Moparts

Spark plug wires. What's overkill??

Posted By: MoparDonny

Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 02:52 AM

I've run a few different sets of wires on different vehicles but never notice any change in performance or driveability. I have a new 451 in my car now and was thinking of putting on some 8mm or 8.5mm wires on, but can you waste your money by getting something you don't need. Right now I have stock electronic ignition (MP stuff) and the stock replacement 7mm Chrysler wires with a Blaster2 coil and MSD 8.5 Super Conductor coil wire.
My Dad runs FBO stuff and Solid core MP 8mm wires and he's had no problems.
Anything in particular I should stay away from or lean towards for that matter??

Don.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 02:57 AM

Sparky to the White courtesy phone please.

Sparky to the White courtesy phone.

Where you at Rick
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 03:02 AM

Untill he shows up
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 02:21 PM

Thanks Bill. Don, please allow me to give you a link for our FireCore50 Ignition Wire website. Our wires are on some of the quickest vehicles on this site, nicest show cars on this site, and coolest customers in the world. Please check out www.customwiresets.com I think you will be pleased by the Trophy Room, and more importantly, impressed on our workmanship and quality that goes into our 100% American made performance ignition wire sets.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 02:32 PM

I'm using the Firecore 50's been very happy with them and the service i received

Post deleted by Defbob - 11/02/09 02:42 PM

Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 04:00 PM

Donny, I see several responses, but no one answered your question.. So I will give my opinion..

If you can get optimal, efficient, 100% max power from a set of Walmart wires, then in my opinion, anything more expensive would be a waste of money..

However, I used to be the type of guy that would look at the prices when shopping for wire and buy the most expensive wire I could... They always say, you get what you pay for... so I should be getting a good set of wires.. right?

Well, thats not so true.. With these expensive wires, I developed a slight miss and couldnt for the life of me, figure out what was causing it.. Long story short, I changed out to the FIRECORE wires and not only did my miss go away, but the car actually picked up a little in ET..

IMO... buy the FIRECORE and dont look back..
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 04:17 PM

I've got Firecore's on my 636ci and im very happy with them!!
Posted By: ben1692

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/02/09 11:30 PM

msd out of the box same set 2 years next year will be 3 work great any wire low ohms per foot will work fine just check wires every so often with a meter to ensure they are in specs dont waste money on useless items
Posted By: MOPARCHAS

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 12:21 AM

use Firecore wires are stay on the porch

Attached picture 5582621-MoparChas70Chally-1.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 12:30 AM

I have been running the MSD 8.0 helicore wires for years and been happy. If you don't burn them against headers and keep oil off them, they will last.

I even put a new set on when I started running alky at the beginning of this year, because everyone said you need a good ignition system with alky. Worked great.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 12:49 AM

I have the Firecore 8.5mm...very nice stuff and worth it...

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 12:50 AM

Quote:

I have been running the MSD 8.0 helicore wires for years and been happy. If you don't burn them against headers and keep oil off them, they will last.

I even put a new set on when I started running alky at the beginning of this year, because everyone said you need a good ignition system with alky. Worked great.

msd's i got at amazon.com for $40.00
a great set of wires.going low 9's

Attached picture 5582690-HEMIREUNION69HEMIRR65DODGECORONET1265.JPG
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 01:04 AM

I've got MSD 8.5s on everything I own now I think, but I want to try the Firecores next build too, great feedback and a nice looking wire IMO.
Posted By: Dap

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 01:05 AM

I am running the same MSD wires for the past 5 years. The car still performs the same as it always has.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 01:18 AM

Ultra 40's on my car for the past 4 years, 500+ passes, thousands of street miles, and the car sits outside 365 days a year. If its not broke, don't fix it
Posted By: ben1692

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 03:34 AM

what has fire core done for you lately?
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 03:49 AM

I was going to get a set of 12" LS1 FireCore50 wires for my build
but for the price I was quoted I could get a Ultra40 set AND a MSD Super 8.5mm set

the testing differences of a few horsepower and torque
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
are not enough to sway me to pay such a price difference for a consumable part
Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 04:10 AM

I have the firecores too. My dyno results proved that they made more power and torque.
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 04:49 AM

I run MSD 8.5's on all of my cars, street and strip, without a problem. They are the only wire I even consider anymore.
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 08:47 AM

see my sig.....

Posted By: BobR

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 02:38 PM

OK Sunroof. You are on the spot now. We've used 3 sets of wires this year because we don't like the way they snap onto the plug. So...I finally got Doug to order a set of your's. I think we have them on the car now. We'll see!
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/03/09 03:03 PM

Here's my Firecore story ; i have a set of the 8.5mm pro-fit wires on my car earlier this year and started to notice a slight miss at high rpm. Upon closer inspection i found one wire (#2) laying right across the header tube. Pulled it back and it was burned right to the core....all insulation was GONE ! That explained the high rpm miss !

Taped it up, rerouted the wire and all was well again....miss was gone & the plug cleaned right up. I measured the resistance and it was still 104 ohms...amazing.

At Norwalk i showed Rick the wire and he replaced it for me...no charge.

Ron
Posted By: MoparDonny

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/04/09 01:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I will be in contact with Rick about a set.

Don.

Attached picture 5585160-IMG_2553small.JPG
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/04/09 01:57 AM

FireCore's...

Posted By: AndyF

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/04/09 03:46 AM

Got some new stuff from Rick the other day. Check out these Hemi style boots! A set of these would work great for situations where clearance is too tight to get a good grip on the boot.

Attached picture 5585423-boot.jpg
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Spark plug wires. What's overkill?? - 11/04/09 04:16 AM

Thanks , Andy. We call it our ProMod Boot. Looks killer and works better on these! Thanks, Don. We have a dealer in Oregon. Shipping wouldn't be too bad from his shop. Let me know. I'll hook you up! Thanks for the opportunity.

© 2024 Moparts Forums