Moparts

hemi cuts out

Posted By: GEORGE68HEMIRR

hemi cuts out - 08/16/09 11:56 PM

did some 1/8 mile today...first run she ran great but second and last run engine was cutting out during the run and picked back up at the end .....i have the msd 6 al,pro billet distrib,hvc11 blaster coil...earlier this year i replaced cap and rotor and noticed like rust and crap around the module....scraped and cleaned that....msd 6al is around 11 years old...distrib is around 6 years old....coil around 3 years old.....do you think its electrical??does the box when it goes bad does it go out and on or just die completely.....it was real hot today....over 100...the 6al was real hot to touch....yes its under the hood on front of the inner fender...the car is a 68 roadrunner...572 hemi
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: engine cuts out - 08/17/09 12:20 AM

Number 1 thing would be getting the box out from
under the hood

Re: engine cuts out - 08/17/09 12:23 AM

this is a mostly street car....driven... its never done this before
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: engine cuts out - 08/17/09 12:49 AM

Did you pull a plug and look for a misfire? Those Old MSD 6AL are tough as a piece of flat iron. When the go they go, personally never had one go bad.

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 12:52 AM

So far what have you checked
Posted By: Michael

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 12:59 AM

This so called gasoline we have today and that heat???? I wonder if that isn't your problem?

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:03 AM

so far....i just got it off the trailer.....i can sit there and holder her at say 5grand and it dont cut out....i did watch the fuel pressure gauge run up to 9psi while holding the revs...its set for 6psi.....i know...should be 7.5psi....i am just looking for the possiblities

that mallory 250 electric fuel pump is 10 years old too

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:12 AM

When you say... cutting out... do you mean missing
pull your plugs and take a look, sounds like you dont
tune it up too often

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:23 AM

brand new plugs ,new wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter....how about that rusted msd module that i cleaned up...it dont cut out reving and holding....when i said cutting out....like dead on her face dead ...then it would take off ... the track 116 degrees with my heat gun
i am going take it out for a ride in the morning and see what happens
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:30 AM

What fuel system is on it? If it's a mechanical pump it's probably vapor locking or boiling the fuel in the fuel line.

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:31 AM

Quote:

brand new plugs ,new wires,cap,rotor,fuel filter....how about that rusted msd module that i cleaned up...it dont cut out reving and holding....when i said cutting out....like dead on her face dead ...then it would take off ... the track 116 degrees with my heat gun

Well you pretty well got the igition covered except
for the box.... for right now lets say its fine...
look to the fuel system... I got my car so lean
it tried to do the same thing.... is this right off
the line that this occurs

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well you pretty well got the igition covered except
for the box.... for right now lets say its fine...
look to the fuel system... I got my car so lean
it tried to do the same thing.... is this right off
the line that this occurs

i am just nailing second when it falls on its face then comes back to life and does fine after that....its not breaking up just dead then on

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:44 AM

Quote:

What fuel system is on it? If it's a mechanical pump it's probably vapor locking or boiling the fuel in the fuel line.

its a mallory 250 electic pump and mallory fuel filter....8an stainless braded to front....bg regulator to 6an braded to carbs

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

its a mallory 250 electic pump and mallory fuel filter....8an stainless braded to front....bg regulator to 6an braded to carbs

Time to try and reproduce the problem.... get the car
hot(up to the temp you run) and do a flow test on
the fuel system... sounds like its starving

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 01:59 AM

i am looking at 70dusterjohns post and was thinking the same thing and read on someones elses responce about the fuel cell foam breaking up...the launce and the foam blocking it up.....this is a old triangler 20 gallon cell which is say 10 years old...could be??

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 08:27 PM

well i removed filter and tore it apart wasnt alot of stuff.....pulled the distributor cap and the stator is all rusted up with the pickup....is that normal heres some pics...

Attached picture 5423286-DSC00951.JPG

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 08:29 PM

hers the filter crap..i guess this rules out the foam coming apart..still have to test the pump

Attached picture 5423289-DSC00950.JPG

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 08:34 PM

Quote:

i am looking at 70dusterjohns post and was thinking the same thing and read on someones elses responce about the fuel cell foam breaking up...the launce and the foam blocking it up.....this is a old triangler 20 gallon cell which is say 10 years old...could be??

is it possible for the fuel cell foam to block off the pick-up during a launch.....i have to get a new filter and launch it and watch the fuel pressure gauge which i didnt get a chance to do

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 09:13 PM

this could be a problem too....should put the pump and filter under the pickup

Attached picture 5423347-DSC00954.JPG

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 10:02 PM

i was just talking to my buddy and he heard my car popping like crazy as it went down the track....i shift at 6800 and the rev limiter is set at 7200..i have that dial job instead of the pills..so i am not running into that
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 10:32 PM

Quote:

well i removed filter and tore it apart wasnt alot of stuff.....pulled the distributor cap and the stator is all rusted up with the pickup....is that normal heres some pics...

Try drilling four 1/4 " holes on the side of the cap 2"apart.This will help.I still have to clean mine once a year.
Posted By: barracuda man

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 10:39 PM

Quote:

i was just talking to my buddy and he heard my car popping like crazy as it went down the track....i shift at 6800 and the rev limiter is set at 7200..i have that dial job instead of the pills..so i am not running into that

I would think the dail works the same way.try 7400 rpm.I need at least 500 rpm or higher than my shift point.Or it pops.

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/17/09 10:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Try drilling four 1/4 " holes on the side of the cap 2"apart.This will help.I still have to clean mine once a year.

the pick-up was full of crap to....i wonder if a clean this all up and put a thin layer of electic grease in everything...that should help

Re: hemi cuts out - 08/18/09 01:03 AM

the guy i was racing said it was poping like a machine gun....so this must ve been into the rev limiter and the tach was at 6800 when i went for second gear....so i have a feeling the msd6al is bad....i guess i am going to replace that and see what happens
© 2024 Moparts Forums