Moparts

OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock

Posted By: cudaman67

OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/13/09 04:29 PM

With Pontiac going by the wayside, why are so many Pro Stock teams switching over to Pontiac next season? I thought the NHRA rules allowed for body styles to be elegible for a few years after they were discontinued ( not sure how many years )
I understand that Pontiac has been very successful over the last 8 or 10 years, with Mike Edwards on the verge of winning his first title. The Summit Boys have several titles between them, and Greg Stanfield has been doing well. Everyone wants to go with a proven combination. I also understand Larry Morgan switching to Ford ( money and opprtunity ). Will NHRA change the rules to allow older body styles? Any thoughts?
Posted By: sixpakdodge

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/13/09 04:50 PM

The G6 body is supposedly the best out there right now. I have heard the new Avenger will be better. Of course, only time will tell.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/13/09 05:09 PM

a year model is good for 5 yrs...

2009 rule book says car must be 2004 model or later..
Posted By: nhramark

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/13/09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Will NHRA change the rules to allow older body styles? Any thoughts?

I doubt it. Oldsmobile had the most "manufacturers cup" wins and when they were discontinued Pro Stock teams had a limited time to switch to another brand.

Similar to when Chrysler stopped making 2 door Neons. NHRA would not grant an extension so Mopar racers had the standard time frame to switch to another body. (or run the 4 door Neon body)
Posted By: cudaman67

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/14/09 04:31 PM

Thanks for the input. Last I remembered, they were allowed to use a body style for 2 years after it was discontinued. 5 years makes a little more sense. I was just trying to justify in my mind why Johnny Gray would be starting up a 2 car team and Rickie Jones with 1 car, especially if they were doing an in-house engine program. Maybe they are leasing engines.
With Larry Morgan jumping ship, guess that will only leave V. Gaines and A.J. in the Mopar camp.
I read that A.J. wasn't a bit too happy about Gray jumping after 1 season, and hoped to get Vinne Decaglia as a teammate next year. We"ll see.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/15/09 03:20 AM

what a joke this rule is, the pro stockers look nothing like a stock body.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/15/09 05:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Similar to when Chrysler stopped making 2 door Neons. NHRA would not grant an extension so Mopar racers had the standard time frame to switch to another body. (or run the 4 door Neon body)

At least at the time four doors were forbidden, don't know if that has changed later.
Posted By: Prostock

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/15/09 01:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At least at the time four doors were forbidden, don't know if that has changed later.

Must have, because next year they are running the avenger body and I don't think they make a 2 door avenger.
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: OT/ Pontiacs in Pro Stock - 10/15/09 01:28 PM

They only run them for 1 year, if that, and then sell them. So if they are the fastest they run them even if they only had 6 months left to run them. They aren't out there just to have fun, they are there to win or dominate while they can.

One of our members is very connect with the Edwards team and may fill us in some. He also maintain and operates the tire scrubbing tool, a 7 sec roadster.
© 2024 Moparts Forums