Moparts

bb milodon oil pump

Posted By: 68roadrunner

bb milodon oil pump - 12/05/09 11:55 PM

who likes this pump, and who dont and why? thanks lee
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 12:38 AM

I've been using them for 15 years. Never had a failure. I have run 8500 RPM with the dual line pump, but don't really like the kit that converts a stock pump.

Attached picture 5649057-100_0048(640x448).jpg
Posted By: RussW

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 12:39 AM

Milodon Sucks Big Donkey Dongs, but that's just my opinion.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 01:16 AM

I have it no problems at all?? The biggest plus is for the do-it-your-self-ers, they can buy everything they need from them so they are covered.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 01:30 AM

I have been using the system for over 25 years.The pump never failed on it's own,was always due to debris that was passed through the rotors.Now,as per Jimi Vignogna's reccomendation I use 2 "PREFILTERS" that are in the oil lines between the pan & pump.I also run a duel oil filter setup with Moroso oil filters that have NO BYPASS.My system can filtrate 36 gph and in the event of a mechanical failure,absolutley NO debris gets pumped past the filters.

Attached picture 5649202-IMG_1844.JPG
Posted By: sg66mopar

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 02:19 AM

Yeah there's probably better pumps out there. I think I can buy about 3 or 4 Milodon's for the same cost. The one I have on the motor now works good. Not much else needs to be said.

Might have to look at the pre filter idea. Brand new Milodon this year and already chewed up the rotor and impeller from hard as a rock debris going through it.

Posted By: roadhazard

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 02:51 AM

My motor has been together 10 years on one. I have the 1.100" rotors. It's the complete dual line Milodon set up with their aluminum pump.

I'd say at the present time my next step could only be a dry sump system.

"disclaimer"; quality hose, fittings and connections to keep it from sucking any air or leaking oil.

Always pay attention to the little details

Attached picture 5649418-Norwalk2signature.jpg
Posted By: sc4400

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 04:19 AM

How about a source for these prefilters! I just snapped a shaft from a a piece of debris.

Anyone ever use a check valve on the suction lines??

RIP
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 05:40 AM

Run a Melling HV pump add the pump cover and go with a swinging pickup...The stock style HV pump will feed 99.9% of most engines on this board in this fashion..
I have personally turned a 560 CID big block 8K no problems...
Chuck at Best Machine said they will feed to 10K.

No green gasket to blow. I run aftermarket blocks, and I plum one line from the oil port by the timing chain cover on these Indy Maxx blocks, and the World blocks...For duel line setups, this would be one, and from the pump cover bac to the pickup is the other.

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 06:46 PM

Quote:

How about a source for these prefilters! I just snapped a shaft from a a piece of debris.

Anyone ever use a check valve on the suction lines??

RIP

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=inline%20oil%20filter&dds=1,,,,,,This will help
Posted By: Defbob

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 08:54 PM

Hemi-itis, never thought about pre-filtering the pump

I have a 35+ year old Milodon pump that still works and a new one for my Hemi. I also got bulkheads for the swinging pickup for prevention against leaks and also obtained one of Ted's billet oil pump covers.

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 09:27 PM

Defbob,don,t forget to use oil filters with no bypass.When 19 gpm hits an oil filter that flows 12gpm,the bypass opens and you ain't filtering s#$%!!I use 2 Moroso oil filters that flow 16 each and handle 8000 rpm,NO PROBLEM
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 09:39 PM

Quote:

Hemi-itis, never thought about pre-filtering the pump

I have a 35+ year old Milodon pump that still works and a new one for my Hemi. I also got bulkheads for the swinging pickup for prevention against leaks and also obtained one of Ted's billet oil pump covers.

Most if not all guys that run dry sumps use pre
filters... I know I do... dont want to tear up a
big dollar pump... you can see them coming across
the pan area in my pic
Posted By: ro23car

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 09:47 PM

Quote:

and what source of pumpage do you use in the rocke ship your steering? dam i kinda sound like cw

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 09:48 PM

Quote:

and what source of pumpage do you use in the rocket ship your steering? dam i kinda sound like cw

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

and what source of pumpage do you use in the rocket ship your steering? dam i kinda sound like cw

you're getting shorter by the minute

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

you're getting shorter by the minute

lol maybe its the meds lol. gotta talk to the doc.

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 10:26 PM

what filters are you using? Both Moroso #22470 and K&N #HP-3001 (I currently use) have filter bypass relief valves
Posted By: jamesc

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/06/09 10:30 PM

Quote:

When 19 gpm hits an oil filter that flows 12gpm,the bypass opens and you ain't filtering s#$%!!

first let me say i'm not trying to start a peeing contest and i myself wouldn't want oil bypassing the filter. that said regardless of how much the pump flows it is the amount flowing through the engine that has to go through the filter. any more than that only gets pumped in circles from the pump discharge through the relief valve then back into the suction. imho there are very few engines that are going to flow what the pump does. i know Andy Finkbeiner did research on different pumps and he may have some accurate info as far as how much oil these engines are actually using. imho as mentioned using screens on the pump suction is a good.

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/07/09 12:13 AM

Jim,I was using a single Fram HP filter when I had a lifter failure.As the grindings washed to the pan,it was sent right out the pump,through the filter and contaminated all bearings and imbedded some in the piston skirts.After changing to duel filters and a prefilter and did have another lifter failure.This time EVERYTHING was caught in the filters with no oil system contamination.The Milodon pump ia advertised to pump 19 to 21 gallons per minute.The Moroso filter is advertised to flow 16 gpm,,,sooooooo,,I use a double oil filter set up.Some very expensive R&D out of my pocket and I can only hope to save a member of my MOPARTS family a few from my findings

Attached picture 5651227-117-1729_IMG.JPG

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/07/09 03:46 AM

wasn't thinking about the filter, checked on my system 1 short filter, it is rated at 24gpm. so i should be good with this
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/07/09 04:35 AM

as far as the bypass in the filter,,, it is regulated by the pressures on both sides of the filter element,,, usually if the internal pressure is 3-5lbs less than the external the bypass will open

if you have no bypass make sure your filter is huge,,, i mean huge,,, like really big,,, or else you can restrict volume and blow your motor

Re: bb milodon oil pump - 12/08/09 10:51 PM

Quote:

as far as the bypass in the filter,,, it is regulated by the pressures on both sides of the filter element,,, usually if the internal pressure is 3-5lbs less than the external the bypass will open

if you have no bypass make sure your filter is huge,,, i mean huge,,, like really big,,, or else you can restrict volume and blow your motor

i talked to system one today. and there oil filter takes 14 lb differential to open the relief. and it only takes 1/2lb of pressure to push oil through the 45 micron screen

i am going to say if the filter is stopped up enoughto have that kind of differential, with hot oil, that the engine is already toast
© 2024 Moparts Forums