Moparts

HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY

Posted By: scottb

HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/28/09 11:16 PM

Joe Hornick is joining Johnny Gray at his own engine shop I hope they still will run the mopar.If you do not now who Joe is he was the head engine builder for Greg Anderson for 3 yrs and jeggys for the last 2
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 11:42 AM

He is also on Ray Bartons payroll. He is the one that has helped them find their power this year.

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 01:04 PM

That guy is one of the shapest engine builders out there .He was the head guy at Gibbs before he got into prostock know SSAH cars look out here come the Barton cars
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 02:52 PM

next will be Jeg leaving Cagnazzi and both Gray and Couglin will be in Fords next year. teh consolation for you Mopar guys, they will eb running the mirror image(Mopar )Ford head..Shhhhh..
Posted By: supercomp

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 03:20 PM

I would like to see some pics of those Ford heads.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 03:42 PM

Ford is being allowed to submit two different heads. One mirror image and one symetrical. So the GM guys and Dodge teams can choose a head like they already have and hit the ground with their feet running. Saw the mirror heads and they look just like the Hemi99. Plugs even in the same location. Larry Morgan helped out with those. What tees me off is that when the Hemi99 came out Chrysler wanted to keep a canted head on the books too until the Hemi took off. NHRA said no way one head only. I guess Force and Ford have all the pull in NHRA racing now.
Posted By: topside

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 07:19 PM

Maybe when NHRA says Ford's the Official Car, they REALLY mean Official Car...
Hmmm, wasn't Pontiac the Official Car back at the start of Anderson's winning streak?
Nah, nevermind....
Posted By: BBR

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 07:34 PM

Cached version of Darin Morgan's site

Ford Pro Stock Heads
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/29/09 11:26 PM

It's a copy of the Mopar engine.I'll bet most of the parts interchange too.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/30/09 05:09 AM

NHRA didn't say no way, it was Chrysler that insisted on the "Hemi" head being the only one allowed. Propably because in the beginning the old heads were running better than the new "Hemi".
Posted By: 408strokerdart

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/30/09 12:49 PM

Quote:

Ford Pro Stock Heads

Wow...look at the size of the cam tunnel in the block.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/30/09 12:56 PM

The bearings are rather thick. And the blocks are very low, propably around 9" deck height.

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/30/09 02:52 PM

Just heard he will be running GM next yr
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/30/09 03:16 PM

Although it would be nice to see him remain in a Mopar, and I do hope he does, it really doesn't matter much anymore. NHRA "Championship" Drag Racing has drifted so far away from the sport I grew to love in the sixties that I really don't care much. The gulf between what they do, and what so many of us geezer and grassroots racers do has grown so wide that I usually don't even pay attention to it anymore. Except for AJ (I do watch him, if I'm around), I really couldn't name a lot of the guys on the "circuit".

My real interest in NHRA racing pretty much ends at the SS/AH cars. Indy was more entertaining to me this year because of the Hemi shootout and keeping track of how the new Drag Pak Challengers were doing. The rest of it...
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 09/30/09 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ford Pro Stock Heads

Wow...look at the size of the cam tunnel in the block.

Almost 80mm.

With many extra journals.
Posted By: BottomBulbRacer

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 10/01/09 12:00 PM

Quote:

He is also on Ray Bartons payroll. He is the one that has helped them find their power this year.

Tell us more on this Jake...

There was a rumor on Maries board about this, sounds reeeaaal interesting!!
Posted By: Prostock

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 10/01/09 02:34 PM

Quote:

Ford is being allowed to submit two different heads. One mirror image and one symetrical. So the GM guys and Dodge teams can choose a head like they already have and hit the ground with their feet running. Saw the mirror heads and they look just like the Hemi99. Plugs even in the same location. Larry Morgan helped out with those. What tees me off is that when the Hemi99 came out Chrysler wanted to keep a canted head on the books too until the Hemi took off. NHRA said no way one head only. I guess Force and Ford have all the pull in NHRA racing now.

Actually it was Chrysler that removed approval for the Wedge heads, because Allen had no factory sponsorship at the time, and was beating up on the factory sponsored hemi cars. NHRA had nothing at all to do with it.

Don't forget that wedge was nothing more than an Eicke Olds head with some bolt holes moved around.

Speaking of...anyone know what ever happened to Dale and Caren Eicke?
Posted By: W8n2DustU

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 10/01/09 09:54 PM

Talked with Johnny this weekend in Dallas. He will be running a GM car next year. He would have stayed MOPAR if AJ would have given him adequate power all year. The motor he has now is out of AJ's car from a few races back. He is currently building an allout race shop in North Carolina. Also said his son will be behind the wheel of a prostock car as well.

Attached picture 5518131-IMG_0014.JPG

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 10/02/09 03:54 PM

Quote:

Talked with Johnny this weekend in Dallas. He will be running a GM car next year. He would have stayed MOPAR if AJ would have given him adequate power all year. The motor he has now is out of AJ's car from a few races back. He is currently building an allout race shop in North Carolina. Also said his son will be behind the wheel of a prostock car as well.

Thats to bad I would like to see what Joe Hornick could do with a mopar I know the guy knows how to make hp frist Gibbs shop then Andersons shop now Jeggy shop
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 10/03/09 05:20 PM

Got a question that maybe somebody can answer.What is with these guys who run a pro stock Hemi under engine builders like Roy Johnson and Larry Morgan and then leave to open up there own engine shops using GM engines and cars like Gray and Jones? Is the pro stock hemi junk or is the gm stuff that good? And with gm sucking wind an having a very short supply of pro stock engine parts,Why switch now! Yes i know Mopar is sucking wind also but arent there any real mopar guys out there anymore other than the johnsons? It sure seems as if we will never see another pro stock championship from a mopar ever again with everyone building gm cars.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: HORNICK JOINS JOHHNY GRAY - 10/03/09 05:30 PM

Quote:

Got a question that maybe somebody can answer.What is with these guys who run a pro stock Hemi under engine builders like Roy Johnson and Larry Morgan and then leave to open up there own engine shops using GM engines and cars like Gray and Jones? Is the pro stock hemi junk or is the gm stuff that good? And with gm sucking wind an having a very short supply of pro stock engine parts,Why switch now! Yes i know Mopar is sucking wind also but arent there any real mopar guys out there anymore other than the johnsons? It sure seems as if we will never see another pro stock championship from a mopar ever again with everyone building gm cars.

I have heard the potential of the prostock HEMI is as good or better than the DRCE.

This from people involved with the current top program.
© 2024 Moparts Forums