Moparts

Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow

Posted By: Darrell

Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 01:11 AM

What ever happened to this car? I remember seeing it for sale some where on the net (racingjunk I think) about 6 to 8 years ago for 50k. It was in NY if I remember correctly.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 02:00 AM

IIRC, Paul Gentilozzi bought the car after Glidden went back to Ford.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/23/09 02:03 AM

Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 05:05 AM

Posted By: sixpackjeff

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 02:21 PM

Attached picture 5562025-PaulGjeffjohnson.jpg
Posted By: camdog440

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 02:38 PM

From July of this year...

And yet another from the G drawer. "Paul Gentilozzi’s old D/Gas Arrow is alive and well, and my father, Dennis Buckley, has been bracket racing the car for the last 12 years now," wrote Scott Buckley. "The little Plymouth has retained all of its original Wayne Farr chassis and red anodized tinwork but was updated with an early '80s grille and headlights by a previous owner. Paul Gentilozzi and Wayne Farr verified the authenticity of the car at a Trans Am Series race at Road America about eight years ago. Paul told us that he had the car constructed when he was the technical editor for Popular Hot Rodding magazine after doing an in-depth feature on Glidden’s Pro Stock Arrow. Paul was first in line to purchase Glidden’s car when Ford renewed Bob’s Pro Stock sponsorship, so he sold the red Arrow to a fellow Super Gas racer in Kentucky (after removing the manual trans and installing a Powerglide), and it eventually wound up in Nebraska, where my father purchased it 12 years ago. The old Arrow is still very consistent, and Dad won the Super Pro category at the Drag News Shootout a few years ago and also had a runner-up finish at the Fall Bracket Nationals. The old Plymouth Arrow is in the Madison, Wis., area now."

Posted By: bigdad

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 09:23 PM

That car was for time owned and raced by Chuck Rose , from South Sioux City , Nebraska
Posted By: LSP

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/23/09 10:00 PM

From Glidden, it directly went to Jerry Hurley, Sonny Ray drove it for him in Modified Eliminator for a few years.
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/24/09 01:10 AM

I don't know about Glidden's car but there is an orange arrow near my house that is really successful but the huy just never takes it out any more.Especially This sunday,what a shame...

Attached picture 5563329-darrell-budds-creek.jpg
Posted By: SSDA5006

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/24/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

I'll bet Reed knows

A few guys actually know where it's at now. I'd actually try www.racecarregistry.com, that's where all famous race cars are documented and shared to the general public.

LMAO,
Alex( In Iowa of Course)

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/24/09 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll bet Reed knows

A few guys actually know where it's at now. I'd actually try www.racecarregistry.com, that's where all famous race cars are documented and shared to the general public.

LMAO,
Alex( In Iowa of Course)

Alex, do you own the car in your avatar?
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 12:57 AM

I have seen many pictures of the arrow when jerry hurley owned it and sonny ray drove. jerry hurley also had a bad a$$ 70 hemi cuda ss/da
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 01:32 AM

Soooo, if I'm reading this right, Gentilozzi never owned the Glidden car, but had one built just like it?

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 02:39 AM

Quote:

Soooo, if I'm reading this right, Gentilozzi never owned the Glidden car, but had one built just like it?

Nope, he sold the one he had built for the Glidden car.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 11:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope, he sold the one he had built for the Glidden car.

Ok.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 05:50 PM

Quote:

As far as I know, Gentilozzi never owned the Glidden Arrow, but he did have the Landy Omni at one time.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As far as I know, Gentilozzi never owned the Glidden Arrow, but he did have the Landy Omni at one time.

Uh-oh. Now I'm confused again, but that's not unusual.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 09:30 PM

News to me about the Omni.

Attached picture 5566343-4813707-gentilozzi.jpg

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 09:31 PM

Paul bought the car from Glidden, ran it shortly, and went road racing.

Attached picture 5566344-4813736-gliddenarrow.jpg
Posted By: Moe

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/25/09 10:39 PM

Is it true Bob put a 340 c.i in the Arrow, and the NHRA re-wrote the rulebook for Pro-Stock?

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/26/09 12:11 AM

Quote:

I'm totally lost on this one! I keep reading the above posts but don't see the coded message.
Tell me this, was the add that I described in my first post the real deal or not? I know what I saw, it "looked" like the car with a bunch of W2 parts that came with it.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/26/09 04:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm totally lost on this one! I keep reading the above posts but don't see the coded message.
Tell me this, was the add that I described in my first post the real deal or not? I know what I saw, it "looked" like the car with a bunch of W2 parts that came with it.

The car "appears" on and off over the years. Many people believe they have it, when they don't. It's a tough call without knowing the car itself to say if one listed is it or not.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/26/09 02:24 PM

R5-P7,

Yes, but it's actually spent more time at the chassis shop getting a 4 link upgrade. I find I seem to have alot more money since it's been at the chassis shop vs actually racing it. Plus I can tell all my buddies "it's at the chassis shop", so they still think I'm a racer and not retired.

Having fun,
Alex
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/26/09 03:50 PM

Way off topic, but I have the headers off Mark Pawauk's B1 powered S/G Arrow.

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/26/09 04:46 PM

Paul evidently had the car right before Hurley did, as Hurley painted the car black and silver, never knew Paul had ever had it. Paul was also in the Landy Omni at one time, maybe he just drove that one a time or two?

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/26/09 04:49 PM

Quote:

R5-P7,

Yes, but it's actually spent more time at the chassis shop getting a 4 link upgrade. I find I seem to have alot more money since it's been at the chassis shop vs actually racing it. Plus I can tell all my buddies "it's at the chassis shop", so they still think I'm a racer and not retired.

Having fun,
Alex

Cool, tried to talk my pop into getting it when the guy in Nevada was trying to sell it complete, though it needed a lot work I thought it was a good deal at the time. Going to be a Super Stock car again?

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/27/09 01:09 AM

Yes, going to be superstocker again. Not sure if going put back in Rittig or Hale paint scheme or?.

FYI,
Alex
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/27/09 02:19 AM

I hope you aren't going to use Hale's current paint scheme with the weird ] bracket graphics. He had some solid red cars in the 1980/90s that looked good. I saw his black SS/DA Cuda at Greenville with nice paint and lettering. I guess he's doing it hisself now with rattle cans and butcher paper masking.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 10/27/09 04:53 AM

Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/27/09 01:59 PM

The pic of the Glidden/Gentilozi car is in Pro Stock trim, not D/G like Paul's first Arrow.
Gliddens Arrow would not have been legal as a D/Gasser due to it having round tube frame rails.
Didn't Paul also run the Arrow as a C/Gasser?

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/28/09 11:59 PM

Sorry, I had to post this! Somebody sent this to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ewmOnA19PA

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 12:17 AM

Or this one if you are a TRUE Arrow fan!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYeCGAtbG8M&NR=1

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 12:30 AM

Quote:

I hope you aren't going to use Hale's current paint scheme with the weird ] bracket graphics. He had some solid red cars in the 1980/90s that looked good. I saw his black SS/DA Cuda at Greenville with nice paint and lettering. I guess he's doing it hisself now with rattle cans and butcher paper masking.

Actually Jim's current rattle can paint job(I think they call this stuff scallops) came from this car. Here's a photo when Fred Turner from North Carolina had it. I think this is a Bob Rice photo at Gainsville around 77-78 but not sure.

FYI,
Alex

Attached picture 5572925-bobriceturnerphoto.jpg
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 12:40 AM

Quote:

Gotta love Arrow's

Love those Arrows.

Attached picture 5572949-2.jpg

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 12:45 AM

same car after Jim Hale purchased it..this is 1979 time frame. Paint job must be a love it or hate it thing..

Attached picture 5572962-whenjimhadit.jpg
Posted By: mopar rookie

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 01:08 AM

Here's a few old pics from National Trails back when they ran super gas on wednesday nights.

Attached picture 5573017-Picture007.jpg

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 01:10 AM

Another

Attached picture 5573021-Picture008.jpg

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 01:11 AM

Last one

Attached picture 5573027-Picture009.jpg

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 10/29/09 01:11 AM

Quote:

Here's a few old pics from National Trails back when they ran super gas on wednesday nights.

Hey! That's "Jungle John" Hazzelrigg. Used to race with himmdown at Motion when he had a gorgeous '69 Roadrunner.

Last time I saw the Arrow was at Mason County. It had the rear valance bent to crap from the wheelie bars. He had stood the car straight up.
Posted By: SoCalRacer

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 12/20/20 09:14 PM

Holy back from the dead, Batman!

There's some facts in some of the previous posts and some stuff that's not quite right. Glidden sold the Arrow after the 1980 Gatornationals allegedly to Pat Musi and it was seen with Don Campanello at the wheel. Shortly after than it went to Paul Gentilozzi and is not to be confused with the Arrow D/G he owned prior. After Gentilozzi it was acquired by Jerry Hurley around 1981 and driven by a few other drivers including Dempsey Hardy, Sonny Ray, and Pete Smith in Pro Stock, B/FX and B/G. I don't know where it is now, but I do know that the Rick Cassel car is a tribute, not a restoration.

On another subject, the image of a gold Arrow at Bandimere is the ex-Mark Pawuk car. Ironically both Arrows in this shot were built by Arrow Dynamics (defunct).

Attached picture ex-Glidden - Don Campanello.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1369-crop.JPG
Attached picture 2020-12-18_11-40-25.jpg
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 12/20/20 10:12 PM

Bob Glidden's Arrow was built by Don Hardy in Floydada TX. I believe he built almost all of Glidden's cars
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 12/20/20 11:12 PM

Wow talk about weird, was looking for my sweat shirts in the attic closet and came upon this mag. Read it all over again, brought back many memories. From Glidden, Ramchargers and the Leong and Cook 70 Hemi convertible stock champ. Even Hamburgers cars. I was 30 then

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 12/20/20 11:45 PM

Cudaman, I'm interested in the Hamburger article...
I have a different issue of SuperStock in my car file, but don't recall that one.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Bob Glidden's Pro Stock Arrow - 12/23/20 12:27 AM

A good friend of mine is Jerry Hurley's nephew, he has many stories from back in the "day". He told about the time they went to Atlanta and pulled the car out of rhe trailer only to find they had forgotten the drivers seat!! He had go to around the pits and finally found a seat!! Another time just him and his aunt drove up to Bob Gliddens house from Texas to buy a motor, Bob informed them the motor is sealed do not take it apart! bring it back if anything needs done, they could change jets in the carb and that was it. The Arrow is from Glidden and the Omni is from Sox and Martin. Jerry was a brick layer by trade and was self funded until the Trans Am, then Verde Ford co sponsored him. As mentioned before, Dempsey Hardy, Sonny Ray and Pete Smith drove for him.

Attached picture hurley.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums