Moparts

oil pressure

Posted By: moprpete

oil pressure - 09/28/09 09:30 AM

how come after a day at the track,this never hapened before,oil pressure quage,mechanicle,will bounce about 15psi at idle about the same rythem of a cylinder fireing at that rpm?thanx in advance.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 08:28 PM

oil is dropping 15 psi immediately after each revolution, then shoots back up, why?
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 08:33 PM

I was told that was not bad as long as the pressure come back up with the RPM. You should have about 10 lbs for every 1,000 RPM to be safe.

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 08:39 PM

im trying to help ot one of my racer buddies whos at work and cant get to the computer,
problem is that this just started saturday, always has 30 psi at idle now going to 15 psi and at every revolution,psi goes back to 30 psi then down to 15 psi,never seen this before. any idea why?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 09:10 PM

Only time I ever had that happen was when I spun a
rod bearing

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 09:21 PM

Quote:

rod bearing

we dont hear any noise at all.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 09:32 PM

Quote:

rod bearing

that was my first thought.

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 09:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

rod bearing

we dont hear any noise at all.

I didnt either.... at first, then the next pass I
heard squealing
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 09:49 PM

i had an oil pump that did that. i could actually hear the gauge ticking. i shut it off and fired it up again and it was fine. i put a new pump on it and it never did it again.

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 10:46 PM

could it be the pressure relief spring in the pump, could it be broken.
pressure has always been rock steady.
cold 80 lbs.psi then it goes to 30 psi hot then fluctuates.

Re: oil pressure - 09/28/09 11:07 PM

could there be a crack in the lifter bore or fully rollarized rocker failure cause this?

Re: oil pressure - 09/29/09 10:55 PM

chris found the problem.the napa gold 1515 long oil filter base round holes that get close to the inside of the oil pump is alot closer than the shorty 1068 and m.p.4452890 which i have used on this motor for twenty-three years.8/32's verses 9/32's.the bypass rubber from the filter was all in the threads when i took the long one off!restricting the flow hopefully did not hurt it too bad,pray to god the only time ever used the long one since i put manual box in go figure-wifes birthday=mad i'm working on motor

Re: oil pressure - 09/29/09 11:38 PM

Quote:

chris found the problem.the napa gold 1515 long oil filter base round holes that get close to the inside of the oil pump is alot closer than the shorty 1068 and m.p.4452890 which i have used on this motor for twenty-three years.8/32's verses 9/32's.the bypass rubber from the filter was all in the threads when i took the long one off!restricting the flow hopefully did not hurt it too bad,pray to god the only time ever used the long one since i put manual box in go figure-wifes birthday=mad i'm working on motor

good heads up Pete, what made you think of looking there?

Re: oil pressure - 09/30/09 12:06 AM

gotta go to dinner now.just checking if you seen post,looked at a pummp on my shelf-cut three filters apart and with a depth guage took readings and since iknew only thing i changed was the filter that i knew when i installed it looked too cloose,screw in threads almost even with rubber gasket-would work if pumps were deeper groved-bypass ruuber all over the place short style for my BB from now on!lets hope next event still o.k.

Re: oil pressure - 09/30/09 12:20 AM

Quote:

gotta go to dinner now.just checking if you seen post,looked at a pummp on my shelf-cut three filters apart and with a depth guage took readings and since iknew only thing i changed was the filter that i knew when i installed it looked too cloose,screw in threads almost even with rubber gasket-would work if pumps were deeper groved-bypass ruuber all over the place short style for my BB from now on!lets hope next event still o.k.

lets go to island sunday, weather permitting. call me tomorrow!

Re: oil pressure - 09/30/09 12:31 AM

Quote:

Good catch... I didnt see that you had changed filters
© 2024 Moparts Forums