Moparts

BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger?

Posted By: Bakaruda432

BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 03:57 PM

It seems in recent years that the old 6&8-71 Roots superchargers have been given a bad rap.

Most performance car mags seem to point to the Procharger or similar Centrifugal superchargers over the older Roots blowers.

Is this necessarily true, especially in light of E-85 fuel and water injection?

I love the old '70-'80s hole thru the hood Pro-Street look!

What are your thoughts?
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 03:59 PM

If I was going with a supercharger, I would go with a 8-71.
Posted By: 1mean340

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 04:23 PM

I'm just guessin here but I have always heard the centrifugal blowers were more efficient, built less heat per lb of boost which = more power.

My guess would be you'd make more peak power with the centrifugal but you'd make a lot more torque and power right off the bat with the roots.

I have always wondered this myself though. I have seen many debates between centrifugal blowers and hybrid roots/twin screws, but my guess is a plain old roots would be the most inefficient (??)
Posted By: moparniac

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 04:39 PM

procharger...... bigtimeauto runs one and is way faster than metalstorm and hits roots by like 2 seconds.....
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 04:44 PM

Which procharger for a hemi in the 540 to 572 size???? Or would it be better to go a little smaller ci with a big procharger. What would be best for a reliable 850 to 1000 hp engine???
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 04:49 PM

depends what kinda power you are looking for, with a 540 or 572 you could prly make 1000hp with a small d-series procharger, I personally like all there f-series blowers and would recommend an f-2 just so you have room to grow (since you know you'll want more)
Posted By: dizuster

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 05:49 PM

Quote:

procharger...... bigtimeauto runs one and is way faster than metalstorm and hits roots by like 2 seconds.....

Well fuel cars have roots, and they are like 4 seconds faster then bigtimeauto...So roots must be better.

Come on seriously?...

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well fuel cars have roots, and they are like 4 seconds faster then bigtimeauto...So roots must be better.

Come on seriously?...

Well I was taking it this was a street car type question...... and isnt the fuel cars way bigger..... seriously?
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on seriously?...

Posted By: Dodgem

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 06:30 PM

Well my understanding too is the roots takes a lot of power to spin, is less efficent while creating more heat. 3 strikes but gets a couple back for the coolness factor??

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 06:38 PM

I choose a procharger cause they fit under a hood.... here in PA roost wont pass inspection.... plus they are cooler
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Come on seriously?...

it made me laugh also.i only put 12 lbs in mine not 23# and only have 446 cubes and 3900lbs not 2800 or so of the other person.just so you can play with the #'s.i dont care who is better or anything! it is what it is and i have fun.
Posted By: tilt

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 07:45 PM

I think it comes down to mass.Roots have the 2 big rotors, that take more torque to spin.The fact that they create more heat is due in part to the surface area of the rotors.

Prochargers are spinning some cogs as do the Roots, but they're only spinning a turbine wheel to charge the air not a couple of 18" rotors.

Procharger all the way, right behind Turbo's
Posted By: 506RR

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 08:15 PM

Quote:

Wow! Don't take any advice from this guy concerning superchargers. That is funny!

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 08:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow! Don't take any advice from this guy concerning superchargers. That is funny!

this is benchracing
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 09:36 PM

roots are just too dam cool!!!
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 09:41 PM

Becnh racing don't need no FACTS, but here you go
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=5
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 10:16 PM

I would just go with a screw

Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 11:07 PM

I'm gonna lie and say I dont care about the power but I'm gonna bust if I dont get to try this thing out next year!!...

Attached picture 5591796-IMG_7673_2.JPG

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/07/09 11:17 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna lie and say I dont care about the power but I'm gonna bust if I dont get to try this thing out next year!!...

think about 900ft lbs at 3,000 rpm.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 12:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this is benchracing

So...in benchracing, one type of blower is better because the car is 2 seconds faster regardless of vehicle weight, boost, engine size, head design, etc? No offense....that sounds like what I hear when most ricers talk about their 18 second cars...a bunch of nonsense.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 12:30 AM

I think they both can make good power under the right circumstances. The roots look however is very cool.

I think the show car crowd has tarnished the roots blower for me. To many 12 second roots blown cars with spare tire sized blower pulleys lol.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 12:42 AM

Well on an old 392 hemi I would have to have a roots 8-71. On a modern hemi, a centrifugal seems right. On a small block or Viper, twin turbos seems right. They all make gobs of horsepower, so it's whatever floats your boat, right?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 01:05 AM

Quote:

Here is your winner .....

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OH SURE take the obvious.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 01:16 AM

Quote:

+1 but im kind of biased.
Posted By: 506RR

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 01:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this is benchracing

So...in benchracing, one type of blower is better because the car is 2 seconds faster regardless of vehicle weight, boost, engine size, head design, etc? No offense....that sounds like what I hear when most ricers talk about their 18 second cars...a bunch of nonsense.

As said, don't listen to anything he has to say about superchargers!
Posted By: 62SAVOY

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 02:42 AM

Mopar Muscle has a writeup this month on this. Finally put mine on a few months back. I went with a BDS because of the low and mid range it produces. The feel off the line is it for me. If you never go to the track? Where will you be able to actually take advantage of a centrifugal one safely? They said the centrifugal ones work good in street cars especially ones that are traction limited because boost builds gradually. Traction is what I will deal with if need be. Right now it SEEMS ok? Once I drive it more we will see and push on it more. Traction was good with previous setup.
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OH SURE take the obvious.

Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:20 AM

WOW, tons of misinformation here i'm flattered!

Just buy what you want....... but there is no way a 6 0r 8/71 roots with carbs on gas will drive around a procharger on gas. Now a roots injected on alky well thats a whole different story.(so is that C rotor screw)

My street car:

3150lbs
NO intercooler
cheap Blow thru single 4150 carb
can drive it anywhere, we took it to lunch and a ride today as a matter of fact.
......it still has not made a full power pass yet

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:31 AM

Quote:

WOW, tons of misinformation here i'm flattered!

Just buy what you want....... but there is no way a 6 0r 8/71 roots with carbs on gas will drive around a procharger on gas. Now a roots injected on alky well thats a whole different story.(so is that C rotor screw)

My street car:

3150lbs
NO intercooler
cheap Blow thru single 4150 carb
can drive it anywhere, we took it to lunch and a ride today as a matter of fact.
......it still has not made a full power pass yet

I didn't mean that roots is bettr...I was just questioning the logic of his question.

Big time...how much compression? Race gas? pump? How is drivability with the blow though? I've always wanted to do that....

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:34 AM

Now on topic:

Roots on the street Pros:
positive displacement
great car show appeal
great WOW appeal driving down the road
cons:
Heavy
needs two carbs or ...
can't see past it with carbs and air filters
can't use a air to air intercooler
is way high and atrracts the wrong kind of attention
can only run low boost on pump fuel because of all of the heat it makes

Procharger on the street pro's:
no hood issues.
only need one 4150 carb
the cops can't see it
builds less heat
lighter than a roots
easier to package
can use your existing intake
intercooling does not impact your vision
can use a air to air intercooler
Cons:
hmmm none i can think of

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:38 AM

Quote:

I didn't mean that roots is bettr...I was just questioning the logic of his question.
Big time...how much compression? Race gas? pump? How is drivability with the blow though? I've always wanted to do that....

9:1
race or pump i adjust accordingly
great driveability (and i'm a DFI guy)
Heads are out of the box indy 440-1
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:44 AM

Quote:

depends what kinda power you are looking for, with a 540 or 572 you could prly make 1000hp with a small d-series procharger, I personally like all there f-series blowers and would recommend an f-2 just so you have room to grow (since you know you'll want more)

I would agree. Stig Jr made just over 1000 hp with a D1X
The F2 is real nice and efficient design.

I am going to run the D1X on a wedge

Attached picture 5592332-prochargerr.jpg

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:55 AM

Quote:

Now on topic:

positive displacement
great car show appeal
cons:
Heavy
needs two carbs or ...

no hood issues.
only need one 4150 carb
the cops can't see it
builds less heat
lighter than a roots
easier to package
Cons:
hmmm none i can think of

how much does the procharger complete weigh?
you are right i cant see past my blower.
a plus for me is a stock carb[s] will do.not boost referenced[race only]
my blower weighs 70lbs
intercooler 40+5 gall of water 40+lbs

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 09:50 AM

Quote:

Now on topic:

positive displacement
great car show appeal
cons:
Heavy
needs two carbs or ...

no hood issues.
only need one 4150 carb
the cops can't see it
builds less heat
lighter than a roots
easier to package
Cons:
hmmm none i can think of

This is EXACTLY why for me..... Whats funny is some of you guys instantly think of fuel blowers for comparison... I seen way too many 11-12 second big blower cars and that just not for me is all.... Remember Denny Turza's or whatever his name was that ran Drag Week with the Big Roots Blown camaro.... He was out of competition like 10 miles after starting the event and WON the next year with a pro charger driving 1200 miles
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/08/09 12:28 PM

Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 02:12 PM

There is something absolutely feral about a Roots blower sticking up through the bonnet.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:32 PM

Quote:

how much does the procharger complete weigh?
you are right i cant see past my blower.
a plus for me is a stock carb[s] will do.not boost referenced[race only]
my blower weighs 70lbs
intercooler 40+5 gall of water 40+lbs

My D1X procharger weights 22.5 lbs but that is without much oil in it,
My intercooler (including BOV) 31x 12 x 3.5 and weights in at 26.5 lbs

About 50lbs all together

Attached picture 5592820-IMG_0571.JPG

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 03:51 PM

dont forget about the brackets maybe about 15lbs.
then there is the weight of my rotors to turn and nose,that has got to be 35lbs.you can see some of the packaging advantages.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 06:03 PM

Roots is tough to intercool that's for sure.

Instant throttle response, and low-mid range torque though.

Procharger is down on boost at low-mid range, but a loose converter can usually overcome most of it.

As for reliability, my Dad's small block has had the same used roots, which was bought out of the "for sale" section in the newspaper, since 1985.

They both have their advantages and disadvantages though. It really depends on the application.

To add to the list.

Roots-
Low end torque like you've never felt in your life.

Procharger-
Limited low-mid range boost (which can be a good thing in a small tire car)

Serp. belt problems.
Expensive.

Cost is debatable though depending on power level but...

8-71 will move 2000cfm at 6,000 RPM. 8-71 kits are ~$3700 for blower/intake/pulley's etc. Then +carbs.

2000 cfm is equal to an F1-R? F1-R/F2 kits no intercooler, but with a carb and blowoff valve are around $6,000~$6500 I'm sure I can buy carbs for less then the difference. And at that point you're not intercooled on the pro-charged system anyway, so the gains aren't that huge.

But I agree, for an octane limited gasoline motor, you can't touch a procharger for HP... except with a turbo of course...
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 06:46 PM

I have built two root style 440's. The first one in '85 had a 6-71 Mooneyham 1 to 1 with teflon strips and two 750's and 8.5 to 1 trw's. The second was in '99 and had a BDS street blower with BDS EFI and bugcatcher injector hat.It had 7.5 to 1 wiseco's and was 10% overdriven. The carb setup with teflon stripped rotors made a lot more power. That motor had stock rods,906 heads that I ported and a purple shaft cam with stamped steel rockers. In a 4200 pound 69 Coronet 4 speed it ran 10.20 at 135 in 1985.

I said all that to say if you do an 8-71 get the rotors stripped for better clearances and sealing for more boost. The build I am contemplating now is a twin turbo setup for the streeability.

It is hard to beat the looks of a 6-71 with a bug catcher on the street. This was my '65 on the cover of Car Craft January 2000. It wasn't as fast as my first but was way better looking imo.Lost it in a divorce

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 08:45 PM

my A/W intercooler was 1800$+ pump 3 gall cell and hosses,fittings came to 2200$

Attached picture 5593238-Aug03$06.JPG
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 11:23 PM

How tall is that? Indy sells their complete polished 8-71 with teflon I think, less carbs and pop off valve for 4650.00

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/08/09 11:47 PM

Quote:

How tall is that? Indy sells their complete polished 8-71 with teflon I think, less carbs and pop off valve for 4650.00

the intercooler is 4" and with the blower to the carb base is 11".i got my blower thru a dealer and got a better price,1800 stripped blower polished.[nickerson performance in PA]

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 12:34 AM

I got a smokin deal on my blower,intake and throttle linkage (BDS 8-71)and I just bought the carbs from Big Al's toybox.Boost referenced 750's including the spacers and the fuel lines.I am now lacking pushrods and a bunck of the small little trinkets but I'm getting closer.

Attached picture 5593738-IMG_3625.JPG

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 12:44 AM

looking good but dont you want bigger carbs?

Attached picture 5593772-DSCF7066-1.jpg
Posted By: hemidup

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 12:48 AM

Procharger gets my vote. I have a 3800 stall converter with 3.92 gears and leave the line at 9 psi of boost. There isn't much lag with that setup. I shift at 6200 rpm and at shift recovery, I'm still at 12 psi.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 12:55 AM

Quote:

Procharger is down on boost at low-mid range, but a loose converter can usually overcome most of it.

Roots-

Procharger-

so you think that a roots style blower comes off idle with maximum boost? Its the same concept a procharger uses, the faster it spins the more air that it passes which in turn creates more boost. I take it you have never riden in a procharged car? I will let you all argue amongst with "all your roots/procharger knowledge" but at the end of the day boost=force fed (there all the same) different strokes for different folks.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 01:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Roots-

Procharger-

so you think that a roots style blower comes off idle with maximum boost? Its the same concept a procharger uses, the faster it spins the more air that it passes which in turn creates more boost. I take it you have never riden in a procharged car? I will let you all argue amongst with "all your roots/procharger knowledge" but at the end of the day boost=force fed (there all the same) different strokes for different folks.

ok maybe you could answer a q.i am at 10% UD with 12 lbs and can got to 30% maybe making 20lbs how does that cpmpare to the procharger %'s? if you can see what i am getting at.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 01:14 AM

i can tell that on my setup a 70 tooth lower and 58 tooth upper "should" make right around 15lbs (it will vary obviously) what ud % is i have no idea how all that works out

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 01:19 AM

Quote:

i can tell that on my setup a 70 tooth lower and 58 tooth upper "should" make right around 15lbs (it will vary obviously) what ud % is i have no idea how all that works out

well with the internal gearing of the charger what is the max rpm?[OD for the charger for your rpm]

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

well with the internal gearing of the charger what is the max rpm?[OD for the charger for your rpm]

the ratio is 5.4:1 and is rated to spin 65,000 rpm (impeller speed) F-2 procharger

Quote:

Not from my experience with a Roots. When I owned my Duster, I could be cruising down the road at 2,500 rpm, stomp the pedal and get max boost, instantly. Same thing from a dead stop and nailing it. A Roots doesn't need rpm to make boost, it needs those throttle blades opened up.

a procharger works the same way, when the throttle blades open the bypass valve closes

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 01:58 AM

the ratio is 5.4:1 and is rated to spin 65,000 rpm (impeller speed) F-2 procharger

so you can OD that to 58% if you shift at 7,000
i think.i will check the math again.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.p...wvH2ky4NXKqM0Rw

38lbs and 2700cfm

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 09:05 PM

with the procharger you have a much larger range of use and boost.the roots is more limited.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 09:54 PM

Quote:

Well I was thinking that too but I figured since this is a street car,small cammed 906 headed motor that the 850 may be overkill.I am not putting a cage in this car and will not be racing it a lot (Happy DAd?)so Big Al said the 750's would be the best bet. I hope I wont end up sorry about that choice.

Attached picture 5595440-IMG_3613.JPG

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:07 PM

Quote:

so you can OD that to 58% if you shift at 7,000
i think.i will check the math again.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.p...wvH2ky4NXKqM0Rw

38lbs and 2700cfm

With a F series Procharger, you can get a step up ratio as high as 6.24:1

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well I was thinking that too but I figured since this is a street car,small cammed 906 headed motor that the 850 may be overkill.I am not putting a cage in this car and will not be racing it a lot (Happy DAd?)so Big Al said the 750's would be the best bet. I hope I wont end up sorry about that choice.

nothing wrong with all that. i have 346 ported heads and did well with .559 lift solid cam
850 carbs and 3%OD got me 8lbs and 10.46/129 ET with no intercooler.i have always ran 110 sunoco to help it be more forgiving.i am sure it could have ran on mid 90's octane with the 34* timing.i ran out of carb at that point though.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

nothing wrong with all that. i have 346 ported heads and did well with .559 lift solid cam
850 carbs and 3%OD got me 8lbs and 10.46/129 ET with no intercooler.i have always ran 110 sunoco to help it be more forgiving.i am sure it could have ran on mid 90's octane with the 34* timing.i ran out of carb at that point though.

Well I have a Scott Brown solid blower grind at .550 lift,dad ported the 906's so I guess I will just have to wait and see. What a learning curve this will be,never had anything quite like this to deal with,but always wanted a blower motor.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:17 PM

I only run 18* or 24* max if i want to get after it. whats up with that 34*?

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:21 PM

Quote:

i lost too much HP with less.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:28 PM

Roots on e85, anyone?

The ethanol noticeably cools the intake charge, at least my buddys roots case "feels" considerably cooler to the touch...I can't seem to find anyone who knows exactly what the difference is in charge cooling between gas and e85.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:33 PM

i would have to believe the e85 will be better than pump gas

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What is your initial * and how much do you pull out per pound of boost?

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:35 PM

me? 36* digital 7
Posted By: 62SAVOY

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

Here is what my instructions say that came with it:

Timing: Mechanical advance distributor recommended! 16-22 degrees initial crank timing with total of 32-36 degrees all in by 2500 rpm. These timing recommendations are suggested for a low compression, street driven engine running on premium, 92 octane, leaded or unleaded pump gas.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is what my instructions say that came with it:

Timing: Mechanical advance distributor recommended! 16-22 degrees initial crank timing with total of 32-36 degrees all in by 2500 rpm. These timing recommendations are suggested for a low compression, street driven engine running on premium, 92 octane, leaded or unleaded pump gas.

with boost?

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:41 PM

Quote:

me? 36* digital 7

No.. metal storm, just curious is all.
I run 38* initial and have the BS3 pull back to 20* at 15 psi under load.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

me? 36* digital 7

I run 38* initial and have the BS3 pull back to 20* at 15 psi under load.

thats ok formaking power but for drag racing you need more flexability ie,starting line retard

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:51 PM

My lastest and best 11.08 pass was with 18*s of timing at wot. No intercooler or aftercooler, just using W/M for now. I'd like to bump the timing to 21*s and put this fat azz truck of mine into the 10's.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:53 PM

Pulling the power back in essence with digital box for traction.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 10:56 PM

Quote:

correct, i leave on 4* and ramp to the 18* in 2.5 sec.true 10.5 tire

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hang on for the ride after the 2 sec mark.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

been 174 so far

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

been 174 so far

Ya Daddy !

Not to highjack the thread but it looks like the FI system i have can do the timing pullback.

Attached picture 5595631-timingmap.JPG

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:14 PM

cool,that and a boost controller and your good. unless thats built in also

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:17 PM

It has that capability just need the solinoids from a Gran National or turbo T/A.

Attached picture 5595649-boost.JPG

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i used 16 at idle and 34*in at 2K,no boost retard.i put a roller in it and dyno'd it[video in sig]but with only 30* locked.no problems starting at all.7AL-2.i had 10%OD on the blower.with bigger carbs now i run 10%UD and went 3mph faster,.25 quicker.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i used 16 at idle and 34*in at 2K,no boost retard.i put a roller in it and dyno'd it[video in sig]but with only 30* locked.no problems starting at all.7AL-2.i had 10%OD on the blower.with bigger carbs now i run 10%UD and went 3mph faster,.25 quicker.

Have you tried a BTM box??
Just curious to see if it picks up even more.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/09/09 11:38 PM

no but i have a 3 step retarder in the box on the shelf.i put the timing at 30* to help the stock main caps live.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/11/09 01:23 AM

any of you use a A/W intercooler,i need info on a pump for mine.i have a bilg pump and wondered if the rule would work better.[3700gph.]

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/11/09 10:52 PM

Quote:

so you think that a roots style blower comes off idle with maximum boost? It’s the same concept a procharger uses, the faster it spins the more air that it passes which in turn creates more boost.

With a comment like that, you obviously have no idea how either of these blowers work.

They don't make boost the same way at all.

A roots blower is positive displacement, a procharger is not. That means the roots moves the same amount of air, per revolution, regardless of RPM. A 6-71 blower was originally built for a 6 cylinder diesel, with 71 cubic inches per cylinder. 6 x 71 = 426 cubic inches. So when the rotor turns, it captures 426 cubic inches of air, and moves it from the carb to the intake. Small dynamic efficiency differences aside, it moves the same amount of air at 1,000 RPM as it does at 10,000 per revolution. At one to one, take a 340 motor. Every revolution, the motor uses 340 cubic inches of air (at 100% VE), but the blower is providing 426 cubic inches of air. The difference is seen as boost.

A procharger, simply put, is a fan hooked to a belt. Basically, it's no different then your household fan. Low RPM doesn't move much air. And the higher you spin it, the more air it moves.

It's easy to see then how at low RPM, the procharger doesn't make move the air the roots does.

Quote:

I take it you have never ridden in a procharged car?

Roots style do come off idle at instant boost (for the reasons above). Yes I've ridden in several of both roots and procharged cars, and they don't have near the off idle torque that a roots blower car has.

Quote:

I will let you all argue amongst with "all your roots/procharger knowledge" but at the end of the day boost=force fed (there all the same) different strokes for different folks.

They're not "all the same" either. Different blowers/turbos at 15psi will make different power because of the compression efficency. 15psi on a roots won't make the same power as 15psi on a procharger...

I'm not arguing with anyone, just trying to share knowledge and experiences.

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/11/09 11:37 PM

with the unstripped roots having about .010 clearance rotor to case i would think the procharger would be close to the same so when the barings start to go it wont hit the housing.
Posted By: Bakaruda432

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/12/09 09:19 PM

I know they say a Roots blower is at most 50-75% efficient and a Centrifugal is more.

Wouldn't E-85's Ethanol component cool down the air charge as much or more than an air to air intercooler,especially when combined with water injection?

Re: BENCH RACING: 8-71 V.S. Procharger? - 11/13/09 01:13 AM

Quote:

I know they say a Roots blower is at most 50-75% efficient and a Centrifugal is more.

Wouldn't E-85's Ethanol component cool down the air charge as much or more than an air to air intercooler,especially when combined with water injection?

the water inj works great.i just dont trust my install of it.that is why i got the intercooler.i tried a snow kit for 3 races though.
© 2024 Moparts Forums