Moparts

TTI Exhaust Test

Posted By: nss guy

TTI Exhaust Test - 08/11/09 10:23 PM

This past w/e I was able to do a back to back test: Open headers vs TTI X-Pipe and Dynomax Ultra-FLo mufflers.
With the weather being in the upper 80's-90's I hoped I could pick up a tenth by uncapping my car.
I haven't ran it uncapped in 3yrs and thought this would help. First run uncapped 10.64 at 127mph, second run added 14" header extensions 10.61 at 127mph, third run put the X-Pipe and mufflers back on approx 60lbs 10.62 at 127 again. I was actually faster at the 1/8 with the exhaust, 102 vs 101 uncapped. The runs were within 2hrs and the DA changed less than 150ft from start to finish.

Attached picture 5411262-smallBPF.jpg
Posted By: wyoming

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/11/09 10:38 PM

Thats pretty surprising to me, especially since you had actually pulled the mufflers and pipes from the car, would have thought 60 lbs would have showed up as an adder even if the open headers didn't, pretty suprising, either the engine breathes better with the exhaust on or your tuned for it one.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/11/09 10:44 PM

Good info to know.You and Myron(Locomotion stocker) have had very similar results.How "loud" are the Ultra Flo's??
Posted By: codfish

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/11/09 10:45 PM

Quote:

.How "loud" are the Ultra Flo's??

They're not loud at all. Until you get on it!!

codfish
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/11/09 11:26 PM

Did you do any jetting for the best in each case

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/12/09 12:07 AM

Quote:

Did you do any jetting for the best in each case

No Jetting changes, believe it or not it's not very sensitive to jetting changes, I run it slightly on the rich side.

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/12/09 12:11 AM

Quote:

Thats pretty surprising to me, especially since you had actually pulled the mufflers and pipes from the car, would have thought 60 lbs would have showed up as an adder even if the open headers didn't, pretty suprising, either the engine breathes better with the exhaust on or your tuned for it one.

I found out that after switching from an "H" Pipe to the X-pipe weight did not slow the car down. 100lbs was always a sure tenth with the H-pipe, switched to the X and 100lbs was maybe .03... I had to learn a whole new way to adjust the ET. The X-pipe does add more torque in my opinion.
Posted By: nssracer1

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/12/09 10:09 PM

How big a shot of NOS did you use on those passes?
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 12:20 AM

Quote:

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 12:43 AM

Quote:

The pills were stamped 50hp, and the bottle wasn't heated.
OOPS!!!!!!!

You tricked me into that answer

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 12:50 AM

On a serious note,
In my experience the TTI X-Pipe actually made more power (torque) than open headers. I was actually hoping I could count on picking up .05+ by running uncapped. That is not the case, the X-pipe really helps.

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 12:52 AM

Quote:

On a serious note,
In my experience the TTI X-Pipe actually made more power (torque) than open headers. I was actually hoping I could count on picking up .05+ by running uncapped. That is not the case, the X-pipe really helps.

Jim, on a serious note why are you running 10.60's when I know the car will run 10.30's sandbagging

Russ

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 01:10 AM

Russ,
The car will run 10.30's in 2000 or less DA on Radials. My M/T Radials lasted 52 passes!! I bought bias slicks Friday and they are a sure tenth plus slower. I thought I'd cover the 10.50 index by pulling the exhaust, not the case. Just wanted to pass the info.

Jim

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 01:42 AM

Quote:

Russ,
The car will run 10.30's in 2000 or less DA on Radials. My M/T Radials lasted 52 passes!! I bought bias slicks Friday and they are a sure tenth plus slower. I thought I'd cover the 10.50 index by pulling the exhaust, not the case. Just wanted to pass the info.

Jim

Gotcha ---- I have MT's on mine and I should have stayed with the Hoosier radials like I had on the 64. I had good luck with those and ran them for a couple of years before they gave out. However that was on a lighter car and it was only a 9" tire and not a 10.5 so that could have helped with the longevity.

Russ
Posted By: 383man

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 02:45 AM

Thats good info to know. Thanks for passing that info along. I run the Ultra-Flows but I use an H-pipe and not the X-pipe so I dont know how well mine works. I may pick up a tad uncapped. My Ultra-Flows are not real loud unless I am on it hard. I can and do listen to my radio while driving and right now I only have the dash speaker. Is that a 3" system ? Ron

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 09:41 PM

Russ,
My M/T radials were 9" wide also, I was really disappointed in the longevity.
383 Man,
I have the 3" system

Attached picture 5415604-frontsuspension.jpg
Posted By: PUNK

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 09:52 PM

My brothers car has a 3" TTI X-pipe exhaust feeding Borla Race mufflers and 2 1/2" tailpipes over the axles to factory appearing tips. I have been itchin to remove the exhaust to see if it benefits at all. I will be monitoring the wide band oxygen sensor and make the necessary adjustments so the air/fuel ratios are the same for comparison. It would be nice to know if the car didnt benefit from open exhaust because its a real pain in the booty to take the exhaust off at the track.

Attached picture 5415622-May102009BryanatAutoClubspeedway5-09020.JPG
Posted By: TexasStroker

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/13/09 10:17 PM

Thanks for the info
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/14/09 01:21 AM

is there any gain running 3" from headers thru x pipe to 2.5" muffs and then out 2.5" pipes vs running the 2.5" the whole way from the headers?

I have the 2.5 dynamax aar style muffs (inlet/outlet both sides) and the 2.5" aar trumpets.

they dont make the muffs or the trumpetyailpipes in 3"
Posted By: racerx

Re: TTI Exhaust Test - 08/14/09 11:14 AM

Do anyone know if there is a manufacturer out there that sells a 3 1/2" x-pipe and if so,by any chance no the weight #'s on it?I run the 3 1/2"bullets and would love to quiet it down some but not add to much weight. Use to run the Flow masters 2 chambers (love the sound)hate the restriction.Thax.
© 2024 Moparts Forums