B. stop the fuel to the idle circuit
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 09:41 PM

A
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 09:52 PM

Quote:

A

All it controls is air...you know this Tony, this a trick question?..
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 09:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A

All it controls is air...you know this Tony, this a trick question?..

no
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:06 PM

should do both..the air being pull though the air bleed pull fuel out also. no air flow ,no fuel flow
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/28/09 10:06 PM

Posted By: dartman366

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:21 PM

The smaller the bleed the richer the circut, the larger the bleed the leaner the circut,, in my opinion if one is plugged it will go dead rich.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:22 PM

Quote:

The smaller the bleed the richer the circut, the larger the bleed the leaner the circut,, in my opinion if one is plugged it will go dead rich.

how would it pull fuel with no air?
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:28 PM

The idle passage is a slot just below the throttle plates when closed. Engine vacuum pulls fuel through the idle fuel restriction then the air bleed mixes air. The air bleed will mix air with the fuel so it is not "solid". Same with the hi speed bleed with fuel being pulled up the main well.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:30 PM

Quote:

The idle passage is a slot just below the throttle plates when closed. Engine vacuum pulls fuel through the idle fuel restriction then the air bleed mixes air. The air bleed will mix air with the fuel so it is not "solid". Same with the hi speed bleed with fuel being pulled up the main well.

so your saying it will pull fuel reguardless if the bleed is clogged or not?

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:33 PM

Yes, but it will not be pre-mixed with air. It will idle rich.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:35 PM

Quote:

well I am running into just the oppisite problem. it is way lean on tip in and I found 2 rear bleeds completely clogged.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The venture still is operational, it dont care if there is another hole or not..The Restriction speeds the air up threw the venture cause a low pressure area in "said area"
Coarse Im no guru.
In other words the air, and fuel idle or high speed circuits are just that diff circuits.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:39 PM

Yep. Carbs work on differences in pressure. The air pressure on the top of the fuel is higher than the pressure (vacuum) below the throttle plates. This will pull fuel into the motor through the idle circuit when running.
The main circuit outlet is in the venturi, so it needs the air bleed to stop the flow. Otherwise, it will siphon all the time after the first flow is started, if the outlet is lower than the fuel level in the bowl.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The bleed is to air as the jet is to fuel, as bleed size is increased the air fuel ratio become's leaner, as the bleed is decreased it become's richer , so if it were plugged it would pull pure fuel as opposed to air emulsed fuel.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:44 PM

The idle bleeds are towards the outside, the hi speed are close to the squirter. The idles' should have a larger hole than the hi speed.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

well I am running into just the oppisite problem. it is way lean on tip in and I found 2 rear bleeds completely clogged.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0507_carb_tuning_tips_tricks/photo_12.html

Tip in is
1. Idle circuit. If this is fine at idle, this is not the cause.
2. Transfer port. This is checked by holding the throttle open slightly (idle + 200 RPM) to see if it's lean there. Most 70s-up stock carbs are a bit lean here.
3. Accelerator circuit. This will show up at any RPM, but be more noticable at low RPM. Do you have issues at say 30 MPH?
4. Main circuit. This should start to work at ~1400 RPM. You can see this by looking down the throat. WARNING! lean pop may catch you in the face!
5. Power circuit. When it's a quick tip in, the vacuum drops enough to open the power circuit. If it is needed but does not work, this will also be a flat spot.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 10:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tip in is
1. Idle circuit. If this is fine at idle, this is not the cause.
2. Transfer port. This is checked by holding the throttle open slightly (idle + 200 RPM) to see if it's lean there. Most 70s-up stock carbs are a bit lean here.
3. Accelerator circuit. This will show up at any RPM, but be more noticable at low RPM. Do you have issues at say 30 MPH?
4. Main circuit. This should start to work at ~1400 RPM. You can see this by looking down the throat. WARNING! lean pop may catch you in the face!
5. Power circuit. When it's a quick tip in, the vacuum drops enough to open the power circuit. If it is needed but does not work, this will also be a flat spot.

this is a 3 circuit dominator I am talking about.

http://holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R9786-2.pdf

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/28/09 11:22 PM

interesting topic, does anybody know what stock air bleeds comes on a 8896-2 dominator? I cant find it on holley's site
Posted By: CokeBottleKid

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 09:47 AM

it will still flow fuel and it will be rich'er' at certain flow-rates...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 11:29 AM

Quote:

what will a clogged idle air bleed do?

A. make the idle circuit rich

What are your idle mixture screws doing?
Posted By: ToddP

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 12:32 PM

In order for the idle/transfer slot circuit to start it needs air.

As an experiment, with the engine at idle, cover as many idle air bleeds with your fingers.

What happens?

Does the engine die because of lack of air?
lack of fuel?

The air bleed regardless of circuit,( idle/transfer slot, intermediate, or main well-booster) follows two rules.

smaller- circuit starts slower ie time delay if you will. once it starts it keeps getting richer.

larger- circuit starts quicker ie time delay is shorter. once it starts it tends to lean out.

all these things happen on some sort of a curve.

Air is needed to properly start the flow.

My anwser is B.

My on tuning range for idle/transfer slot circuit

ifr-.030" to .040"
iab- .050" to .070"

also a jet in the main body for the transfer slot works well
slot jet .070" -.104"
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 02:50 PM

put your finger on the end of a straw that has water in it. what happens

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 03:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what will a clogged idle air bleed do?

A. make the idle circuit rich

What are your idle mixture screws doing?

they just set there until I turn them they are out 2 turns

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 03:11 PM

Quote:

is the air bleed the only place it can draw air?
Posted By: TS3303

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 03:22 PM

Air Bleed Specifications
4150 HP and 4500 DOMINATOR HP
LIST NO. Idle Int High
R7320-1 53 N/A 28
R8082-2 71 N/A 37
R8896-1 53 63 40
R9375 39 N/A 25
R9375-1 53 63 34
R9377-1 40 61 28
R75010 40 61 33
R75011 49 61 28
R80186-1 73 N/A 36
R80340-1 71 N/A 34
R80496 72 N/A 32
R80496-1 74 N/A 32
R80498 55 N/A 30
R80507 73 N/A OPEN CHANNEL
R80509 72 N/A 32
R80511 73 N/A 33
R80513 75 N/A 25
R80514 73 N/A 32
R80528-1 75 N/A 36
R80529-1 72 N/A 32
R80532 51 61 28
R80533 53 65 36
R80535-1 61 N/A 31
R80540 74 N/A 45
R80541 72 N/A 45
R80542 59 N/A 33
R80556 51 59 31
R80586 28 54 28
R80672 59 51 32
R80673 59 51 31
R80674 72 N/A 45
R80675 75 N/A 36
R80676 68 N/A 32
R80785 72 N/A 32
R82750 75 (primary) N/A 25
28 (secondary) N/A 36
AIR BLEEDS

http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Air%20Bleed%20Specifications.pdf
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

why don't you clean the bleeds, then snap the throttle?

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 09:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will once I have a chance to take the carb apart and blow everything out actually it was the main bleeds that were clogged but it doesn't matter, I was just curious to see what people think about the fuel flow with a clog.

I myself lean to the side of it either slowing the fuel flow of the circuit or stopping it totally. I posted this hoping one of the carb guru's the frequent the board would chime in. but I guess thats not going to happen guess you have to use their products to get any info. really tells me a lot about why they are on the board. I respect everyones opinion but I would really like to know what effect it has on a circuit. seems everyone is kind of divided on the issue.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will once I have a chance to take the carb apart and blow everything out actually it was the main bleeds that were clogged but it doesn't matter, I was just curious to see what people think about the fuel flow with a clog.

I myself lean to the side of it either slowing the fuel flow of the circuit or stopping it totally. I posted this hoping one of the carb guru's the frequent the board would chime in. but I guess thats not going to happen guess you have to use their products to get any info. really tells me a lot about why they are on the board. I respect everyones opinion but I would really like to know what effect it has on a circuit. seems everyone is kind of divided on the issue.

well let's keep it bumped to the top and maybe they will eventually see it.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 10:36 PM

Quote:

That's not how they work.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

well let's keep it bumped to the top and maybe they will eventually see it.

believe me they have seen it

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 10:53 PM

all three circuits draw fuel from the bowl. the bowl is vented, so some air sould be able to enter but how much? and is it enough to move the fuel through the circuit?

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/29/09 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

wel draw us a pic and show us how it works
Posted By: Sport440

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/30/09 12:22 AM

Im no carb expert, But what little I do know about them is that the air bleeds are there to add air into the fuel mixture for better A/F atomization.

Your right the bowl is vented and that will allow the fuel to flow with clogged air bleeds.

The finger over the straw analogy doesnt relate, because our straw has three holes in it.

Dont worry, If Im wrong, the right answer will come shortly. Its always funner to point out that someones wrong then to give a correct answer in the first place mike

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/30/09 12:52 AM

Quote:

Im no carb expert, But what little I do know about them is that the air bleeds are there to add air into the fuel mixture for better A/F atomization.

Your right the bowl is vented and that will allow the fuel to flow with clogged air bleeds.

The finger over the straw analogy doesnt relate, because our straw has three holes in it.

Dont worry, If Im wrong, the right answer will come shortly. Its always funner to point out that someones wrong then to give a correct answer in the first place mike

sounds like a 3 sided question

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/30/09 02:31 AM

if you put your fingures over the IABs, the motor will die

the fuel is supplied by a well, not the fuel bowl itself

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/30/09 04:34 AM

Quote:

Sport hit it on the head, except the atomization... it's actually to modify the fuel delivery curve.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/30/09 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

wel draw us a pic and show us how it works

I included a picture of how they work in my post.

The main does require the bleed to work, idle does not. It's to mix air with fuel and to keep the fuel from siphoning (both) and to provide additional atmospheric pressure to get the main to flow.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/30/09 11:13 PM

niether do

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 12:06 AM

Quote:

niether do

just for you

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

niether do

just for you

thats pretty much what I thought. hard to dispute that? no air no fuel.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 05:46 AM

could also be lots of fuel...

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 06:05 AM

Just for you guys... a more respected source than carcraft... sorry for the blurryness.

Attached picture 5577642-airbleed.JPG

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 09:50 AM

Quote:

shouldn't you be able to see it? along with some black smoke?
Posted By: VanishPt

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 11:37 AM

idle fuel exits under the throttle blades

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 12:25 PM

Quote:

idle fuel exits under the throttle blades

I know but if it got rich enough to shut the motor off you would think you would see some black smoke. the other 2 circuits are not pulling any fuel with the blades closed so I guess it really doesn't matter if they are blocked at idle. I still think it shuts the fuel flow off when blocked.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 01:49 PM

Was the video posted to show that when you cover the idle air bleeds the motor dies?

If so what did that proove? Did the motor die because it was lean, or because it was rich?

If you really want to know, cover the idle air bleeds. When it starts to die, tap on the accelerator pump (squirting a little fuel). If the extra fuel saves it from stalling, that means it's lean. If the extra fuel from tapping on the accel. pump doesn't do anything, it's alredy rich.

This is how I fine tune idle air mixture adjustment too. RPM goes up with a tap, turn the screw out. RPM goes down with a tap, turn the screw in.

The idle air bleed is there to "lean out" the idle main well on the way to the idle mixture screw. By having a "leak" in the "straw" (idle main well) it's pulling on, it mixes air in with the fuel going to the idle air mixture screw adjustment. The reason that it needs this is because the quantiy of fuel needed to idle is very small. It would be very difficult if not impossible to regulate 100% fuel with the screw adjustment. By adding in a significant quantity of air, the mixture screw adjustment is a lot more forgiving.

To clarify... I'm using arbitrary numbers here just for example sake. Lets say the motor takes 1 gallon of fuel per hour to idle. (or 1gph)

Lets say 1 turn of the idle screw will flow 10gph
of fuel.

With 100% fuel (no idle air bleed) being delivered to the idle screw adjustment, you can see right away, that if 1 turn of screw can turn 10 times more fuel then is needed, then you'd be trying to adjust the screw by 1/10th of a turn to get it right! Much to fine of an adjustment...

Now take the case where you have an idle air bleed. Lets say the idle air bleed hole is big enough that most of the work being done by the vacuum is sucking air, and very little fuel. (lets say 90% air, 10% fuel).

Now you can see I still need 1gph of fuel to make it idle. One turn of screw can still flow 10gph of mixture. However now since the mixture being delivered to the back of the idle adjustment screw is so lean (remember only 10% fuel now), it takes much more of a screw turn to get that quantity of fuel in the engine. In this case, since you can flow 10gph with one full screw turn x 10% mixture, you end up with 1gph fuel in the engine. By doing it this way, the mixture screw can be much more finely adjusted.

Hope that makes sense!

LOL... by the way, the motor is rich. Try turning the idle mixture screws almost 100% in, and I bet it idles better...

Attached picture 5577861-mufp_0603_17z+carburetor+fuel_path.jpg

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 01:50 PM

Quote:

now it sounds like you grasping at straws

try putting your finger on the end of one of them

Posted By: ToddP

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 01:54 PM

The Dominator idle circuit is silightly different than the 4150 series in that..

1. Trasfer slot is not visable at curb idle below throttle blades. (not all models, but most dominators)

2. idle discharge port is larger than most 4150 carbs

Whith this in mind.

I believe most of the air supplied to the engine at curb idle follows this path.

vaccuum is at plenum of intake manifold (via starter turning engine over)

Air is pulled through the idle air bleed.
Down the idle/transfer discharge channel where it meets the intersection of the idle jet fuel well ( or the brass idle tube discharge) this is where the air/fuel velocities are very high. This intersection is about .5-.75" above the fuel level in the float bowl. pressure here is very low ( high vaccuum- much higher than the intake plenum vaccuum).

Fuel is pulled via high vaccuum through the ifr, where it begins to atomize.
This atomized mixture continues until it meets the idle mixture screw.From ther it enters the idle discharge port as a high velocity properly atomized air fuel mixture into the intake plenum.

Most of the curb idle air comes from the idle air bleed and not the slight opening of the throttle blades.

.....So does the engine die with the idle air bleed cloged because of lack of air? or lack of fuel? .......

For argument sake ( a dominator with the throttle blades completly closed, and the idle air bleed capped) I do believe a stream of fuel is pulled from the idle discharge port in a continuous stream of raw un atomized fuel into the intake plenum . however there is no air. engine will not run or start.Try to cheat and open throttle blades to add air and vaccuum signal drops off and no raw fuel delivery at idle discharge port.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:06 PM

Quote:

Was the video posted to show that when you cover the idle air bleeds the motor dies?

If so what did that proove? Did the motor die because it was lean, or because it was rich?

If you really want to know, cover the idle air bleeds. When it starts to die, tap on the accelerator pump (squirting a little fuel). If the extra fuel saves it from stalling, that means it's lean. If the extra fuel from tapping on the accel. pump doesn't do anything, it's alredy rich.

This is how I fine tune idle air mixture adjustment too. RPM goes up with a tap, turn the screw out. RPM goes down with a tap, turn the screw in.

The idle air bleed is there to "lean out" the idle main well on the way to the idle mixture screw. By having a "leak" in the "straw" (idle main well) it's pulling on, it mixes air in with the fuel going to the idle air mixture screw adjustment. The reason that it needs this is because the quantiy of fuel needed to idle is very small. It would be very difficult if not impossible to regulate 100% fuel with the screw adjustment. By adding in a significant quantity of air, the mixture screw adjustment is a lot more forgiving.

To clarify... I'm using arbitrary numbers here just for example sake. Lets say the motor takes 1 gallon of fuel per hour to idle. (or 1gph)

of fuel.

With 100% fuel (no idle air bleed) being delivered to the idle screw adjustment, you can see right away, that if 1 turn of screw can turn 10 times more fuel then is needed, then you'd be trying to adjust the screw by 1/10th of a turn to get it right! Much to fine of an adjustment...

Now take the case where you have an idle air bleed. Lets say the idle air bleed hole is big enough that most of the work being done by the vacuum is sucking air, and very little fuel. (lets say 90% air, 10% fuel).

Now you can see I still need 1gph of fuel to make it idle. One turn of screw can still flow 10gph of mixture. However now since the mixture being delivered to the back of the idle adjustment screw is so lean (remember only 10% fuel now), it takes much more of a screw turn to get that quantity of fuel in the engine. In this case, since you can flow 10gph with one full screw turn x 10% mixture, you end up with 1gph fuel in the engine. By doing it this way, the mixture screw can be much more finely adjusted.

Hope that makes sense!

LOL... by the way, the motor is rich. Try turning the idle mixture screws almost 100% in, and I bet it idles better...

the off idle ports in the pic, is the refering to the intermediate circuit?
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:26 PM

2 problems I see with that little video test
1 you used the idle circuit and Tony had the High air bleeds blocked 2 different circuits apples to oranges
2 no proof weather it died from to little or to much fuel.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:33 PM

Quote:

the off idle ports in the pic, is the refering to the intermediate circuit?

Yes it's the idle transfer slot on a holley.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:34 PM

Quote:

2 problems I see with that little video test
1 you used the idle circuit and Tony had the High air bleeds blocked 2 different circuits apples to oranges
2 no proof weather it died from to little or to much fuel.

everytime I feel confident we get another side guess we need a new movie with the pump shot test

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:36 PM

cure= clean the carb make sure everything is clear and go make a pass

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

cure= clean the carb make sure everything is clear and go make a pass

I still want to know

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:43 PM

Ray go make another test movie and tap the pump shot. have sombody look at the exhaust for smoke. and clean your garage while your at it.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:53 PM

Quote:

Ray go make another test movie and tap the pump shot. have sombody look at the exhaust for smoke. and clean your garage while your at it.

but you are still dealing with 2 different circuits idle circuit tells you nothing about how it will affect the High circuit when the carb is wide open.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

but you are still dealing with 2 different circuits idle circuit tells you nothing about how it will affect the High circuit when the carb is wide open.

I think we need a 1 circuit carb

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 02:56 PM

Quote:

i could go buy a new o2 sensor also and prove that fuel stops.

IMO, ToddP is the most knowledgeable carb guy we have on this site. go reread his posts. i just happen to agree with him

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i could go buy a new o2 sensor also and prove that fuel stops.

IMO, ToddP is the most knowledgeable carb guy we have on this site. go reread his posts. i just happen to agree with him

I am with you guys, that was my thinking all along

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 03:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not suggesting to rev the throttle. Just tap the accel pump to squirt some fuel. (no different then just using a squirt bottle.)

If it saves the motor from stalling, the extra fuel is what saved it (meaning it was lean)...

It's still on the idle circuit, just adding some fuel to see if it's lean/rich.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 06:53 PM

Quote:

of fuel.

Hope that makes sense!

my new best friend

We appreciate the real world testing six but it's a good thing holley doesn't engineer carbs this way "hmm you plugged up that port there so that means less fuel... so make dat bigger"

I will admit it's been a while since I've followed the idle fuel and air bleed ports in a holley metering block/main block but if it's anything like the diagrams posted it's clear if you block the idle port you'll have a natural pressure difference from the fuel bowl to the lower idle outlet.

ToddP also makes a good point that the restrictor sizes relative to eachother (air bleed and idle feed) are quite large and that a good amount of air could be supplied by the bleeds themselves. So not only are you supplying more fuel you're blocking off a possible sizeable amount of airflow.

In either case it's too much fuel, and like dizuster says tapping the accel pump is a good way to find out which.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 08:51 PM

Mud racing 101, take your torch tip cleaner and find the right size and shove it thru the idle air bleed several times, might as well do the high speed too wile your messin with it, We do this before we do any adjustments on the carb
Posted By: Curt

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 10/31/09 11:03 PM

Chiming in... a stopped up idle bleed will definately make the idle circuit rich. If the bleed is 100% stopped up it probably siphon the entire bowl empty after you shut it off. The same will happen with the main bleed except you will see the discharge port dripping after shut off untill the bowl is empty.
Got to go to a Movie now
Curt

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 11/06/09 02:34 AM

talked to Zach at quickfuel today, he said clogged air bleeds will make the circuit siphon the fuel right out of the bowl and make the circuit rich. so those of you who said that I think you were right.

he also said that it was common for combo's like mine (small cube large carb, intake and heads) to need very large squirters to over come a hesitation at the hit. he said the air speed would be so slow at tip in that it couldn't get enough fuel. last time out I din't have any smaller intermediate bleeds than 57s. since then I have drilled out some 45s which I have in it now and some 40s just in case that isn't enough. with the air bleeds unclogged and the new itermediate bleeds it sounds a lot better and I couldn't detect any hesitation. we will be going back out saturday to give it another shot.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 11/06/09 02:35 AM

Quote:

Chiming in... a stopped up idle bleed will definately make the idle circuit rich. If the bleed is 100% stopped up it probably siphon the entire bowl empty after you shut it off. The same will happen with the main bleed except you will see the discharge port dripping after shut off untill the bowl is empty.
Got to go to a Movie now
Curt

you were right Curt

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 11/06/09 03:54 AM

not the first time i've been wrong

cbk
Posted By: Sport440

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 11/06/09 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Got to go to a Movie now
Curt

you were right Curt

Yep, that seals the deal, the word siphon. The bleeds not only help to tune the circut and add air to atomize with the fuel. The bleeds are essential to shut the flow of the circut off after engine shut down. Via the Siphon effect, the bleeds are a multi purpose componet.

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 11/06/09 05:56 AM

Quote:

talked to Zach at quickfuel today, he said clogged air bleeds will make the circuit siphon the fuel right out of the bowl and make the circuit rich. so those of you who said that I think you were right.

he also said that it was common for combo's like mine (small cube large carb, intake and heads) to need very large squirters to over come a hesitation at the hit. he said the air speed would be so slow at tip in that it couldn't get enough fuel. last time out I din't have any smaller intermediate bleeds than 57s. since then I have drilled out some 45s which I have in it now and some 40s just in case that isn't enough. with the air bleeds unclogged and the new itermediate bleeds it sounds a lot better and I couldn't detect any hesitation. we will be going back out saturday to give it another shot.

some good info on this thread, mods should clean the tread up, and tech it in the archives.

I always wonder how this pump shot etc effects a car that leaves off the two step, and trans brake equipped cars were the throttle is floored.
Compared to when at or near idle having the extra accel pump shot all at once.
You would think in this case like Tony's car would NOT see much if any E/T diff foot braking or leaving off a trans brake..While I know I have had cars that picked up in short times off the brake.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: clogged idle air bleed - 11/06/09 03:10 PM

Just a note Of something I do..Is every two weeks I take carb cleaner and spray down all air bleeds while running..makes sure they are clean.
© 2024 Moparts Forums