Moparts

Lightweight front end parts.What's out there?

Posted By: MoparDonny

Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 12:06 AM

Thinking of hoods, bumpers, steering box,Brake master, fans and Rad, etc.
Would be nice to lighten the Challenger's nose a bit. What stuff do you guys like?

Don.
Posted By: lowell66dart

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 12:41 AM

Easy stuff is a fiberglass bumper and aluminun radiator and waterpump. 9 inch drum spindles with Aeroapsce brakes. Manual steering. You can lighten up a stock K member some with a holesaw and patience. Eventually you will be chasing ounces not pounds if you get serious.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 01:05 AM

contact Bob's Profab (bondobob)
he makes;
Chromemoly drag link,
CHromemoly strut rods w/aluminum washers,
Chromemoly steering shaft,
lightened K member
You are looking at approx 50lbs in weight savings!

Attached picture 5426122-17-107.JPG
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 04:54 AM

what do you have for brakes heres my aerospace saved a bunch of weight

Attached picture 5426668-brakes.jpg
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 04:56 AM

If you have full length header flanges at the head mating point, cut off the excess metal in between the each exhaust port except obviously the two adjoining middle exhaust ports and you'll save a pound or two depending on your header flange thickness. it will also seal much better to the head surface because the tubes will be independent of each other. Just a little trick here and there to rid the ounces off the front end.
Look for all the small stuff that will add up big on the scale.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 05:00 AM

i went from a full factory trim E body to a A body with a carbon 1 piece front clip. that was a major improvement. now i can sit on my front wheels while i work on my engine. no more sore backs from leaning over front fenders. this is one option that any future racecar in my life must have.

Attached picture 5426678-DragMasters48.jpg
Posted By: MoparDonny

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 05:11 AM

The car (Dad's)is a 71 Challenger with a 496, Eddy heads, Alum water pump, Alum sheetmetal valvecovers ,Six pack on Alum manifold, all stock suspension other than SS leafs and Calvert shocks.

Mike, are those brakes streetable or race only? Car still has power steering and power brakes. I bet if it had a fiberglass hood and bumper,aluminum bumper brackets,Manual brakes and steering, then relocate the battery to the back the weight transfer would be WAY better. How much does a Lift off hood weigh compared to an RT hood?

Don.

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 05:19 AM

oust manual brakes, manual steering, YES.
replace fiberglass hood and bumper, YES.
the battery in the rear will for sure set some much needed weight transfer in the right spot.

oust the undercoating, sound insulation, heater box and motor, just to name a few of the easy things.
Posted By: chryco

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 11:44 AM

My Mag Force F/E and Wilwood disks knocked 180# off the front end. The ally block also helped .
Chryco

Attached picture 5426847-MVC-005S.jpg
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 02:45 PM

Your factory brakes weigh ~83 lbs. The Aerospace street kit weighs 42 lbs. The Aerospace race kit weighs 30 lbs.

I'm a dealer for them and offer a Moparts discount - let me know.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 02:51 PM

Kinda off topic but do the rear Aerospace disc brake kits require the "green" or non-adjustable bearings or can you use them with the factory adjustable timkins?
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 03:01 PM

bumpers will save #13 each
front brakes around #40
rear brakes #35-40
battery around #45-50
power steering to manual about #32
power brakes to manual about #20
a light hood could save #60
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 07:10 PM

I am with lil Demon. I shaved 66 lbs off the nose with the Aerospace front brakes. And you gain safety.
Posted By: farmboy

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 08:24 PM

How about getting those crash beams out of the doors. As I remember, it was over 50 pounds.

Re: Lightweight front end parts.What's out there? - 08/19/09 09:11 PM

Are you saying the front factory Drum brakes are 83 lbs or the factory Disc brakes?
© 2024 Moparts Forums