Moparts

Memory or Play Back Tach

Posted By: gearhead01

Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/16/09 02:17 AM

What are your experinaces?
I am getting ready to buy a tach/shift light for my bracket Valiant.
Is the extra cost for a memory tach worth it?
Is a play back tach useful?

Thanks, John
Posted By: boatracer572

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/16/09 02:40 AM

I have had a duel range Autometer playback tach for some time now.I will say this, It was the single best investment I ever made at the time,some fifteen years ago.you can see everything that was going on in your run at half or full speed! very usefull for sorting out a new combo! infact I still use It every run to this day!!!!!

Attached picture 5485313-_MG_0582.JPG
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/16/09 02:48 AM

After seeing what 3ddarts playback will show and seeing how usefull that info is when I download the data from ny daughters Jr dragster tach I wish I had one over my memory tach.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/16/09 03:14 AM

Always good to be able to go back and see if any mistakes were made.
Posted By: gearhead01

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/16/09 11:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I ordered a play back tach today, will have it by noon tommorow. Can't wait to try it out...so i am going to put it in my Satellite temporarily, and run the street bracket this weekend.

Thanks, John
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/16/09 11:59 PM

Quote:

I have had a duel range Autometer playback tach for some time now.I will say this, It was the single best investment I ever made at the time,some fifteen years ago.you can see everything that was going on in your run at half or full speed! very usefull for sorting out a new combo! infact I still use It every run to this day!!!!!

Is that duel range tach were the way the tach numbers read, like 1-4K is small and 5-8K is really big easy to read and spread out?
What part number would the play back tach with duel range be?
Posted By: 3404

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/17/09 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Is that duel range tach were the way the tach numbers read, like 1-4K is small and 5-8K is really big easy to read and spread out?
What part number would the play back tach with duel range be?

If you look at Autometers Dual Channel tachs they'll be the ones in the $550-$700 range they are not quite the same as a playback tach. Dual Channel will record your run and also record a driveshaft pickup. You can download the run to a laptop and see your whole run laid out for you. Great tool.
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: Memory or Play Back Tach - 09/17/09 12:58 AM

the 1 wild bill speaks of that i have is the auto meter sports compact model and if i remember right i spent about $275 for it and would not be without 1 now on a race car. think your converter isn't up to snuff, record a run and play it back to see where you stalling at, see if your hitting your shift points etc. as stated, very useful tool! dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums