Moparts

Which bearings do you prefer

Posted By: sc301v

Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 03:54 PM

Clevite or federal mogul or ? Just wandering what the bearing of choice is for everyone and why.
Posted By: turbobitt

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 06:05 PM

I like the FM mains with the 3/4 groove. The Clevite performance bearing is a full groove and I don't like the idea of the reduced bearing erea and extra oil of a full groove bearing.
I do like the Clevite rod bearings. If I remeber correctly, they have a larger selection of performance, narrowed and chamfered bearings then FM.
Allan G.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 06:14 PM

I use to use the Clevewite 77 bearings until they stop making a lot of the Chrysler motor bearings, I use the Federal Moguls now. On the BB andHemi main bearings I use the narrow full groove truck bearings, I have seen way to many of those motors spin rod bearings with half groove bearins. All of the production race and street Hemi motors came with full groove bearings from the factory
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 08:13 PM

King... http://www.kingbearings.com/advantages.html

ever since switching to them..ive had no bearring issues...

Alecular material is used exclusively by King. It is an alloy of aluminum, tin, copper and several other elements. Because it is an alloy, it maintains its properties throughout its entire depth, delivering consistent and reliable performance.

cheapst
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 08:59 PM

Should you be concerned if not having problems with regular clevite bearings? I mean, should I change something that would make me have to use some other bearings? I have never had bearing problems despite of supposedly making some steam.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 10:20 PM

kings but it's an opinion like all others, unfortunately they don't have a wide selection for mopars
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/04/09 10:41 PM

Quote:

I like the FM mains with the 3/4 groove. The Clevite performance bearing is a full groove and I don't like the idea of the reduced bearing erea and extra oil of a full groove bearing.
I do like the Clevite rod bearings. If I remeber correctly, they have a larger selection of performance, narrowed and chamfered bearings then FM.
Allan G.

any of the name brand performance bearings will be fine. More important is machining, clearance, oil volume, oil type, detonation prevention, etc. The most expensive exotic bearings will not cure any of those.

Jyrki, if what you are doing is working do not change it.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 01:14 AM

Quote:

Clevite or federal mogul or ? Just wandering what the bearing of choice is for everyone and why.

Calico

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 01:17 AM

Quote:

Calico

do they have their own line? I thought they just coated others.
Posted By: Defbob

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 01:20 AM

they coat Clevite bearings. figured because of that I could count them in

Attached picture 5646865-2-27-07-04.JPG
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 01:39 AM

Where is Calico & how do you contact them? Thanks

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 01:41 AM

They're in NC and stock most major brands.

http://www.calicocoatings.com/

I like coated bearings, even if it is a sacrificial coating. At minimum a little insurance at first start and breakin.

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 02:44 AM

check them..cause i know they make B/hemi crank bearings...with tons of part numbers..
smallblock for my hasnt been a problem...

they have some killer tolerence and machine standards..
mutilple versions of material.for applications.
they make excellent marine application bearings also..
i understand they are made in Isreal..not china fwiw....

here is a search engine..

http://www.king-bearings.com/cat/html/engines.htm

cheapst
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/05/09 03:33 AM

KING bearings rock. Pull a set of rod bearings and mic them. Then pull a set of Clevite. You will never look back...
Todd
Posted By: BradH

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/15/09 05:25 PM

What are people's experiences with - or opinions of - ACL brand bearings? Calico offers them coated, too.

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/15/09 09:32 PM

Also figured I'd throw this article into the mix: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/1457/dialing_in_on_todayx2019s_engine_bearing_trends.aspx

I found it extremely interesting how the bearing companies themselves describe the pros and cons of the different material types.

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/17/09 04:13 AM

Quote:

What are people's experiences with - or opinions of - ACL brand bearings?

I'm bumping this because it looks like I'll need to use either Clevite's H-series or ACL's race series rod bearings to get the sizes I need for my new crank.

Because of the price difference (the +/-.001" ACLs are about half what the comparable Clevites are) and concern about the H-series bearings losing their crush (I saw this mentioned on another web site), I'm leaning towards ACL. However, I still want to run FM Comp Series 3/4-groove tri-metal mains.

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/18/09 04:47 AM

My last bump before I just give up...
Posted By: mloboda

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/19/09 02:20 AM

King high performance bearings in the AMC motor.
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/19/09 02:26 AM

Where to get king brg?
Posted By: hemiheadNC

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/19/09 05:07 AM

...anybody ever use Vandervell brgs?? We used them in our oval track stuff in the early 80's with 0 problems. Are they still around ? .........
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/19/09 04:23 PM

I think Todd Marsh may have them. I will be calling him in the next couple of weeks to see if he has. As I have also got to have some bearings.

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/19/09 10:30 PM

one more plug for King Bearings..

they should have what you need....

try a search on speed talk ...king makes a killer
bearing...
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Which bearings do you prefer - 12/20/09 01:43 AM

Quote:

...anybody ever use Vandervell brgs?? We used them in our oval track stuff in the early 80's with 0 problems. Are they still around ? .........

My personal perference. Great imbedability and dont crack/spall like the H's if you get a little detonation.
© 2024 Moparts Forums