Moparts

lucas oil treatment? any one else

Posted By: ben1692

lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 08:27 PM

i started running 1 quart of lucas oil treatment to 8 quarts of oil every oil change starting this year. pulled the motor this winter and the bearings looked like brand new. has anyone else use this product and did it work as well for them or not so good?

Attached picture 5652918-aug17.jpg
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 08:33 PM

Nope,

We ran that stuff in our late model small block, 8000+ rpm and we found oil psi spikes, drops, very uneven stuff. Our pan holds a LOT of oil, 10 qt with a kick out in it, we found that stuff foammed up terribly, we ran VR1 race oil with 2 qts of lucas. They told up the ratio we were using. Well we tried to just run brad penn, no more issues...

Kasey
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:26 PM

Quote:

we found that stuff foammed up terribly,

That sounds exactly like what BobIsTheoilGuy.com had found during his testing...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:34 PM

I use half qt with six qts oil works great

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

we found that stuff foammed up terribly,

That sounds exactly like what BobIsTheoilGuy.com had found during his testing...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Yep I wouldnt use it in my lawn mower, but id use it in a capacino machine
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:46 PM

We use it as a final pour on lube for the cam and lifters after the engine is assembled,especuially if it is not going to be fired soon.
Posted By: hemi471

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:50 PM

Junk!!! All you need is good oil.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:56 PM

I use a qt with 7 qts of rotella 15-40. Have for years...last time motor was out ...600 runs bearing look new.. But there seems to be a lack of prove of whats in it... Bob test don't fly with me...two gears in a box is not whats happing in my motor.. I think maybe it is what you mix it with with also..
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 10:58 PM

I used their power steering fix it stuff... worked great
in my street car
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 11:12 PM

Quote:

We use it as a final pour on lube for the cam and lifters after the engine is assembled,especuially if it is not going to be fired soon.

with BG, lucas oil tratment is sticky and has to lubricate and coat everything, did u ever feel that stuff on your fingers.
Posted By: ben1692

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 11:30 PM

i started using it because my cousins cantrell bros (top alcohol dragster) swear by it. they use a quart every pass including fresh oil. most all the guys in his class use it they go alot faster than i do. didnt see any foaming when i helped crew with them. they turn many more rpms than 8000

Attached picture 5653258-10-11-09milan.jpg
Posted By: slippery440

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 11:48 PM

I use it in everything .I give it credit for saving my motor when a junk crane gold rocker broke and the motor spit a lifter out of the bore and I lost all oil pressure. No harm to anything.Makes it a pain to set the lash because you can not hang onto anything its so slippery.
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/07/09 11:52 PM

Quote:

I used their power steering fix it stuff... worked great
in my street car

i'm with you on that mr.p. that stuff is great!
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 01:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

with BG, lucas oil tratment is sticky and has to lubricate and coat everything, did u ever feel that stuff on your fingers.

It is very sticky and it clings to the cam and lifters for a long time much like STP.We pour a generious amount on the cam and lifters and around the lifter bores as well as the tips of the rockers and pushrods,Some of our engines sit for months and some are shipped abroad.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 02:48 AM

not lucas...but what about this stuff?

http://www.microlon.com/automotive_engin...1c44218b6f962b6
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 03:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is very sticky and it clings to the cam and lifters for a long time much like STP.We pour a generious amount on the cam and lifters and around the lifter bores as well as the tips of the rockers and pushrods,Some of our engines sit for months and some are shipped abroad.

I do the same thing in the valvetrain even after soaking lifters in a large coffee bucket.Coat the rocker shafts,tips,cam,,but BG,I have a question fer ya???????What "broad" are ya shippin to??
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 03:28 AM

Lucas has a dislpay in the store that has 2 compartments, each with a series of plastic gears run by a hand crank. One compartment has straight motor oil, the other has Lucas fortified oil. When you crank the lucas setup, the oil clings to the gears and climbs up to the top gear much more readily than the straight oil set up.

I figure I don't need oil clinging to the crankshaft and other parts, I need it to easily shed from the rotating assembly and get back into the pan. So I don't use Lucas oil treatment in my race moter.
Posted By: MMiller

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 03:50 AM

I ran a little in my Getrag 5 speed behind my Cummins. I changed the oil, added the Lucas Oil treatment, to the specified oil for the trans. After that the trans shifted horribly, and was far more noisy. I ran it a while like that and it did not get better. I drained out the oil and as much Lucas as I could get out of it. I then refilled it with specified oil and ran the trans went back to shifting nice, and no more noise. Ran it a long time with lots of heavy loads, lots of tire chirping, speed shifts and such before the output shaft bearing finally became pitted and noisy.

I've since rebuilt it with new bearings, and filled it with synthetic oil, and had great service.

No Lucas for me.....

Michael
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 12:44 PM

Quote:

Lucas has a dislpay in the store that has 2 compartments, each with a series of plastic gears run by a hand crank. One compartment has straight motor oil, the other has Lucas fortified oil. When you crank the lucas setup, the oil clings to the gears and climbs up to the top gear much more readily than the straight oil set up.

I figure I don't need oil clinging to the crankshaft and other parts, I need it to easily shed from the rotating assembly and get back into the pan. So I don't use Lucas oil treatment in my race moter.

that was my feeling too. You want oil to lubricate using a thin boundary layer of oil- not a think heavy coating that will add weight and slow rotating components. you want the thiunnest oil possible that will still lubricate at the worst extreme that you run
Posted By: therocks

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 03:26 PM

We used it at the shop.Some cars we used it in were pretty bad and customer wanted to get a little more time or eliminate soem noise.It worked in quite a few of them.Use it in my cars also.Never any problems.Rocky
Posted By: Jambbii

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 03:43 PM

Ok , the stuff is sticky, but wouldn't thicker oil do somewhat the same thing as lucas? I have never had any issues with normal oil. Yeah I have had lifter ticks and ran thicker oil and that magically fixed it or was a temp. bandaid. Sorry but I just still don't believe in oil additives.

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 04:19 PM

Accually regular oil will not stick even heavier oils, they warm up and wick down back to the pan.

Lucas bad, Bradd Penn Good!!!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 06:39 PM

Quote:

I ran a little in my Getrag 5 speed behind my Cummins. I changed the oil, added the Lucas Oil treatment, to the specified oil for the trans. After that the trans shifted horribly, and was far more noisy. I ran it a while like that and it did not get better. I drained out the oil and as much Lucas as I could get out of it. I then refilled it with specified oil and ran the trans went back to shifting nice, and no more noise. Ran it a long time with lots of heavy loads, lots of tire chirping, speed shifts and such before the output shaft bearing finally became pitted and noisy.

I've since rebuilt it with new bearings, and filled it with synthetic oil, and had great service.

No Lucas for me.....

Michael

I did the same with my Old Toyota 4x4. While it did reduce some noise it was a bear to shift when cold. In the winter I would put the transfercase in nuetral and leave the trans in gear when I warmed it up. That way It was tollerable to shift it lol.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 07:07 PM

I don't use their oil treatment or much of anything else they sell but have tried their assembly lube on a couple motors lately, and it seems pretty good, I sort of like it. It seems to work about as well as the old standby Clevite bearing guard, and seems to stick/cling to parts maybe a little bit more.

Quote:

Lucas Oil's Assembly Lube is designed to be an initial lubricant to metal surfaces. Apply to critical engine surfaces before assembly in order to prevent metal to metal contact, upon startup, before adequate lubrication is supplied. Will mix with any oil and will not plug filters. This product clings to all surfaces and is an excellent rust inhibitor, allowing long term storage for all parts. It is useful wherever tension or torque is applied. Contains Zinc, Moly, and other extreme pressure additives. Perfect for engine building or any assembly.

http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/catalog/...amp;x=5&y=6
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 11:44 PM

I've used Lucas transmission conditioner to fix busted automatic transmissions. It's like a miracle, brings dead slushboxes back to life.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/08/09 11:58 PM

Joel, I've also heard Lucas Gear Rejuvenator restores the nylon gears on your stock cam timinggear...
Posted By: modified1090

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/09/09 01:03 AM

i think that i have something from lucas in every fluid in my car. even the fuel tank. i think i am going to switch the fuel lube next year though, too sticky and doesn't mix well with the e85
Posted By: RussW

Re: lucas oil treatment? any one else - 12/09/09 02:38 AM

Quote:

No Lucas for me.....

Michael

I run RedLine MT90 and MTL 50-50 mix in my NV4500 and ran the same in my previous Cummins, 93 W350
© 2024 Moparts Forums