Dwayne from PHR schooled me on that. The Short turn is the key to getting the stock heads to flow over 240/250CFM. mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums