Moparts

CUT THE BULL !

Posted By: EJ440

CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:28 AM

after sending 15000.00 with a well known mopar builder that said my 500 cid crate motor would make 800 hp. its time for me to do it myself . my 3100 lb a body will only 10.20's. i was going 10.40's with a 30 over 440 with stage six heads that ran on pump gas . here what he sent me. it's 4.38 bore 4.15 crank. cam is 706/690-274\274 @50 .440-1 fully ported. heads are 69.9 cc 13.1 comp. converter is a 5500 coan made for motor. 4.88 dana 60 and coilover ladder bars 13-31 good year slicks 1.43 60ft . please dont tell me call no one . tell me your real world combs and et and what would you do?
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:41 AM

I'd be bummed, that's for sure. I'd get it out and get it on a RELIABLE dyno. Actually before I did that, I'd do a compression and leak down test while still in the car. Did the builder dyno test it? Were the heads on a flow bwnch??

If it does make the numbers the builder claimed, the problem is else where.

I would also think 4.88's are WAY too much gear at that weight. 4.56's, or 4.30's would be more like it...

This ought to be very interesting...
Posted By: DaKuda

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 12:24 PM

I would tell us who the engine builder was so we know who to look out for when spending our money....
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 12:31 PM

Are you sure the engine is in proper tune? Jetting. timing, valve lash, shift points, etc.? Was the engine dynoed? If not, I wouldn't give up on it just yet.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 12:38 PM

what was the MPH?
Posted By: Leon441

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 12:47 PM

Quote:

what was the MPH?

MY THOUGHT'S EXACTLY

ET has little to do with HP. Look at your MPH. Look at what it was with old engine. MPH=HP ET=combination

If you didn't pick up MPH you may want to check the tuneup and some of the other items mentioned. Once you have absolute proof go kick the engine guys butt.

Leon
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 01:03 PM

Who assembled the engine... you or the builder
and yes what is the MPH
Posted By: camdog440

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 01:46 PM

Quote:

Are you sure the engine is in proper tune? Jetting. timing, valve lash, shift points, etc.? Was the engine dynoed? If not, I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

I wouldn't give the name of the builder to trash them until you are POSITIVE it is lack of power from the engine... and not an issue with the trans or convertor... or?
Posted By: emarine01

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 01:58 PM

Way too many variables to bug the builder, check compression, leak down and cam timing , its good to know for a new engine anyway , test and tune to dial it in,
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 02:13 PM

Check everything that got changed from your old combo to your new combo. We don't know near enough about the motor to make any judgments what so ever. Same with the converter, or what headers it was dynoed with, then raced with. We need all the details to help. Did the compression go way up? What plug gap you running? Ignition system? Fuel system? Shift rpm? 4.88 and 31 inch tire looks to be too much rpm for 1/4. I calculate almost 8,000 rpm at 140 mph with 7 percent slip in the converter. The motor would be laying down long before 8,000rpm. You should easily be able to pull 140 mph with 800 hp.
Posted By: wildcargo

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 02:18 PM

If you want to compare go to my web site, car ran best of 10.08 at 132 451ci E heads 620mp cam and a 950hp carb on a victor intake. lots of specks to look at
add below

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:06 PM

thanks for te replys guys. yes i have done all of the above.the trans is new, covertor new.timing has been from 32 all the way to 40. carb is a 1050,jeting has been from 88 all the way to 98. was runing slower than that tiil we move the timing chain from retart 4 degree to straight up picked up from 10.50 down to 10.20 mph has been from 126-133. i have tried leveing 4000 to 5500 on the trans brake. the car feels like a dog out of the hole. no dyno on this motor .builder says he builds them all of time and he just dyno one that 807 hp and 701tq that is the same as mine. he said the heads flow 370ish .i will be taking this motor out today .

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:12 PM

Quote:

thanks for te replys guys. yes i have done all of the above.the trans is new, covertor new.timing has been from 32 all the way to 40. carb is a 1050,jeting has been from 88 all the way to 98. was runing slower than that tiil we move the timing chain from retart 4 degree to straight up picked up from 10.50 down to 10.20 mph has been from 126-133. i have tried leveing 4000 to 5500 on the trans brake. the car feels like a dog out of the hole. no dyno on this motor .builder says he builds them all of time and he just dyno one that 807 hp and 701tq that is the same as mine. he said the heads flow 370ish .i will be taking this motor out today .

What did your leak down show.... if you advanced it
the 4* to straight up, why not try going to 4* advanced
that will pick up the torque..... I wouldnt be pulling
the engine out yet
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:16 PM

What trans is in the car?
What is the shift point?
Trap RPM ?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:18 PM

800 HP,126-133MPH @ 3100 lbs.???!!!!!! NOT GOOD!
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:25 PM

builder says he builds them all of time and he just dyno one that 807 hp and 701tq that is the same as mine. he said the heads flow 370ish .i will be taking this motor out today .

With my one recent bad choice of shops to deal with, in reading all this here are a few ?????

Was this a new crate motor to start with or your old crate motor?

What kind of shop would build a 15k motor and not dyno it in house to cover there behind?

Ive learned real shops provide build sheets, dyno sheets, I hope im wrong but I hope when you start looking into the motor its got the parts it should have and what you paid for.

The machine shop im dealing with now seems very top notch and they take time to talk to me, I felt bad thinking about asking them to make up a work order in detail prior to doing anything, but they were one step ahead and had one, they said thats how the business is run.

Please keep posting on what you find....I hope its not from the flordia shop ive delt with, if so break out the pre-lube.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:31 PM

Quote:

builder says he builds them all of time and he just dyno one that 807 hp and 701tq that is the same as mine. he said the heads flow 370ish .i will be taking this motor out today .

With my one recent bad choice of shops to deal with, in reading all this here are a few ?????

Was this a new crate motor to start with or your old crate motor?

What kind of shop would build a 15k motor and not dyno it in house to cover there behind?

Ive learned real shops provide build sheets, dyno sheets, I hope im wrong but I hope when you start looking into the motor its got the parts it should have and what you paid for.

The machine shop im dealing with now seems very top notch and they take time to talk to me, I felt bad thinking about asking them to make up a work order in detail prior to doing anything, but they were one step ahead and had one, they said thats how the business is run.

Please keep posting on what you find....I hope its not from the flordia shop ive delt with, if so break out the pre-lube.

that pretty much sums it up. if it were mine it would be going on a different dyno soon.
Posted By: weedlayer

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:37 PM

Quote:

.... I wouldnt be pulling the engine out yet

why not?? not even close to 800 ponies like it supposed to have. sounds like another tail light warranty from a supposed guru.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:39 PM

no dyno sheet on this motor. it was put together whit his proving combo. header are 2in hooker fender well .msd 7 al2. fuel punp is aeromovive 1000.i shift @6800b traps about 7000 .compression is 13;1 69cc head. old motor was a 30 over 440 stage 6 heads 76cc .cam was isky 660 282@50. 1050 dom . the same 2in headers.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

.... I wouldnt be pulling the engine out yet

why not?? not even close to 800 ponies like it supposed to have. sounds like another tail light warranty from a supposed guru.

Why would you... you can test more things while its
still in the car... more so than while on a stand
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:44 PM

Quote:

it was put together whit his proving combo.

Did you assemble the motor or did the engine builder assemble it?

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

it was put together whit his proving combo.

Did you assemble the motor or did the engine builder assemble it?

he did.
Posted By: weedlayer

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:48 PM

why should he have to test it??? he paid 15 g's for a motor that does not perform. If I went from my current 600 ponies to 800 ponies even in the same set up it better do better than run the same number. besides, he all ready put it to the best test there is. He has time slips and they suck. Gonna take more than fiddlefarting around with cam timing to find what he's missing. I hate it when I see what people spend good money for and the results they get. I am done.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:52 PM

Quote:

no dyno sheet on this motor. it was put together whit his proving combo. header are 2in hooker fender well .msd 7 al2. fuel punp is aeromovive 1000.i shift @6800b traps about 7000 .compression is 13;1 69cc head. old motor was a 30 over 440 stage 6 heads 76cc .cam was isky 660 [Email]282@50.[/Email] 1050 dom . the same 2in headers.

Iam guessing its a glide but a shift @ 6800 and another 1/8 mile and it only makes 200 RPM's more? That dont seem right.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:53 PM

Quote:

why should he have to test it??? he paid 15 g's for a motor that does not perform. If I went from my current 600 ponies to 800 ponies even in the same set up it better do better than run the same number. besides, he all ready put it to the best test there is. He has time slips and they suck. Gonna take more than fiddlefarting around with cam timing to find what he's missing. I hate it when I see what people spend good money for and the results they get. I am done.

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:55 PM

Quote:

He is right, time to take it back. I hate to break it to some of you, but a few jets off here, a little timing of there isnt going to cost him what seems to be 150-200hp he is a missing.

The car should be running mid to low 9's. or faster.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:56 PM

727 224 low gear

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 03:58 PM

I'm REALLY curious who this "supposed" guru is that doesn't even provide a dyno sheet, for a $15,000 engine? That's just ludicrous! RandyB
Posted By: slippery440

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:00 PM

A well known Mopar engine builder that charge you 15 grand and never fired the motor on the dyno? Even to make sure that everything was put together right and within specs?Thats living off your reputation.Not every motor will run the same numbers.Your right to take the motor back to him and have him figure out the lack of about 200 horse is. Good Luck

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:00 PM

Quote:

I'm REALLY curious who this "supposed" guru is that doesn't even provide a dyno sheet, for a $15,000 engine? That's just ludicrous! RandyB

no kidding, I wouldn't even make a post like this until I was ready to put that info out and exhausted all efforts with the builder to solve the problem.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:02 PM

you all have heard of him and its not INDY .

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:04 PM

Quote:

well are you going to play games or tell us? have you even talked with him about this and asked him to fix the problem? if it turns out to be something other than the motor what then?
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

well are you going to play games or tell us? have you even talked with him about this and asked him to fix the problem? if it turns out to be something other than the motor what then?

Exactly! Hard for me to believe someone pays $15k for a engine with no dyno info? If that's the case, you're to blame as much as the engine builder. No way in hell I'm taking delivery of that engine without it being pulled and tested with dyno sheets. As Quicktree asked, have you even spoke to the engine builder? What did he say? Something just doesn't sound right here.
Posted By: Barnstorm

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:12 PM

500" 440-1 combos are popular,prooven. I've built several 760 to 820hp for much less than $15000. That said I'd leak it before U pull it. If it leaks OK then plan revenge. Car should run mid 9's all day.

Attached picture 5435248-mopar_resize.jpg

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:36 PM

NOT GOING TO BEATUP ANYONE YET.just looking for ideals or help on what could be worng on my end .and yes i have talked to him bout it. he is not much help.its getting to the point you cant trust anybody.i guest I'm going to take it out. take it a part get some books and try and do it my self.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:43 PM

I think Mr P has a good point on advanving another 4* on the valve timing
Posted By: moeflo

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:47 PM

133 MPH should go well into the 9's.
But, you're still down. Does the motor not leave/recover well?

BTW, I agree with you in knowing for sure what the problem is before trashing a shop.
Posted By: moeflo

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:49 PM

...make sure your V/P clearance is OK before you move that cam around too much!!
Posted By: TS3303

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:49 PM

Was this a mail order engine or can you drive it back there? Taking it a part yourself at this point is not a good idea and you will probably lose any legal recourse. Did this standard recipe crate motor have a list of parts used? Take it to a local shop and have it dynoed then if it is still down on power pay them to disassemble and document the internals.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 04:53 PM

Quote:

NOT GOING TO BEATUP ANYONE YET.just looking for ideals or help on what could be worng on my end .and yes i have talked to him bout it. he is not much help.its getting to the point you cant trust anybody.i guest I'm going to take it out. take it a part get some books and try and do it my self.

Big mistake, once you open it up your done. all the books in the world wont help at this point.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:02 PM

Quote:

If you don't know how to do it now(build and diagnose) that motor is not the one you should learn on, take it back and see what he will do. Do you have or have access to a leak down meter? If not buy one now before you take the motor out or apart ad leak it down, that will give you documantation for future action in court, if needed I sincerely hope that your engine builder takes care of the problem, give him a chance first and let us know your results BTW, the last motor I built and dyno tested pck up 100 HP from the first pull to the best pull by changing little things like four jet sizes smaller than the carb. company that built them sent them with, changing the timing some for the race gas used and adding velocity stacks with air cleaner on the top You found the car went faster by changing the cam timing, change it some more, don't quit working on the motor in the car until it won't get any faster no matter what you do The track is the best test bed out there, all the rest (dynos, flow benches and so on) are just tools to measure with I have fought the same battle, other cars with the "same" parts where going faster than mine was , some racers won't tell you all of the true story on which parts thier actully using Do the math on the finish line RPM and the calculated MPH versus the time slip MPH, new converrter may not be the best converter for this new combination, I know one NHRA class racer that treid 8 different converters to find the best one, which was right at .03 better than the next better one all eight conveters where from the same, really good, converter company, each converter was a little different and he was the test bed at the track for them Don't give up, test, test and test some more
Posted By: moparacer

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:08 PM

I have the same situation. I didnt spend the $$$ on this engine but the guy I bought it off of did.

$13000+ to be exact.....499, 440-1s...Dynoed at 750HP with a flat tappet cam and 12:1 compression and at 3100bs I am running 10.00 @ 133-134.....

I can get a couple tenths out of a tighter converter and gears but the mph tells me there aint no way this thing is making 750.....

More like 600-650hp at the most LOL.

I mean like come on I could have throwed a 4 inch stroke crank in a 360 with a set of hand ported Edelbrocks and ran like this lol.

Posted By: quick77rt

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:09 PM

NOT GOING TO BEATUP ANYONE YET.

It seems you have already jacked that option, its good to get the word out on BS deals. However it limits your options.

The non involved member I paid to collect my parts told me this happens at least one time in life if your in the car game.

If it ever happens to me again it will never be spoke of, made public, just dealt with in the old school ways where issues get resolved, not ignored.

Damage control sucks and yes it makes it hard to trust anyone.

Boy, I bet the PM boxes are busy today....

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:10 PM

I thought he said, CUT THE BULL
Posted By: HPMike

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:16 PM

Take it one step at a time.

Do as the others have instructed and check everything before throwing anyone under the bus.

I have seen engines lose a mountain of power because they simply had too much oil in them.

Good Luck getting it straightened out.

MB
Posted By: instigator

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:27 PM

check for wide-open throttle using the pedal.

definetly way too much gear unless you only run 1/8th mile...

let's see timeslips....all incrementals

get a local mopar friend to look things over also..maybe he will see something you don't

pull timing cover and check cam timing

car push real hard...dragging brakes, bent rear-end...

definetly lazy 60's

does the motor appear to revving but car just not pulling. (converter slip, trans slip)

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 05:29 PM

That sounds like the "logical" thing to do,especially when there's that much money involved, for a product that's not what it's advertised to be!
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/23/09 09:43 PM

My brother is trying to help a freind through a similar situation. 1000 HP 572 B-1, small tire A-body, 727 with a 5500 Coan. 60ft's are horrible, car runs 9.60's. The difference is the owner was standing in the dyno room when it made 1000hp.

You opened with "CUT THE BULL" OK, lets do just that.

1. I don't care who the engine builder is, or whether you got all the sheets with numbers on them you thought came with the price tag...THATS ALL BUll!

Most of us have been doing this for a while, If you want to compare apples to apples, we need clear concise information: Parts before. parts now. How many runs? Incrementals? Weather conditions, track conditions? Hood scoop?

I have a buddy with a 473" BBF in a tube chassis T-bird. the engine made 825 HP. I've seen it run 8.87-153 all out, I've also seen it run 9.55-144 all out, with worse conditions, a tighter converter, and taller slicks. Everyone always brags about there best numbers, but everyone who races on a regular basis has days where they are 4 tenths away easily, it doesn't make them think, "I'm yanking the motor tomorrow, it's hurt."

The gear is too deep, which exaggerates the problem of the headers being too small and too long, and personally, there's no way I'm giving the trans and converter a free pass just because they are new...do you still have your old converter?

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 12:26 AM

Have you checked your fuel volume yet... also what
size are your headers
Posted By: Old School

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 01:12 AM

before going thru all the work to pull the motor,find a chassis dyno and get some pulls on it.try some tuning while on the dyno.see what kind of numbers it makes.this way you have a hard number insted of guessing.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 03:03 PM

Quote:

727 224 low gear

Is that a typo "224" ? Or is it a 274 low gear set? 274 combined with that gear (4.88 IIRC) is WAY TOO MUCH starting line gear ratio!!!
Posted By: cudadon

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 03:13 PM

Quote:

YES I HAVE TALKED TO THE BUILDER ABOUT IT. HE IS NOT MUCH HELP!!!!

This a RED flag. He should be bending over backwards trying to help you get it running right!
Take it back to him and ask him why it's not showing it's potential??
Can he meet you at the track to observe and help tune it? That's a lot of money!! If this is his proven combo he should be proving to you that it has the Horsepower and Torque he told you it would have when he built it!!!
Don

Attached picture 5437455-451ondyno.JPG
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 06:01 PM

first what are the cam specs lobe separation angle.
where was the cam in and where is it now?
Optimum Shift point for that motor would be 7500 or more???
if it is a 110 LSA and was in at 114 before and now in at 110 it's still needs more advance you are leaving a lot for us to guess.
What were the 1/8 times and mph where is you rev limiter chipped??

I too can't see how a 4.88 gear 31 tall tire car can run a full 1/4 with 0% converter slip at 7000 I get 132???
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 06:32 PM

Quote:

after sending 15000.00 with a well known mopar builder that said my 500 cid crate motor would make 800 hp. its time for me to do it myself . my 3100 lb a body will only 10.20's. i was going 10.40's with a 30 over 440 with stage six heads that ran on pump gas . here what he sent me. it's 4.38 bore 4.15 crank. cam is 706/690-274\274 @50 .440-1 fully ported. heads are 69.9 cc 13.1 comp. converter is a 5500 coan made for motor. 4.88 dana 60 and coilover ladder bars 13-31 good year slicks 1.43 60ft . please dont tell me call no one . tell me your real world combs and et and what would you do?

We had a motor similar to yours that my brother did in the mid 90s.

3280lb w/driver, 69' Cuda. 4.56, SS springs, inboard kit, 9in. J converter, footbrake, 12.2-31 Firestones.

Best run was at ATCO on a rent day.....9.21 @ 145.86, w/1.29 60ft.

Would go 9.40-9.45 @ 143+ in average air, with 1.30-1.31 60s.

Take the engine down and make sure everything is there that you paid for, then put it together the right way.

Make sure the rest of the car (fuel, electrical, suspension, converter, etc.) are on the money.

If it doesn't run at least a .30 in good air at that weight, I would think something is off somewhere.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 07:30 PM

you would think the responsible engine builder would see this and come and give his opinion? I am sure there is another side to the story.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 07:42 PM

Quote:

you would think the responsible engine builder would see this and come and give his opinion? I am sure there is another side to the story.

maybe he is not a member here....

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 08:17 PM

I would think that the power band between the 2 engines would be a lot different, did you go from a 3.75 stroke to 4.15? It may be the car needs to be changed to suit the new engine, you can be leaving a lot on the table with gear and tire size, I am no drag race expert but I do know in a boat if you replace a 600hp diesel with a 800hp diesel if you don't change the propeller or gear ratio you will have little to no gain at the same rpms

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 08:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

727 224 low gear

Is that a typo "224" ? Or is it a 274 low gear set? 274 combined with that gear (4.88 IIRC) is WAY TOO MUCH starting line gear ratio!!!

This is what Iam thinking. Low gear set, 4.88 rear gear 31" tire and is only at 7000 rpm's in the quarter?
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 09:42 PM

I hope you did'nt buy a crate motor from Indy.. I agree with some others that have said you are not really that far off in what that combo should run. The motor might be making 800 hp..but it might not be, too. You should get the car to a chassis dyno...then you will know how much power is getting to the ground.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 10:11 PM

Quote:

I would think that the power band between the 2 engines would be a lot different, did you go from a 3.75 stroke to 4.15? It may be the car needs to be changed to suit the new engine, you can be leaving a lot on the table with gear and tire size, I am no drag race expert but I do know in a boat if you replace a 600hp diesel with a 800hp diesel if you don't change the propeller or gear ratio you will have little to no gain at the same rpms

this engine is new with a after market block. the only thing that is the same from frist motor is headers and carb . 727 with 224 frist gear. 488 is what the builder said it needed. the cam is 706/690 274/276@50 comp cam 108 centerline. no one I've talk to likes this cam . the motor is comming apart to see if I got what I paid for . if not I'm taking a 6 hour drive to see this guy!!.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 10:19 PM

I would say with that cam in at 106 (good spot) and those heads would definatly like a 7500 to 7600 shift point!!!

so tell us more about the 1/8 mile numbers and the rev chip??
Posted By: BobR

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 10:30 PM

Quote:

My brother is trying to help a freind through a similar situation. 1000 HP 572 B-1, small tire A-body, 727 with a 5500 Coan. 60ft's are horrible, car runs 9.60's. The difference is the owner was standing in the dyno room when it made 1000hp.

You opened with "CUT THE BULL" OK, lets do just that.

1. I don't care who the engine builder is, or whether you got all the sheets with numbers on them you thought came with the price tag...THATS ALL BUll!

Most of us have been doing this for a while, If you want to compare apples to apples, we need clear concise information: Parts before. parts now. How many runs? Incrementals? Weather conditions, track conditions? Hood scoop?

I have a buddy with a 473" BBF in a tube chassis T-bird. the engine made 825 HP. I've seen it run 8.87-153 all out, I've also seen it run 9.55-144 all out, with worse conditions, a tighter converter, and taller slicks. Everyone always brags about there best numbers, but everyone who races on a regular basis has days where they are 4 tenths away easily, it doesn't make them think, "I'm yanking the motor tomorrow, it's hurt."

The gear is too deep, which exaggerates the problem of the headers being too small and too long, and personally, there's no way I'm giving the trans and converter a free pass just because they are new...do you still have your old converter?

I agree. Threads like this are frustrating to me.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/24/09 10:30 PM

The converter will make a ton of difference. If it's not suited to the RPM range this motor likes, it will turn a monster into a pig. It should have at least a 5400-5800 stall and shift into the 7200 range for maximum ET and MPH. Check that before pissin someone off that might not have given you all the information on combo. Believe me, the motor is only part of the combination. And as far as the cam goes, if you ask 10 people, they will all give you a different choice of cam.
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 05:21 AM

hi

1. chasi dyno

2. diff convertor

Posted By: 493_DART

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 06:41 AM

i vote for less gear ... and a converter for the EXACT combo.

Also--- id like to see the builder revealed

If he wont fully work with you at this point----what is there to lose ?
You need to move on anyway it sounds like !

I cant believe he wont stand behind his race engine

Posted By: moper

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 10:19 AM

I think there's more to this saga. 3 sides to everything.. mine, yours, and the truth. If you can't diagnose it, find a local who can look at it with you. If you can't or won't provide all the info nobody can help you. A wrong hone job or cheap parts will struggle at that power level too. Simple setup things could be off. Or it could all be your car and your setup.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 12:01 PM

This thread is like the board game CLUE
Posted By: camdog440

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 12:08 PM

Col. Mustard with the wrong gear... in the rear.
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 12:25 PM

im wondering why no leakdown numbers posted? spend 15k,and no leakdown tester? i vote gears,and converter,if engine is ok.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 12:27 PM

Quote:

I have nothing in this and I'm not saying the engine
isn't down on power but, I have to disagree.

I don't think it's the engine builder's responsibility to
finish the guy's car. Make reccomendations, yes but,
if the engine is NOT the problem, his job is done.

That's like blaming the tire manufacturer for not being
able to cut a light.

Posted By: V10nacuda

FOOD FOR THOUGHT - 08/25/09 01:15 PM

I don't claim to be an expert but I did learn a few things along the way when it comes to the DYNO!!!
1) An operator can make it read just about what ever he wants...... If it's not set up or calibrated correctly that WILL affect the #'s
When I dynoed my first 451 it was the 2nd motor that was on the guys dyno & the first to actually be raced regularly. After a bunch of passes I had talked to the guy & mentioned how well it was running & he related that some of the settings were off. SOME OF THE DYNO OPERATORS CAN PROBABLY EXPOUND ON IT I GIVE THE READERS DIGEST VERSION..

2) Just the same with chassis dyno differences MUSTANG vs DYNO JET

My :two cents:
Before you tear it apart TAKE IT TO ANOTHER ENGINE DYNO & get a BASELINE. Talk to you engine guy & see if he used POLITICIAN math in arriving at his DYNO #'s. If all checks out the 2nd dyno runs then consider taking it apart with the original builder other wise I don't see you having any recourse.

V10

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 01:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have nothing in this and I'm not saying the engine
isn't down on power but, I have to disagree.

I don't think it's the engine builder's responsibility to
finish the guy's car. Make reccomendations, yes but,
if the engine is NOT the problem, his job is done.

That's like blaming the tire manufacturer for not being
able to cut a light.

Exactly. There are a lot of things to do before blaming the engine builder. I get the feeling that this deal is far from optimized and blaming the engine builder before that's all done kind of tells me what the real problem is.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 01:35 PM

To the point it may have nothing to do with the engine build.We have seen our engines that we have built not perform to the level that they should only to find the problem in the tuning,drive train combo or chassis.We even found that sometimes it's the driver that makes a world of difference.We built a 605" hemi that didn't perform for a racer only to find that his race-pak setup(computer)was the culprit.He set his timing at 33/35 locked but the computer would advance it 10* for every thousand RPMs.He was upset with me when I explained it was not the engine but his $3500+ ignition set up,since the mechanical parts of the engine ie: timing chain and gear set/lock distributer cannot advance themselves.Imagine running an engine at 8000 rpm with 35* at 2000 rpm adding 10* for every 1000rpm,that's 95*@8000rpm.But I guess that was my fault.But seriously once it is in the hands of the racer they need to figure the combo out and dial the car in.Many of the good builders are great tuners and can help dial the combo in.If your builder is a good tuner then he should help you.As far as I'am concerned I don't let any of our machinist build or tune engines,Myself,Chaz and a few others at BGR handle that part since we are racers and do our best to make all our engines perform,sometimes the hardest thing to do is get someone to listen to good logical advise.I hope you don't give up and find someone to help you achive your goal,I see some 9second passes in your future.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 02:12 PM

Quote:

after sending 15000.00 with a well known mopar builder that said my 500 cid crate motor would make 800 hp. its time for me to do it myself . my 3100 lb a body will only 10.20's....

tell me your real world combs and et and what would you do?

3200 lb A-body
511 CID, 4.375 x 4.250 stroke
Indy 440-1 ported 350 cfm at .700", 368 at .800", 68cc
13.5 CR
Comp Cams solid lifter cam (not a roller) MM-305S-10
279º/287º@.050", .690"/.670" (.650/.630 at 1.5),110 LSA
Headers: 2-1/8" x 32" long x 4" collector

3200 lb A-body (with driver)
727 trans, 5400 stall, 4.30 gear, 32" tall tire
Shift at 6500, 6900 finish line

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 02:18 PM

Hey Jim, what did you run the first time out with the new engine?

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 02:30 PM

Quote:

Hey Jim, what did you run the first time out with the new engine?

My car was pretty well setup after years of running the smaller engines. But the first day with the 511 CID was March 11, 2006 and it ran the following all between 69-72 degrees:

1st: 1.28, 10.25/97 mph (let off at 1/8 6.04/112)
2nd: 1.28, 9.53/136.4
3rd: 1.27, 9.50/138.5
4th: 1.27, 9.47/138.5 (1/8 5.96/113.6)

This was amazingly well for the first time with a new motor. And the carb was sorted out in prior years, but still benefited from slight tuning on the new engine. And I used a known perf cam (not a new experiment). And the heads were from the privious 471 motor (Stage VI special ported). And the good converter from before (but I did have it tightened up after a few more weeks of running). So it was built on previous stuff, just added stroke and bigger headers...
Posted By: BradH

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 02:42 PM

Quote:

Col. Mustard with the wrong gear... in the rear.

And, no, it certainly doesn't run like it should based on the changes described. Beyond this, I can't add anything that hasn't already been suggested.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 02:47 PM

Quote:

header are 2in hooker fender well

I don't like those headers on 500 CID engines, 383-440 maybe...

This is from Fast68plymouth dyno test:

Quote:

493 CID
Includes Hooker Super Comp A-body fenderwells (2" x 43")
versus his dyno headers, stepped 2 to 2-1/8", 32" long (12" + 20")

test A-M1 4150/905 carb/1" open spacer/dyno headers

test B-M1 4150/1050 carb/2" adapter/dyno headers

test C-M1 4500/1050 carb/no spacer/dyno headers

test D-M1 4500/1050 carb/no spacer/ A body 2" headers

rpm--A/tq/hp-----B/tq/hp----C/tq/hp----D/tq/hp
3700---------------------------------------586/413
3800---------------------------------------598/433
3900---------------------------------------607/451
4000-521/397-----------------524/399---619/471 = +72 hp
4100-525/410---519/405----524/409---632/493
4200-555/444---533/426----545/436---631/505
4300-594/486---588/481----599/490---635/520
4400-605/507---594/498----617/517---636/532
4500-611/524---618/530----618/530---640/548 = +18 hp
4600-628/550---623/546----628/550---635/556
4700-632/565---634/567----630/564---635/568 = + 4 hp
4800-628/574---637/582----635/581---632/578 = - 3 hp
4900-630-587---632/589----634/592---626/584
5000-624/594---625/595----632/602---619/589 = -13 hp
5100-623/605---626/608----625/607---619/601
5200-617/611---622/616----624/618---612/606
5300-615/620---621/627----619/625---606/612
5400-609/626---620/637----609/626---599/616
5500-603/631---606/635----612/640---593/621 = -19 hp
5600-591/630---600/640----599/639---586/625
5700-587/637---600/651----597/648---578/627
5800-585/646---592/654----592/654---576/636
5900-578/649---589/661----584/656---560/629
6000-571/653---581/664----580/663---553/632 = -31 hp
6100-565/656---576/670----576/670---550/639
6200-557/658---567/669----560/661---538/635
6300-546/655---561/673----556/669---526/631
6400-541/660---549/669----544/663---516/629
6500-530/655---541/670----540/668---504/624 = -44 hp
6600-518/651---535/672----527/663---494/620 = -43 hp
6700-509/650---523/667----518/661---484/617 = -44 hp
6800--------------514/665----511/662---476/616 = -46 hp

Posted By: AndyF

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 03:00 PM

There isn't anything wrong with the parts that you listed so I don't know what the issue is. A 500 inch motor with ported -1 heads, 13:1 compression and a decent cam should easily make 800 hp.

Either something is wrong with the motor (plug wires crossed, jetting off, timing off, cam timing off, ring seal bad, etc) or your drivetrain is way off.

Standard debug drill. Start at one end and work your way thru the combination. Pull the motor and get it on a dyno or take the car to a chassis dyno. Double check and triple check everything. Timing, valve lash, leak down, compression check, spark plugs, etc.

If NHRA super stock guys were allowed to run 500 inches and -1 heads they would be running 8's so that isn't the problem. Your combination just isn't sorted out.
Posted By: RonP

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 03:14 PM

Lot of good advice and I hope you get it worked out. I would also be frustrated if I were you.

Since you asked

I am at 3380 car+driver. 493, 440-1's with bowl blend (never been flowed or ported I think fast68 said they go 325@600), 12.8:1 flat tops, headmen hustler 2" fenderwell's, prosystems dominator, indy roller cam r2 284/288@.050 .683 lift. 727, PTC converter, 4.30 gear dana , 325-50/15 (28 tall) et street radials.

SO far I have been a best of 9.62@138+, but I am confident there is a little more in it. Especially with good weather. Maybe some mid to low 50's. I think it does well, but as you can see by all of the opinions on here, that can vary as some would say the car should be 20's or 30's

I am very happy with the combo so far.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 03:15 PM

Thankx Jim, But thinkin about it you were not the best choice to prove my point, ya got your chit together much better than most
Posted By: 64ssmax

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 03:31 PM

heads are 69.9 cc 13.1 comp. converter is a 5500 coan made for motor.

How did you build your convertor with no dyno sheets?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

Thankx Jim, But thinkin about it you were not the best choice to prove my point, ya got your chit together much better than most

what point are you trying to prove ?

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 04:56 PM

My point was that just because you up the hp with a new combo it might not run as expected till you work out all the bugs, Jim was not the best choice cause he seems very meticulous in what he does
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 04:59 PM

Chassis dyno if you have access, and if you're not using a good dominator, you will need to for the best results. Most of the time, as others have said, it's not an engine builders fault. And, I'm not an engine builder, but have been doing this stupid racing thing for 25 years. Good luck!

Attached picture 5439714-April2009newdragsterpaint.jpg
Posted By: GoDartGo

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 08:50 PM

by the lack of any more post, I think EJ440
has taken his motor apart and is sitting in
a $2500 pile of swap meet gems.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/25/09 09:53 PM

Quote:

by the lack of any more post, I think EJ440
has taken his motor apart and is sitting in
a $2500 pile of swap meet gems.

From EJ440,s post history hes not a big talker. The barrage of questions probably scared him away.

He inquired about engine builders before and "Hensly racing" engines was recommended, so maybe that was the engine builder. Hes also about 6 hours away from him,

With the limited info given there is not info to blame any engine builder IMO.

The engine is definately not up to snuff and running like it should. But that could be for a number of reasons as already stated. It could be as simple as two plug wires crossed or some simple timing or jetting issues,etc,etc.

Without anymore quality input/feedback from EJ440 I guess we'll never know.

Back in 95 when I put my new MP 484cam 440 combo together it wouldnt even spin the tires the first time out. After working out the bugs, 11.75 ET

After a few more years of dialing in the combo and a MP 509 cam, 10.47 ET.

My point is, to check all the basics before condeming the motor and its builder. mike

Also while EJ440,s car is not running as it should, she doesnt run bad and it sure looks Nice

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 12:33 AM

I just got back from droping the car off at my local moparmam. would had him build it from the begging but the machine shops around here just plain suck . he said that the car is just plain lazy. he is going find out whats going on. Im not a motor guy but a paint & body guy . just never got in to building short blocks. and about the converter ? . without a dyno sheet they ask for cam lift, cam@50, bore & stroke ,compression, est hp. I did all the things the builder said to do. "I'm not here to BASH OR BAD MOUTH anyone". I have been spending a lot of money and not going any where . tired of beating the hell out of my car and not going any where. just want to unlock my 800 hp .
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 03:51 AM

You will get there, you sound like a good man and good things will come your way before long.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 04:41 PM

Quote:

I just got back from droping the car off at my local moparmam. would had him build it from the begging but the machine shops around here just plain suck . he said that the car is just plain lazy. he is going find out whats going on. Im not a motor guy but a paint & body guy . just never got in to building short blocks. and about the converter ? . without a dyno sheet they ask for cam lift, [Email]cam@50[/Email], bore & stroke ,compression, est hp. I did all the things the builder said to do. "I'm not here to BASH OR BAD MOUTH anyone". I have been spending a lot of money and not going any where . tired of beating the hell out of my car and not going any where. just want to unlock my 800 hp .

In my experience very seldom is the converter correct out of the box-any box. That's one place I would look. I also think that your cam timing is incorrect and you should keep advancing it but when you do this you have to keep track of your p/valve clearance. Good luck.
Posted By: stroked470

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 05:13 PM

I would check piston to valve clearance before I advanced it to far. I watched a 493 get tore apart to find out why it wouldn't fall out of a tree. The first thing that was check was the cam timing. The cam was advanced 8 degrees because of piston to valve clearance instead of tearing it apart and cutting the pistons they retarded the cam for clearance. The rings and bearings were changed and cam advanced to where it should be and that thing would fly. The owner claims it came straight from Hensley's and installed in his car then pulled and tore apart when it was so lazy.

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 05:49 PM

In the beginning of this thread he said They found the cam -4 and reinstalled it straight up and gained 3 tenths, I think thats got a lot to do with things , for one I cant think of a good reason to install the cam @ -4 to start with but if the car is still lazy in 60 ft advancing another 4 makes sense, as said before check pv clearance and let it rip
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 05:54 PM

Good luck with it, things will come around. If you keep researching the posts on here, you will gain valuable insight from those going fast with similar packages. That was the key for me. My car went from 9.50s to 8.70s by what I gleaned from these guys.
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: CUT THE BULL ! - 08/26/09 06:43 PM

Quote:

To the point it may have nothing to do with the engine build.We have seen our engines that we have built not perform to the level that they should only to find the problem in the tuning,drive train combo or chassis.We even found that sometimes it's the driver that makes a world of difference.We built a 605" hemi that didn't perform for a racer only to find that his race-pak setup(computer)was the culprit.He set his timing at 33/35 locked but the computer would advance it 10* for every thousand RPMs.He was upset with me when I explained it was not the engine but his $3500+ ignition set up,since the mechanical parts of the engine ie: timing chain and gear set/lock distributer cannot advance themselves.Imagine running an engine at 8000 rpm with 35* at 2000 rpm adding 10* for every 1000rpm,that's 95*@8000rpm.But I guess that was my fault... <snip>

I remember that. Boy did that truck pop going down the track!

That wasn't even the end of his problems. Dropped a valve with another engine builder, with major damage and still hasn't got a 7 second ET if I recall correctly. Which really isn't impressive considering the truck is a Bickle's pro stock chassis/trim.
© 2024 Moparts Forums