Moparts

Brewer Heads

Posted By: moderncylinder

Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 05:16 PM

i have an nc program for fred brewer heads if anyone out there has any that do not perform up to their expectations...

flow 460/295,, 335 with a pipe on exh,, .900 lift,, 50 degree seats

2.375/1.860

56 cc chamber
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 06:02 PM

Nce numbers
Posted By: John Burdine

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 06:04 PM

i had no idea those heads were capable of those kinda #'s. anybody want to trade for some -1's.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 06:14 PM

Fred Brewer got it right years ago. The only head that flows better is the B1-PSO. Brewers valves are even longer than B1s...wish I had a set..you see them from time to time in the classifieds.
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 07:26 PM

this head would flow right with a pso,,, just depends on how big the ports are in each,, but with the same flow id bet the brewer would make more power because the intake port is raised higher,, better approach to the cylinder,, its better for the inertia effect on the cylinder while filling in the compression stroke..

brodix aluminum is known for not being good,, some guys wont use a brodix on power cars no matter what,,, mike moran has told me some horror stories,, ive seen many brodix heads that seemed fine new then turned to mush after running awhile.

you can also bolt on a 440-1 header to the brewer,, makes it easier to get the motor in cars,, and header availability is better for guys that do not have a custom header shop in their area
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:17 PM

anyone know what happened to the casting cores?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:23 PM

Wow..I didnt know...
I passed on a set of these once cause I just didnt feel I knew enough about them etc..I assume only sheet metal intakes was used? Was there ever a cast intake produced?

Come on guys lets see these thing..post some pics..
I posted a thread about these a few years ago, when i happen to run across this set..This tread has more info than what I uncovered..LOL
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:36 PM

A buddy bought a new set in '91 or '92 or was later on...but never used them. I could check and see if he still has them.
Fred
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:37 PM

weren't they based off the AMC pro stock head of years ago? i thought they themselves had casting issues. iirc not all that long ago there was a thread here saying the casting cores were still in existence

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:40 PM

Quote:

anyone know what happened to the casting cores?

I heard a few years back that Fred was selling the casting cores. I still dont know why some one does'nt bring these heads back. They are simply the best wedge head ever made.
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:41 PM

if I remember correctly Eric Shelton did alot of work with Brewer and may be a resource.

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:45 PM

Quote:

weren't they based off the AMC pro stock head of years ago? i thought they themselves had casting issues. iirc not all that long ago there was a thread here saying the casting cores were still in existence

According to Senatores book, the Brewer is "very similar to the 1970 AMC pro stock head"..so maybe thats where Fred got his design.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:54 PM

Canfield had the core boxes for a while. They were working with Fred trying to produce them in greater numbers. They never got it right and gave them back to Fred. Had something to do with the exhaust side of the casting IIRC. Thats when he was trying to sell the whole deal. I built a 400 block based 514 that made 913 hp @ 7100 rpm with the 2.300-1.800 valves.Cant remember the tq off the top of my head, I think 735. As stated the valves are way long, Ti is a must at least on the intake. T&D makes the rockers and Milodon used to make the head studs.
Bob

Attached picture 5618816-CarPic2.jpg
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 08:56 PM

Fred made AMC heads years before he made the Mopar heads.

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 09:21 PM

do the brewers need a special pison like the B1's ..

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 11:03 PM

Quote:

Wow..I didnt know...
I passed on a set of these once cause I just didnt feel I knew enough about them etc..I assume only sheet metal intakes was used? Was there ever a cast intake produced?

Come on guys lets see these thing..post some pics..
I posted a thread about these a few years ago, when i happen to run across this set..This tread has more info than what I uncovered..LOL

there's a cast intake for low decks similar to a B1 and can be used for RB with spacers.

the chamber is only 62 cc so dish pistons may have to be used.

I dont have any pix of the heads per se..just conplete motors with FBS heads. Senator has a comparo pic in his book next to a B1..the Brewer is taller and has fatter/higher ports like a PSO.
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 11:16 PM

Quote:

this head would flow right with a pso,,, just depends on how big the ports are in each,, but with the same flow id bet the brewer would make more power because the intake port is raised higher,, better approach to the cylinder,, its better for the inertia effect on the cylinder while filling in the compression stroke..

brodix aluminum is known for not being good,, some guys wont use a brodix on power cars no matter what,,, mike moran has told me some horror stories,, ive seen many brodix heads that seemed fine new then turned to mush after running awhile.

you can also bolt on a 440-1 header to the brewer,, makes it easier to get the motor in cars,, and header availability is better for guys that do not have a custom header shop in their area

I used to do a lot of porting years ago and always thought Brodix stuff was a pita to port because of the poor quality of the castings, they made good power but I wondered about the foundry process. I tried to relate to plastic injection molding where you could always tell the percentage of reclaim pellets coming through the screw versus virgin pellets. The reclaim was so much harder to contend with.

Joey
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 11:23 PM

I thought I just saw a set of these for sale in the race section ??? or maybe it was zeekers ?? ?

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/21/09 11:31 PM

Quote:

I thought I just saw a set of these for sale in the race section ??? or maybe it was zeekers ?? ?

You probably saw both. You can find Brewers on Racing junk too once in a while.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/15/09 03:23 AM

Nice Numbers..
I thought they would flow well at .900

They were ahead of their time when cast too bad it did not work out for Fred. Casting and Machining issues and not enough sales killed it.
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/15/09 04:12 AM

Quote:

Fred made AMC heads years before he made the Mopar heads.

Nope --the first set actually run were Mopar castings

The core boxes were at a foundry in Texas and were destroyed several years ago
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/15/09 03:02 PM

Daytona5812 ,Vern, runs a set on a 604 with duel dominators, goes 7.80s or better last I heard in a 2500 lb Daytona. Motor dynoed over 1100 hp at Lance Lines dyno(Jasons brother).
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/15/09 03:09 PM

Just found the dyno post;
As most of you know, my last dyno session ended in disaster. Well, it's been a long road back,{ 1 year}, & I finally got the new motor done. Last motor was a 572. This time I went to a 606 cu in.
Went to the dyno today, & things turned out alot better. I'm so happy I could scream. I was hoping for 1020-1050 hp.
What I got was 1124 hp at 7200 & 902 tq at 5700.
Can't wait till summer. Vern!!!
Also found his last run stats; 1800DA, headwind, 175 mph at 7.86
Posted By: jkwedge540

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/25/10 10:09 PM

what would you need to start making these heads again. I can get a set of these heads that have just been cleaned up?

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/25/10 10:39 PM

get'm while there hot!

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1283/Heads/post/2025258/Brewer-Big-Block-MoPar-Heads.html
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/26/10 03:17 AM

Quote:

get'm while there hot!

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1283/Heads/post/2025258/Brewer-Big-Block-MoPar-Heads.html

Id like to see them. I might cal tomarrow and see what the deal is, and what it takes to buy them. Id like to check them out personally. I heard they can have many casting issue's as well as other problems.
By Virgin, I wonder if that means No port work? I would like that if that haven't been ground on. I would send them to Modern pick up a World Block before they dry up. Build a 540-572 inches with 15:1 on alky and try to run 6's. What rocker choices do we have? Anyone know any specifics on valve locations/angles?
Posted By: Bighead440

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/26/10 06:21 AM

I actually have two sets of Brewers and have run neither set. One set is some of the last cast by FBS and have the late logo and better casting quality. The other set, which I want to try first, is older and has had some pushrod tunnel milling (drilling?) that went through to the intake ports. I think someone was trying to set them up for use with a flat tappet cam or non-offset roller lifters and had to relieve the holes, or maybe they used a rocker with inadequate offset. I have one new set of valves (almost 7" long), the low-block intake, and dedicated spray-bar valve covers. This is encouraging news about the CNC program, maybe I'll get the tunnels/port walls welded and send them in. How much for the CNCing??? RB
Posted By: 68dart500

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/27/10 11:06 PM

http://predatorheads.com/

I believe this Company has the old Fred Brewer head now.

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/27/10 11:44 PM

Quote:

Predators have splayed valves, Brewers do not.
Posted By: 68dart500

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/28/10 08:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My bad your right this are not the brewer heads
Talk to one of Freds friend today, He thought that Fred had one set left and a place in OKC has a set for sale,that never been run.

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/28/10 09:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My bad your right this are not the brewer heads
Talk to one of Freds friend today, He thought that Fred had one set left and a place in OKC has a set for sale,that never been run.

I always wondered why nobody bought Freds stuff and brought them back...great head! Ony the B1-PSO comes close but the Brewer is still best.

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/28/10 11:08 PM

Well indy owns predator now so just wait for the new Freindys to come out!

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 01:11 AM

$2750

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316861
Posted By: go green

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 04:22 AM

I don't see why some one would buy a ultra rare exclusive head that has known casting problems and little tech support ? The Brewer head flows slightly better than the old tried and true workhorse original ported B1.

The B1 and the Brewer are close to 20 year old cylinder head technology.

Here is the B1 next to the Predator head.

The predator next to a RPM head

Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 02:06 PM

$$$ would affect most peoples buying decision. No doubt the predator is a better head but it also has the price tag to go along with it. Deff. out of my budget and most people I know.

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 03:46 PM

Quote:

I don't see why some one would buy a ultra rare exclusive head that has known casting problems and little tech support ? The Brewer head flows slightly better than the old tried and true workhorse original ported B1.

yep, the Predator is the best head currently available for the BB mopar unless you include the Stage V Millenium head, which I believe flows better. But compare those to a Big Chief head or a Thor head and the Predator pails, its the best we have...but it's still just an "entry level" head compared to the Brand X offerings.
Posted By: Hurst390

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 03:53 PM

This guy was supposed to be working on making billet versions of the Brewer Head..You might want to get in touch with him and see how it's going..
http://www.jpmagazine.com/jeepshots/sideways/154_1101_january_2011_sideways/index.html

here is an AMC Pro Stock head..last revision

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 08:11 PM

Quote:

This guy was supposed to be working on making billet versions of the Brewer Head..You might want to get in touch with him and see how it's going..
http://www.jpmagazine.com/jeepshots/sideways/154_1101_january_2011_sideways/index.html

Looks good to me! And 2500 HP with no teardowns is pretty impressive.

Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 08:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yep, the Predator is the best head currently available for the BB mopar unless you include the Stage V Millenium head, which I believe flows better. But compare those to a Big Chief head or a Thor head and the Predator pails, its the best we have...but it's still just an "entry level" head compared to the Brand X offerings.

Entry level, really? I'm not thinking there's anything entry level about the Predator or the PSO. What do the Big Chief and Thor flow, or more importantly, what power do they make? I see the Chevy guys running blowers and NOS just to make a 7.20 bump in T/D too, so I'm not sure what you are basing your comments on.

Attached picture 6386435-19-114-Tom-Debartolo.jpg

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Entry level, really? I'm not thinking there's anything entry level about the Predator or the PSO. What do the Big Chief and Thor flow, or more importantly, what power do they make? I see the Chevy guys running blowers and NOS just to make a 7.20 bump in T/D too, so I'm not sure what you are basing your comments on.

Its not that this is'nt a great head, it is, but it will only get you in the show, at best. This is only because of the small 4.8 bore space mopar block limitation. Both the Thor and best Big Chief can use a 2.5+ intake valve...translates into about a 30/40 CFM advantage. The same applies with this Brodix head:

http://www.brodix.com/heads/pb2005.html

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/30/10 11:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its not that this is'nt a great head, it is, but it will only get you in the show, at best. This is only because of the small 4.8 bore space mopar block limitation. Both the Thor and best Big Chief can use a 2.5+ intake valve...translates into about a 30/40 CFM advantage. The same applies with this Brodix head:

http://www.brodix.com/heads/pb2005.html

I'd agree with that as the GM blocks or purpose built race block up to 5" bore spacing are available. But the PSO, Predator and even the B1 M/C's aren't what I would call entry level. The Mopar 4.800 bore spacing is the issue. And from what I hear, the 4.84 deal from indy isn't all that skippy, either. But I'll find out when I get my Predator head deal put together next year.

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/31/10 12:32 AM

Quote:

I'd agree with that as the GM blocks or purpose built race block up to 5" bore spacing are available. But the PSO, Predator and even the B1 M/C's aren't what I would call entry level. The Mopar 4.800 bore spacing is the issue. And from what I hear, the 4.84 deal from indy isn't all that skippy, either. But I'll find out when I get my Predator head deal put together next year.

Its not really an entry level head..such as the Eddlebrock RPM.. but its entry level as far as exotic heads go. That could be argued too, as the B1-PSO verges on being pretty exotic itself...as does the Brewer. But to me, a truely exotic piece will have the pro stock configuratrion...i.e, semetrical ports, splayed valves, and very long valves...which the Predator does have. Tim Banning at FHO was reputed to be doing a 4.84 Hemi with over 700 ci capabilty...not sure if that rumor is true, but thats the direrction we need to be going in, imho. Good luck with your Predator program, really, they are great heads!

Re: Brewer Heads - 12/31/10 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Its not really an entry level head..such as the Eddlebrock RPM.. but its entry level as far as exotic heads go. That could be argued too, as the B1-PSO verges on being pretty exotic itself...as does the Brewer. But to me, a truely exotic piece will have the pro stock configuratrion...i.e, semetrical ports, splayed valves, and very long valves...which the Predator does have. Tim Banning at FHO was reputed to be doing a 4.84 Hemi with over 700 ci capabilty...not sure if that rumor is true, but thats the direrction we need to be going in, imho. Good luck with your Predator program, really, they are great heads!

I'm looking forward to it. The PSO's are nice and the B1 originals were a very good bargain for 1040 HP. It takes a really good set of GM heads to make that power too. And even the Profilers and Big Chiefs usually make around 1100 HP on a 572. But you have a point that when you start talking about 700 CI and bigger, there are really no options. But as some have said on here, the Hemis like the "GM" 850 CI deal, they are really purpose built race motors and don't resemble a GM motor any more than Predator heads resemble a Mopar design. But it would be nice to have 1/4 of the options the Chevy guys have.
Posted By: Battle Scars

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/24/12 10:36 AM

Pre 1998 the Fred Brewer 440 BB heads had issues the newer Gen 3 version had all the bugs worked out.

I am looking for heads, valve components, valve covers, and intake manifold. stainless steel valves....T and D 1.75 offset roller rockers and intake manifold. This set up is the ULTIMATE in big inch Mopar power.

Anyone know what happened to Fred or Fred Brewer Sales?

Here are a couple of pictures of the heads.

Attached picture 7474285-FredBrewer440BBHeads.jpg

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/24/12 12:58 PM

There is a set for sale... I posted link on fast mopar but they are $13000
Posted By: sdaurity

Re: Brewer Heads - 11/24/12 01:36 PM

Quote:

Pre 1998 the Fred Brewer 440 BB heads had issues the newer Gen 3 version had all the bugs worked out.

I am looking for heads, valve components, valve covers, and intake manifold. stainless steel valves....T and D 1.75 offset roller rockers and intake manifold. This set up is the ULTIMATE in big inch Mopar power.

Anyone know what happened to Fred or Fred Brewer Sales?

Here are a couple of pictures of the heads.

I know where a set of the newest castings are. Just like the ones in the pic above. Just seats installed as cast runners, and he has the valves, no rocker gear or manifold. if interested shoot me a pm.
© 2024 Moparts Forums