Moparts

wont crank!! and stuff......

Posted By: cudaben1968

wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/02/09 04:15 AM

Just playing with my barracuda and have been trying to fix some wiring issues that some idiot(me) has created over the last 11 years. here is my problem maybe somebody or everybody can help out.
Its a 68 cuda with a 440/540 now has msd 6al, 93 toyota alt(internally regulated), batt in the trunk, and a hack job of wiring. so here is my issue. i just replaced my started relay b/c it was busted. i have power to it from the batt. and the neutral saftey switch is hooked up and i checked for continuity and its good, the yellow wire from the relay to the ign swtch is good too. and when i turn the ign switch i get 12 or 13 volts at the yellow ign wire at the relay. but it wont crank. if i jump the hot post to the starter sol. it will kick over. but not by the key.... any ideas?

and with the batt in the trunk do i run my alt power straight back to the opp side of the batt kill switch or to the battery itself?

also with msd 6al can i get rid of my ballast resistor? if so what do i do with the four wires on it?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/02/09 06:45 AM

Is the ground wire from the transmission nuetral switch hooked up and functioning correctly?
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/02/09 12:49 PM

Make sure you don't don't have the crank and nutral safety wires on the wrong posts.

If you ground the neutral safety post it should start with the key. If so something is wrong with the safety switch or wiring.

With MSD ignition you can toss the ballast resistor. Just tape the ends to the harness so they aren't hanging down, until you get a chance to rewire the car. If stock ignition isn't being used the ballast resistor does nothing.

The alt wire needs to go to the battery or the battery side of the switch. If you put it to the on side of the switch the car will never shut off with the emergency safety switch. Or if you don't feel like running the heavy alt wire all the way back there just run your hot ignition wire back there and attach it to the small on post(this option will only work if you have a 4 post switch)...
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/02/09 02:25 PM

The starter relay has to be well grounded, too...

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/03/09 04:27 AM

ok well thanks guys.
im thinking that my problem lies with the neutral safety switch.... hmmmm. i went to buy a new one and all they had were three post switches. mine is a single. anyone know what i can get that?
Posted By: DemonDust

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/03/09 04:31 AM

Quote:

ok well thanks guys.
im thinking that my problem lies with the neutral safety switch.... hmmmm. i went to buy a new one and all they had were three post switches. mine is a single. anyone know what i can get that?

HUH?
Posted By: 67dodgeracer

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/03/09 04:35 AM

The three post will work,the center post is for the neutral safety wire.

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/03/09 04:47 AM

where do the back up lights work from? and my neutral switch is a threaded single post. so just make a push on type plug for it then?
Posted By: 67dodgeracer

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/03/09 04:55 AM

I believe a simple female bullet type wire connector will work fine.Don't remember which is for the backup,sorry.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: wont crank!! and stuff...... - 12/03/09 06:58 AM

Quote:

I believe a simple female bullet type wire connector will work fine.Don't remember which is for the backup,sorry.

The early cars before the three post nuetral switch and a switch on the colum for the back up lights. The center post is the nuetral switch and the other two are for the back up lights on the later cars. There are two different lengths of the center post switches for the early and ancient cars, what year is yours?
© 2024 Moparts Forums