Moparts

Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda?

Posted By: magnumcharger

Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/03/09 11:01 PM

Norm raced a 1968 SS Barracuda back in the 1970's. I believe he sold it in the 1980's.
I'm wondering who has it now, and what does it look like?

Attached picture 5644225-carpic2-1.jpg
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/04/09 01:19 PM

I believe it is the car that Don Solomon has now.

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/07/09 03:43 PM

Anybody have pictures?

Attached picture 5652420-Carsonatthetrack.jpg

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/11/09 01:41 AM

Attached picture 5660062-NormCarson1.JPG
Posted By: restoracer

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/13/09 02:00 AM

Norms old cuda was owned by John Mountjoy years ago but is now owned by Danny Smith and was at the all hemi reunion in Ohio last year,its red and silver and still looks beautiful,would like to see more pics of norms old car if possible.

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/14/09 04:43 PM

Post a few pictures of it in it's present state...and I'll match them with my vintage shots!

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/14/09 05:57 PM

Sounds good,i will scan some next weekend,do you have any of wendell howes old ss/da challenger also?

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/15/09 12:14 AM

Quote:

Sounds good,i will scan some next weekend,do you have any of wendell howes old ss/da challenger also?

Nope!

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/20/09 01:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope!

magnumcharger,you have pm

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 12:50 AM

Danny Smith's Hemi Barracuda, which was the former car of Norm Carson.

Attached picture 6922745-thert5(1).JPG
Posted By: topside

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 01:19 AM

In the ad, the engine builder's name should be "Lambeck" not "Lamberk"; Bob did the Hemi in my RR, and for quite a while was really good on them; might still be. The cage is interesting, too; my ex-SS/IA Duster has the same kind of downbars, which strictly speaking are no longer NHRA-legal, though I haven't been bounced out of tech for it yet. Commonly referred to as a Butler design, though to the best of our knowledge Herb McCandless did the one in my car.
Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 04:31 AM

Quote:

Danny Smith's Hemi Barracuda, which was the former car of Norm Carson.

Hey, That's the rear 1/4 of my yellow Hemi cuda in the back ground !
Posted By: PC-CHARGER

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 04:33 AM

A few more for you.

Attached picture 6923146-HPIM2248.JPG

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 04:34 AM

Attached picture 6923148-HPIM2378.JPG

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 04:36 AM

3 As a bonus, this shot also includes Diane Sox, Butch Leal and Buddy Martin

Attached picture 6923153-HPIM2380.JPG

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 09:40 PM

Nice pics! Thank you!
Here's another picture from 1978!

Attached picture 6924046-NormCarson1.JPG
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 10:51 PM

I like how the old ad says $3500 paint job! LOL! That was a top of the line paint job then!
Posted By: LSP

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/17/11 11:51 PM

Anyone have any pictures of Danny Smith's 1965 A990 Plymouth?

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/18/11 04:36 PM

Google "Danny Smith Hemi"...worked for me!
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 07:26 AM

Quote:

Norms old cuda was owned by John Mountjoy years ago but is now owned by Danny Smith and was at the all hemi reunion in Ohio last year,its red and silver and still looks beautiful,would like to see more pics of norms old car if possible.

I also heard a rumor that this might be Judy Lilly's old Hemi Barracuda, and it's just that 'a rumor'. But according to the ad in the first post, Paul Rossi sold the car to Norm Carson. Does anyone else here know where Rossi got the car from or the real story about this cars origins.

Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 02:42 PM

I hate to hijack, but I'd LOVE to see more pics of the Dart in the background......

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 03:05 PM

Quote:

I like how the old ad says $3500 paint job! LOL! That was a top of the line paint job then!

That was more than a lot of people had in their cars back then.

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 03:32 PM

So, this might have been Judy Lilly's car originally? Does anybody know the VIN #s of the 50 or so original Super Stock Barracudas, and their original owners?
It would be interesting to track the timeline/owners of some of these cars, this one included!

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 03:45 PM

I just Googled "Paul Rossi 1968 Hemi Barracuda".
This is the website I was directed to:
http://www.classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002&page=75

And this is what is says there:
"Norm Carson, Moncton NB Canada. Was Paul Rossi's. Rossi got it from Judy Lilly. It may have been an original".
And this:
"Judy Lilly was at the 1969 NHRA Winternationals in Pomona.
Her car was painted in a Sox & Martin scheme, and lettered with Denver Plymouth Dealers on the door.
ran SS/BA. It was re-painted later in the year, with Judy Lilly on the door and Denver Plymouth Dealers high on the rear quarter panels.

In 1969 she posted at best of 10.52 @ 132.80.

As per the information, she got the car in August 68', spent 5 months putting it together at a cost of $8000.
She was a Hot Rod Magazine feature article for April 1970".

Attached picture 6941779-norm%20carson.jpg

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 05:33 PM

Which car did you want pictures of Wayne? The orange or the white one?

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/29/11 06:05 PM

How about starting a new thread for other cars, least this body of knowledge get sidetracked?
Posted By: 68hemiss

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/30/11 05:23 AM

Norm's Barracuda was originally Jim Wick's car from here in WI. Jim sold the car to Paul Rossi - Rossi sold the car to Norm. I belive he got it back and then it went to George Wejbe with Rick Houser driving - almost won the NHRA S/S title in the 80's. Later sold to John Mountjoy - Rick Johnson driving - later sold to Danny Smith - I think I got them all.
Mark J
1968 Hemi S/S Registry
Posted By: topside

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/30/11 07:24 AM

There's a Judy Lilly thread on the Colesy-Junior Stock Forum with several photos of her '68 Cuda, which either had several different paint & lettering schemes, or she drove more than one them.

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/30/11 01:57 PM

Quote:

Norm's Barracuda was originally Jim Wick's car from here in WI. Jim sold the car to Paul Rossi - Rossi sold the car to Norm. I belive he got it back and then it went to George Wejbe with Rick Houser driving - almost won the NHRA S/S title in the 80's. Later sold to John Mountjoy - Rick Johnson driving - later sold to Danny Smith - I think I got them all.
Mark J
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

So, Judy Lilly and Jim Wicks both sold their cars to Paul Rossi? Do you have any pictures of the Wicks car over it's various ownerships?
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/30/11 02:39 PM

Quote:

Which car did you want pictures of Wayne? The orange or the white one?

Orange.....I'm diggin' the paint.....

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 11/30/11 09:29 PM

As for Paul Rossi's old Hemi Barracuda, some of the old photo's that I've seen of his car was that he was using the 'Motor Wheel Flys' on the car, as seen in the photos posted above on Norm Carson's old Hemi Barracuda. But you're saying that Rossi's & Carson's old cars were Jim Wick's old Matchmaker Barracuda then.

Posted By: 68hemiss

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/01/11 12:36 AM

Jim Wick bought the car new - ran it with three different paint schemes - (he did very well with the car even winning SS/A at Pomona in 70-1)then sold it to Paul Rossi - Rossi re-painted the car - added Motor Wheel Flys and ran the car for a few years - then sold it to Norm - Norm painted the car dark blue/black and later painted it orange and white - George Wejbie ran the orange and white paint.

Judy Lilly also bought her car new - I am guessing that whoever thought it was a S&M car has only seen a B&W picture of the car - it had a very similar paint scheme as S&M but instead of red, white & blue - hers was blue & white. She did change the paint almost every year and later sold the car to a guy in CA - this later became the yellow DeFrank & Cohen Barracuda that wa on the cover of Popular Hot Rodding in the late 70's. I question whether Judy had more than one Barracuda (as the Miss Mighty Mopar car - definately had 2 slightly different paint schemes and different number) but according to her she only had one.
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/01/11 04:12 PM

Quote:

Jim Wick bought the car new - ran it with three different paint schemes - (he did very well with the car even winning SS/A at Pomona in 70-1)then sold it to Paul Rossi - Rossi re-painted the car - added Motor Wheel Flys and ran the car for a few years - then sold it to Norm - Norm painted the car dark blue/black and later painted it orange and white - George Wejbie ran the orange and white paint.

Judy Lilly also bought her car new - I am guessing that whoever thought it was a S&M car has only seen a B&W picture of the car - it had a very similar paint scheme as S&M but instead of red, white & blue - hers was blue & white. She did change the paint almost every year and later sold the car to a guy in CA - this later became the yellow DeFrank & Cohen Barracuda that wa on the cover of Popular Hot Rodding in the late 70's. I question whether Judy had more than one Barracuda (as the Miss Mighty Mopar car - definately had 2 slightly different paint schemes and different number) but according to her she only had one.
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

Thank you Mark for this definative answer!
On another, but related topic, where can I get the list of S/S Barracudas (the point of delivery, original owners, VIN #s...etc?).

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/04/11 11:32 PM

Good to know that info posted above, but how about replying to one of your old threads that you started a few years ago.

68 SS Registry
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/05/11 02:43 AM

There is a great thread on these cars at the class racer forum!

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002&highlight=hemi+dart
Posted By: camdog440

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/05/11 03:33 AM

Quote:

Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry

There was a guy in the Baton Rouge area that was running a '68 Hemi Barracuda in SS/BM in the mid '90's. I believe he claimed that car was the former Judy Lilly car. He couldn't get the car competitive in the class with the Hemi and switched over to an Oldsmobile Achieva. I don't know what happened to the Barracuda.

It's been a while, but I believe he also told me that he had his shop broken into and much of the hemi engine stuff was stolen out of the car. He said they opened the metal shop like a tin can and knew what they were taking. That was happened right before he switched over to the Olds.

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 12/12/11 02:47 PM

"George Wejbe with Rick Houser driving - almost won the NHRA S/S title in the 80's. Later sold to John Mountjoy - Rick Johnson driving".

Any pictures of the car in these configurations?

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 06/06/16 01:43 PM

Anybody have photos of this car from it's time in the John Mountjoy stable? I just came across a shot of it in it's final paint scheme during Norm Carson's ownership.

Attached picture IMG_9120.JPG

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 06/06/16 01:47 PM

George Weibe ownership. Rick Houser driving.

Attached picture 537342_10151334276386314_1604394345_n.jpg
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Who owns Norm Carson's '68 Hemi Cuda? - 06/06/16 05:16 PM

Thank you for posting these pictures. I love the looks of these Barracudas with the huge tires and jacked up rears. Anyone know what size wheel and tire combos they were using back then? I am building a '67 street beast and want to have it look similar.
© 2024 Moparts Forums