Moparts

Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate?

Posted By: Hunted Duck

Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/16/09 09:09 PM

Was just curious if stainless steel bolts were strong enough to hold my water pump to motorplate to engine? Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/16/09 09:11 PM

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/16/09 09:16 PM

Thanks...lol. I should be ok then.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/16/09 09:23 PM

hey Jeff all ARP 12 point polished SS.....Cuz there purty
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor pla - 11/16/09 11:08 PM

Not all stainless bolts are the same quality. Just fyi
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor pla - 11/16/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

Not all stainless bolts are the same quality. Just fyi

Go with grade 8 bolts - what ever kind you use.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor pla - 11/16/09 11:29 PM

The stainless bolts you buy at your local hardware store are not very strong at all, I believe you should stay away from them. Now if you're talking ARP all of their stuff should be quality.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/16/09 11:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, as long as your engine makes less than 4,000 hp.

For sure.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:00 AM

I'm one of the few who aren't a fan of stainless steel bolts PERIOD!

Into an iron block sure, but involve aluminum or a stainless steel nut in any way.... and I run, and don't look back!!!!!!!
Posted By: hemi_doug

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, as long as your engine makes less than 4,000 hp.

For sure.

Depends on the bolt.....4 of them can hold an engine on the firewall on C130...4 BIG ones..

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/17/09 12:05 AM

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:08 AM

Quote:

On my old (now HEMIFRED's) Duster, I had a one piece motor plate with a Meziere water pump, held together by 6 stainless steel socket cap screws from Lowe's. Block is an iron Megablock. Hung together with no issues for 5 years. And than blown Hemi was heavy!

I held my blown 3000 HP hemi in my TAD with less!!

It's only a water pump and motor plate, it ain't like were talking a rod or something!
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:23 AM

Quote:

On my old (now HEMIFRED's) Duster, I had a one piece motor plate with a Meziere water pump, held together by 6 stainless steel socket cap screws from Lowe's. Block is an iron Megablock. Hung together with no issues for 5 years. And than blown Hemi was heavy!

If you had an ALUMINUM block would you have still installed the stainless hardware?
I've seen so many galled aluminum parts- even with anti-seize attempts- with stainless fasteners I am now officially a scare-D-cat.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:30 AM

Quote:

I'm one of the few who aren't a fan of stainless steel bolts PERIOD!

Into an iron block sure, but involve aluminum or a stainless steel nut in any way.... and I run, and don't look back!!!!!!!

white lithium grease or never sieze will help solve that problem, we use sst fastner's every day, mostly aircraft quality 316/316L grade , some 304 grade but the material is softer and has less chromium and will actually rust(corrode).
Posted By: Dos Snails

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:46 AM

I've twisted off a few SS bolts, Anything from a hardware store scares the crap out of me! I have to use SS hardware on my boat, I always thought SS was hard metal until now..
Posted By: BobR

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 02:11 AM

Quote:

I've twisted off a few SS bolts, Anything from a hardware store scares the crap out of me! I have to use SS hardware on my boat, I always thought SS was hard metal until now..

Just hard to cut because it work hardens. Use anti-seize with any bolt that screws into aluminum not just SS. SS bolt will gall onto a SS nut so anti-seize or loc-tite is a good idea there too.

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/17/09 02:36 AM

Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 03:50 AM

In shear and tensile strength, a grade 5 bolt is 3 x stronger than the same sized SS bolt at the hardware store. a Grade 8 is 4 x stronger.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 04:50 AM

Quote:

They do look nice - they should for the cost. The bad thing about them is you have to use 12 point wrenches/sockets. A hex bolt can be tightened by 6 or 12 point tools.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 05:42 AM

I'm using CAT bolts on my motor plate
minimum tensile strength of 150,000 psi, not too pricey and Made in USA
ARP stuff is 170,000 psi and nice looking but expensive

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 12:50 PM

Quote:

They sure are Rick
Posted By: domingo

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 01:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On my old (now HEMIFRED's) Duster, I had a one piece motor plate with a Meziere water pump, held together by 6 stainless steel socket cap screws from Lowe's. Block is an iron Megablock. Hung together with no issues for 5 years. And that blown Hemi was heavy!

If you had an ALUMINUM block would you have still installed the stainless hardware?
I've seen so many galled aluminum parts- even with anti-seize attempts- with stainless fasteners I am now officially a scare-D-cat.

Apply Never-Seize liberally on the threads. Better yet, use studs instead of bolts. Drive them in slowly to reduce heat and friction.

What does "galling" mean??
Posted By: StewartP

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 02:06 PM

Titanium studs

Attached picture 5610117-CAMSHAFTADJUSTMENTcopy.jpg
Posted By: domingo

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 02:57 PM

Quote:

Titanium studs

Talk about overkill.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/17/09 03:38 PM

Just as there are different grades of steel bolts there are also dofferent grades of stainless. If you're replacing a grade 5 steel bolt with stainless, be smart enough to do some research and use the same grade or better in stainless. "Research" means more than just asking for an opinion on Moparts!

Someone meantioned tensile strength. It doesn't take anything more than a calculator to figure out that if you use a big enough grade 3 bolt it will outperform an smaller grade 8! So where possible, increasing the size can solve your problem.

In your case the majority of the force will be in "shear". What's important is the fit of the motor plate and the hole size. If the bolt holes are sized properly to the bolts and there's no side movement then the clamping resistance of the water pump, block, etc. will all contribute to the strength of the coupling. But if there is slack in the bolt holes then all bets are off. With three bolts per side in the block and everything fitting properly you could probably use grade 3 bolts in there and they would never be a problem!
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/18/09 06:51 AM

They used to attach the engines in top fuelers with hose clamps on hte frame rails; there isn't that much force that it would require anything special. I have used Stainless ARP bolts about everywhere in our aluminum engine. Neverhad galling problems, but they tend to loosen every once in a while, mainly intake/exhaust/oil pan bolts. Don't know if that's because of the material or something else though.
Posted By: 69dart

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/18/09 10:13 AM

I use regular Stainless Bolts. I hate the steel bolts because they rust and look terrible after a couple seasons. There is an awsome hardware store in Westerville called Roush they have one of the best hardware selections I've seen locally.
Posted By: can.al

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/19/09 09:11 PM

...stainless steel is just mild steel with nickel added for corrosion protection.
nickel is soft
buy your fasteners according to their rating. this will be stamped on the head 3 marks for grads 5, 5 marks for grade 8 etc.
you can get a grade 8 stainless steel bolt..the base steel would have a high carbon content for the grade 8 rating(making it very hard and strong)the nickel will just make it corrosion resistant.
hth.........al
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Are Stainless bolts strong enough to hold motor plate? - 11/20/09 01:22 AM

Quote:

I'm using CAT bolts on my motor plate
minimum tensile strength of 150,000 psi, not too pricey and Made in USA
ARP stuff is 170,000 psi and nice looking but expensive

That's a grade 8 bolt manufactured by Lake Erie ( LE ) - a top quality fastener manufacturer in the US. Cat just had Lake Erie put their logo on them. All LE fasteners have rolled threads verses threads cut in to the bar stock. If the bolt has 6 hash marks on it ( denoting grade 8 )along with the LE trade mark, you have top quality stuff.
© 2024 Moparts Forums