Moparts

Please Help

Posted By: dan6412

Please Help - 12/06/09 02:26 AM

I know may be a dumb question but can some one give me the definitions of the markings that you see on drag cars i.e. SS/AH.
Just trying to educate myself on them

Thanks Dan
Posted By: 65dragnet

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 02:36 AM

Dan SS/AH = superstock ,class A , Hemi
Posted By: topside

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 02:42 AM

That's the Class the car runs in. /S = Stock, /SA = Stock Automatic, SS/ same for Super Stock, then there are a jillion Comp Eliminator classes, then classes like Pro Stock, Funny Car, Top Fuel.
Why the /S and SS/ are that way seems strange, but it's rooted in history; you'd think Stock would be S/ or Super Stock would be /SS.
The SS '68 Darts & Barracudas have their own eliminator now, SS/AH, because they owned SS/A & SS/AA and NHRA wanted to open that class up to other makes & combinations, as I understand it. Regardless of transmission, the '68 cars are now classed Super Stock A Hemi. Originally the '68 cars were SS/B & SS/BA, if I remember correctly, but were 'bumped up' very quickly.
Posted By: SuperStocker

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 02:45 AM

examples:

Stock eliminator: A/S = stick
A/SA= auto

Superstock eliminator: SS/A = stick
SS/AA= auto
SS/AH= class designated for 426 Hemi
equipped '68 Darts and 'Cudas
only

If your are truly new to this, don't try to learn this all at once. And, once you think you've mastered NHRA, try IHRA; good luck...
Posted By: fig426

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 02:54 AM

What would the D stand for in SS/DH or SS/DA ? I know D class, but what would be D class
Posted By: SuperStocker

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 02:59 AM

Quote:

What would the D stand for in SS/DH or SS/DA ? I know D class, but what would be D class

There is no such class as DH; only AH. A, B, C, D, etc. are factored horsepower to weight designations. Confused yet?
Posted By: fig426

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 05:11 AM

That makes sense, but is there a list of what the designations relate to? How much hp to weight for each class?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 05:23 AM

Quote:

That makes sense, but is there a list of what the designations relate to? How much hp to weight for each class?

Get a copy of Nation Dragster.... there is a section
in it with the classes and record ETs
Posted By: mprrlz

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 05:44 AM

You can also go to NHRA.com and under competition, it has stock car classification link.

This will give you every year make and model that is Stock/Super Stock eligible.

Now to figure out which class fits which combination, then I believe you would have to get a NHRA rulebook to find this information out.

Hope this helps

Cory
Posted By: 383man

Re: Please Help - 12/06/09 06:55 AM

Quote:

Of course the D is for class D which is a certain weight they run as per the NHRA HP rating. So if the D class was just say for an example 10 lbs per each HP that is multiplied by the NHRA HP rating. So if it was a 400 hp rated eng it would be 10 x 400 or 4000 lbs. Get it ?? Real easy ey ? It can get real confusing as I just used the 10 lbs as an example but the faster classes like SS/A or SS/B might be 7 lbs per HP where the slower classes like SS/E or SS/F might be 8.7 lbs per HP. And NHRA refactors from factory HP ratings. Like the 426 Hemi is 425 HP but NHRA will rate it about 500 or so. Thats also why racers hate when NHRA adds HP as that means they have to run more weight in the car to be legal. Ron
Posted By: Tony H

Re: Please Help - 01/07/10 05:32 PM

I thought 'A' bodies didn't come with hemi's how can it be a Super STOCK?
Posted By: Spode

Re: Please Help - 01/07/10 05:52 PM

Quote:

I thought 'A' bodies didn't come with hemi's how can it be a Super STOCK?

A few 68 cudas and darts had Hemis
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Please Help - 01/07/10 06:12 PM

Quote:

I know may be a dumb question but can some one give me the definitions of the markings that you see on drag cars i.e. SS/AH.
Just trying to educate myself on them

Thanks Dan

All of the cars that compete at NHRA and all the other sanctioning organizations have class designations and type of class they race in as well as the drivers competion number on the cars, IE T/F= Top Fuel Dragster, P/S =Pro Stock A/FD= A fuel Dragster, S/G = Super Gas. So SS/AH 5 would be the last years number five driver competing in Super Stock A Hemi, SS/AH 75 would be SS/AH division seven driver ending up number five Super Stock competion in division seven. Every NHRA Division has a number asigned for its demographic location starting with division one in the northeast part of the country ending up with the southwest divission seven. (total of seven divisions) Last example, Pro\ET 678, my number for bracket competion at any NHRA Pro/ET bracket race. The number stays with driver and the class stays with the car IHTS
© 2024 Moparts Forums