Moparts

Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages

Posted By: wldtm

Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 12:54 AM

Going to be dropping off our truck to the chassis shop and what some other ideas on cages in dodge dakotas. Any pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Justin
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 01:39 AM

Here are some of a customers truck.I'am doing a funny car cage in one now.Will get some pictures up later.What motor are you going to run?Lenny

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 01:50 AM

nice work...any pics of the bars running down through the dash?
Are you guys running inner fenders?

Here is a pic of the truck before, was a street/strip deal.

It is now hopefully going to run NHRA H Stick.

360 Magnum with a jerico!

thanks..very nice work, and exactly what i wanted to see?

Did you take the dashout?

Attached picture 5625064-Picture009.jpg

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 01:55 AM

nother

Attached picture 5625083-Picture008.jpg

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 02:02 AM

Yes I take the dash out.Just cut a half moon in the dash and it will go in smooth.I donot run innerfenders,the bars will need to really high or really low to get them in.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 02:13 AM

awesome pics. THANKS so much... I wanted to run the knee bar behind the dash like you did. Looks like it is only possible by taking the dash out for the other bars to run close to the windshield and pillar.

Whats the plans for this truck of your customers?

justin
Posted By: ram87

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 02:38 PM

'97 Dak

Attached picture 5625884-dakrb1.jpg

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 02:39 PM

Attached picture 5625888-dakrb2.jpg

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 02:42 PM

#3 I know it's hard to see the black on black. Sorry

Attached picture 5625892-dakrb3.jpg
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 02:51 PM

8secDart: What headers did you use or are they custom fabbed?
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 05:48 PM

Dont have any photos of the cage but it was built so the driver set back in the club cab and the motor was set back as well.the result was 49.5% rear weight, the truck 60 fted very well and would hook on any track,also with the motor set back a hooker super comp b-body header worked with a small mod.Get that weight on the rear and it will serve you well.If I can find any more photos I will get them to you.

Attached picture 5626200-dakota.jpg
Posted By: challenger73400

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 11:09 PM

97 reg cab. I don't have any good pics.

Attached picture 5626808-interior001resize.jpg
Posted By: challenger73400

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 11:12 PM

I have a cross brace on it now but here's the back

Attached picture 5626816-5-7-09045resized.jpg

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/25/09 11:50 PM

Quote:

8secDart: What headers did you use or are they custom fabbed?

Them were A-Body fenderwell.Have to change two tubes on each side.I'am building custom headers from now on.I have two more Dakotas to build so lots of practice coming.Lenny

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/28/09 03:50 AM

Here are some of my truck.Updating to go headsup racing.Need to go 5.30s in the 1/8 on stock suspension.Hope to have it done by the first of the year.

Posted By: TrxR

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/28/09 08:26 PM

8secdart: that thing must be hard to get in and out of??
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 11/29/09 05:17 PM

Looks like a one piece grill/bumper/fender combo on your truck...All fiberglass?

Custom? I haven't see one like that before.
Posted By: Intense RT Dan

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/03/09 04:32 AM

All nice work!!
Posted By: sturmenater

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 08:12 PM

I know im draging up a old post but in need some explaing how are you guys dealing with the back braces on the cage going through the rear window i see the newer dakota the picture show it going through the sheetmetal above it im getting ready to put a cage in my 1st gen and i dont know if there is anough metal there above it
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 08:55 PM

8secDart: Where did you get that window net setup?

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 09:03 PM

Quote:

Here are some of my truck.Updating to go headsup racing.Need to go 5.30s in the 1/8 on stock suspension.Hope to have it done by the first of the year.

I love this cage, but I called an NHRA tech director and he said in not so many words that it would not certify. It basically needs the down bars to the rear frame for certification, is what i was told, even with the funny car cage.

Now, that doesnt mean a local guy wouldnt have certified it, but I guess I cant take that chance.

Lenny, have you had yours certified, or plan on it?

justin
Posted By: Sick 660r

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 09:55 PM

Quote:

Dont have any photos of the cage but it was built so the driver set back in the club cab and the motor was set back as well.the result was 49.5% rear weight, the truck 60 fted very well and would hook on any track,also with the motor set back a hooker super comp b-body header worked with a small mod.Get that weight on the rear and it will serve you well.If I can find any more photos I will get them to you.

Did you move your motor back 5"? I thought I read something about you doing so. I wonder if moving mine back 2.5" will make a difference at all?

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 10:50 PM

My local Cert guy come over and looked before paint.He said that it will pass.I went as far as to tell him I'd put the bars in for the cert but they would be cut out before paint,LOL
He told me on the trucks the SFI is a little grey area.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 11:17 PM

maybe I need to come down there to get certified. I hate those bars.
Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/24/11 11:41 PM

Quote:

I love this cage, but I called an NHRA tech director and he said in not so many words that it would not certify. It basically needs the down bars to the rear frame for certification, is what i was told, even with the funny car cage.

Now, that doesnt mean a local guy wouldnt have certified it, but I guess I cant take that chance.

Lenny, have you had yours certified, or plan on it?

justin

I don't wanna start an argument, but same here in Cali, the tech directors said they wouldn't cert it and promoters said they wouldn't let it run.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/25/11 12:02 AM

If it has a tag how can a the track say it can't run.This is the problem with the trucks every other person has a differet outlook on the rules.
My cert guy said if it had a funnycar cage it was legal.That is all I needed!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/25/11 03:13 AM

This is a c/m cage. I still havent got a chance to carpet it put my ppp shifter and kirkeys in yet so dont judge lol.

Posted By: n20mstr

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/25/11 03:14 AM

is it 25.5 7.50 cert or sportsman 8.50 cert?

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/25/11 03:16 AM

Cage looks killer.Here is mine all done.I still need to mount the pass seat.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 01/25/11 03:18 AM

Quote:

is it 25.5 7.50 cert or sportsman 8.50 cert?

Mine or his,LOL
mine is only 8.50
Posted By: 340Dart

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 03/17/11 12:31 AM

I just was reading through some of the posts and I saw your question on the window nets, the cages and nets in the Dakotas came from AutoWeld - in Pa. I own the Blue Dakota that Lenny is building, I bought the first cage from them, the cage fit extremely well, Lenny was impressed enough to order his cage from them also.

http://autoweldchassis.com/rbc.ivnu

Steve R

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 03/17/11 12:43 AM

Even the A-pillar bars are from autoweld?

The problem with the autoweld, is if I do run there set-up I will likely run the kicker bars, and theirs go thru the body, which I would rather the glass (would rather not have them at all).

Thanks for the update, looks good btw.

justin
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 03/17/11 02:27 AM

Call Jim Collins he is the NHRA southeast tech director.

I can save you the time. You must have the rear bars unless you cert 25.4 or 25.5. The funny car cage is only part of the requirements in those specs. It's not a grey area. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. You either follow the requirement in the rulebook to certify to 8.50 or follow the roll bar spec for 10.00. Both require the bars to the rear. I have been hashing this out with my customer for over a year now. Problem is he sees guys with illegal cages running at the track. Have a hard time explaining that VMP or Bristol is going to send you home if you don't have what is required.

Here is a pic of a currently illegal cage per customer request. We are looking into adding to it which is far harder now than doing to begin with. The rear bars are to keep the cage from being rolled off of the driver. I put the dash bar through the A-pilars so it aint coming out. But, rules are rules. The door bars are not installed yet. Can't work around them.

Leon

Attached picture 6533845-dakotashrunk1.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 03/17/11 02:33 AM

im not a huge fan of trucks,but lennys truck makes me kinda weak in the knees

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 03/18/11 03:24 AM

Quote:

Call Jim Collins he is the NHRA southeast tech director.

I can save you the time. You must have the rear bars unless you cert 25.4 or 25.5. The funny car cage is only part of the requirements in those specs. It's not a grey area. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. You either follow the requirement in the rulebook to certify to 8.50 or follow the roll bar spec for 10.00. Both require the bars to the rear. I have been hashing this out with my customer for over a year now. Problem is he sees guys with illegal cages running at the track. Have a hard time explaining that VMP or Bristol is going to send you home if you don't have what is required.

Here is a pic of a currently illegal cage per customer request. We are looking into adding to it which is far harder now than doing to begin with. The rear bars are to keep the cage from being rolled off of the driver. I put the dash bar through the A-pilars so it aint coming out. But, rules are rules. The door bars are not installed yet. Can't work around them.

Leon

Leon mine has all the bars they call for!!!!!!!!!!
The rocker bars are under the rocker real tight.I think it just depends on the tech guy.I have a lot of kicker bars in places most would not put them.
I'am going back to running on the street so all the tech guys can kiss my redheaded butt!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 03/19/11 01:30 AM

If the cage is certified the tech guy is out of the picture all together. If there is any doubt cary the spec. around with you. It either passes certification or not. All sanctions I know of honor the SFI spec. NHRA and IHRA honor it for sure. So a bold tech guy means nothing.

I can tell you this I had a little experience with a tech guy in Florida. He was a smartaz and was saying my car was not legal, but he was going to be nice and let me run. I was using the VIN for a chassis number instead of a stamped plate on the cage. Jim Collins had certified the car. I pulled the paperwork(receipt more or less) out of the glove box that was given to me with Jim's signature at the bottom. Lets just say the little smartaz got real weak in the knees and started backing up on what he had been saying.

The chassis now has a plate with the VIN on it. Did that when I upgraded to 25.2.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/05/11 10:05 PM

bump on an old thread. does anyone have any pics of how they tie the cage to the frame? any pics would be appreciated. Specifically the A pillar bars.

thanks

Justin
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/06/11 12:25 AM

Quote:

bump on an old thread. does anyone have any pics of how they tie the cage to the frame? any pics would be appreciated. Specifically the A pillar bars.

thanks

Justin

No pics, but when I was asking the guys at Kammers once, they told me that you could weld the cage inside the cab to a steel plate, which is welded to the floor as well, then weld another plate to the frame, and use bolts through the plates to hold it all together.

or cut holes in the factory floor and weld the tubes to the frame.

I was just shooting the bull with them while I had my big block on their dyno, and they were talking about how they race some Dakota's, they asked if I wanted to race mine or not. just some chit-chat between dyno pulls, since I had no intention of building a race only truck, it was full trim, full factory interior, full factory sheetmetal street "fun truck"

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/06/11 12:36 AM

The Kammer guys build a lot of engines for Dakota stockers. Great people! WLDTM, the trucks I have seen all had outriggers welded off the frames towards the rockers, they were tied together, and the roll cage landed on top of the outriggers.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/06/11 12:38 AM

Quote:

The Kammer guys build a lot of engines for Dakota stockers. Great people! WLDTM, the trucks I have seen all had outriggers welded off the frames towards the rockers, they were tied together, and the roll cage landed on top of the outriggers.

thats the way my dads is done. you got any pics brad???

I guess i could go to kammers, since it is a whole 30 minutes away.

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/06/11 01:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

thats the way my dads is done. you got any pics brad???

I guess i could go to kammers, since it is a whole 30 minutes away.

I do not have any pics. Katfysh used to have some, but they are no longer hosted. Get some while you are there and tell Bob that brad from Cali says hi!
Posted By: TrxR

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/06/11 02:04 AM

Ive got pics of katfysh's

Attached picture 6952755-ed6c88e3.jpg

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 12/06/11 02:45 AM

awesome. thats what i wanted to see.

thanks
Posted By: Captain Chaos

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 07/21/14 03:16 PM

Any more pics? Katfysh pic kind of answers my question. I'm curious how my main hoop and outriggers will go in with the rear cab mount in almost the same location.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 07/22/14 06:48 AM

the kicker comes through the floor

Attached picture 8215966-130907_004.jpg
Posted By: Duner

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 07/22/14 01:44 PM

Here's how I did my outriggers for my '99 Dakota.

Outrigger with stub up and plate to bottom of floor.
Main hoop with plates at floor that bolts thru floor to plate from outriggers.

Posted By: Captain Chaos

Re: Let's see your Dodge Dakota Roll Cages - 07/22/14 02:25 PM

Quote:

Here's how I did my outriggers for my '99 Dakota.

Outrigger with stub up and plate to bottom of floor.
Main hoop with plates at floor that bolts thru floor to plate from outriggers.

Yeah I have your pics saved from that "other" page.
On my gen2 the main hoop appears to be about a 1/2" wider than the bolt hole for the rear cab mounts. Not sure how they end up on gen3's. Katfysh Daks pic looks like what i'll do. Its either that or like you did, weld plates then run a tube from the outrigger to the floor and create a new cab mount with the bar.
© 2024 Moparts Forums