Moparts

I'm sick of rebuilding......

Posted By: WILD BILL

I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 01:13 AM

My headers. As some of you recall I had a heck of a time even finding the one pipe I lost during 1 pass at PRP. I had even more holes blow in them last weekend and every time I thought I had it sealed it would blow again. I can't tell you guys how many times I've patched these things.

Well, no more. Yesterday dad and I made a trip to Mich and pick up some new headres from BigFish69. Tom is a great guy and has some killer cars in his garage. Wish I could have stayed and chated longer.

I was surprised at how well they fit the angled plugs of the eddy heads. I only had to ding one tube to get a little more clearnce around the starter.

I had to cut off the multiangle ends off the wires and install 90* ends to get the clearnce so I cut them to fit better at the same time.

I'm little concerned about how low they are to the ground though. I thought my oil pan was low and these are sitting lower than that.

I'm gonna have to watch these closly and see what I might need to do. I first thought of rasing it with a motor plat but I only have 1" till one tube would get close to the master. I might just have to cut the tubes and reweld them a little shorter.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think will happen changing from a 1 7/8' primary with 3" collectors to these which are 2 1/8 and 3 1/2 collectors.
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 01:19 AM

Whew! I thought you were going to say TRANSMISSION!!

I would keep the engine low in the car Bill. Change the height of the header, not the engine IMO.

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 01:31 AM

Quote:

Whew! I thought you were going to say TRANSMISSION!!

I would keep the engine low in the car Bill. Change the height of the header, not the engine IMO.

Yeah, I was kinda going for that with the title

The motor is still sitting in the stock location. I've acctually got the oil pan stuck on a few things which is why I was thinking of raising it in the first place.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 01:35 AM

Damn Bill, I wish I knew you were coming... I only
live a few miles from Tom.
I think your going to have a HARD time loading and
unloading into the trailer.... weather you raise the
engine would depend on how your car transfers the
weight... if you move the engine vertically it will
transfer easier(but would it be too much). Give us all
your specs so we can figure out if the diameter is
going to hurt it

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 01:50 AM

Dam Raff, had I only known

I'm a little concerned about the trailer as well but It sits pretty low so we'll see what happens.

The motor isn't much.

440 .030 over
cast crank, 6 pk rods
Hyper pistons sitting .070 in the hole. (probably around 9:1 compression or lower)
555 solid comp cam
OOTB eddy heads
team G intake
750 NG claw carb
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 02:10 AM

I think its gonna hurt your low end torque... if you
want to know for sure, PM me and I'll run your engine
through my header program
Posted By: moparacer

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 02:28 AM

Quote:

I think its gonna hurt your low end torque...

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 02:50 AM

Hi,Bill! I'll have to agree with my friend,Mike! That big of a diameter tube,on a 440,and heavier car,like your charger,will steal some low-end torque! I have a set of Hedman 1 3/4" tube,3" collector,that you might want to try! If so,I can bring them to Norwalk with me. Let me know! RandyB

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 03:09 AM

Randy, I'll let you know on the headers if I might need to do something quick.

And, I think you'ld be surprised at what my car weighs

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 03:20 AM

Bill,now you've got me curious! What does the Charger weigh? 3500,3600 lbs.???....

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 03:47 AM

Boy are you way off

I thought just about everyone knew by now as I have posted it a number of times

2820#'s with out me
2970#'s with me in it.

Posted By: mopars rule

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 03:50 AM

Best I remember he had it down to under 3000#.
Posted By: mopars rule

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 03:54 AM

Dang Bill, your post hit just before I got mine in.

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 03:59 AM

Quote:

Dang Bill, your post hit just before I got mine in.

You need to work on those RT's
Posted By: rebel

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 05:54 AM

dang Bill, no offence dude but them tubes look ugly. ever thought of making your own & build them for practacality & asthetics? i'm no welder but i built my current set in my garage with hand tools & even tho my tubes aren't equal length, they make plug access a breeze & i can drive onto my trailer with no assistance & it's quick & easy, especially when it's starting to rain. to build my current set was cheaper than buying a set of cheapo hookers.

Attached picture 5452054-11-08-09_21131.jpg
Posted By: Discoquik

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 12:43 PM

Bill I have a set of TTI headers not doing anything at the moment. They would work alot better on that combo. Motor too mild and not enough RPM to use the big tubes. Even the 500 in the old dart we used the street header. You know where they are if you want to use them. They have 176 miles on them and 5 pulls on Koffel's dyno.

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 02:40 PM

Rebel, I agree, building my own would have been a lot better but I just didn't have the time. I was hoping to get my old set to last through the end of the season so I could do something like that.

Vic, what size are the primary's and do they have evac tubes?

I only have 3 more outings this year so unless some drasctic needs to be done quick I'm gonna wait till off season before I do anything else.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 08:34 PM

Bill, .070 in the hole why are you hiding them puppies way down there

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 08/31/09 09:55 PM

I built the short block many years ago for a completly different purpose.

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 09/01/09 03:07 AM

Bill,less than 3,000lbs.???!!!!!! Maybe I should put the GTX on your South Beach Diet! RandyB

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 09/01/09 03:16 AM

All you need is a little

I think I could drop the weight a bit more. I still have all the factory front suspension as well as the bumpers, fenders and doors. Not really sure if removing the stock floor and fire wall is worth the weight savings but that's still stock too.

Posted By: Discoquik

Re: I'm sick of rebuilding...... - 09/01/09 01:35 PM

1-7/8" 3" COLLECTOR
© 2024 Moparts Forums