Moparts

ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............

Posted By: B1CUDA

ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 07:18 PM

It is with a very heavy heart that I advise you of this, but, a friend of mine lost his life yesterday at Fontana Raceway, in an accident that could have been avoided. Ronnie Marcum, 53, was going to test the transbrake on his dragster, in the pits, when everything went horribly wrong.
Ronnie, for reasons we will never know, DID NOT have his rear wheels on Pro Jacks/ Jackstands, and when he went to test the transbrake, the throttle stuck wide open, and the dragster went through the pits at close to 100mph before impacting into a trailer, killing Ronnie instantly.(As I type this, I am still in a state of shock as Ronnie was a racers racer with decades of racing experience) A junior dragster race was being held at the track, and thankfully, the kids were up in the staging lanes when this happened. (Ronnie crashed where several of them were pitted) My friend Jeff, who has two kids that race juniors, witnessed the accident from start to finish, and watched Ronnie die. Jeff was the first one to Ronnie, but, he knew that there was nothing he could do, Ronnie was gone.

Please, please, please take a moment when you are at the track, your shop, or your garage, to make sure that you and others around you are safe.
Ronnie leaves behind two kids, and several devastated friends who just can't believe this happened.....I am one of them.
Posted By: 5126brl No more

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 07:19 PM

Very sorry for the loss
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 07:22 PM

Man, I read that yesterday and couldnt believe it. Better advice could not be suggested than what you just wrote.Its SO EASY TO ASSUME everything is ok, and here's a case of a reality check, and a reminder how fast things can go wrong, and how easy it is to forget about safety.

Godspeed to him, and in some strange way, maybe his accident will save someone else from serious harm, or worse yet, death.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 08/09/09 07:27 PM

Posted By: aarcuda

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 08:10 PM

thats terrible. when accidents happen, they happen FAST.

sorry to hear about your friend
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 08:22 PM

WOW.....sorry
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 08:38 PM

There is a thread going on this.....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1#Post5404674

RIP

Posted By: ro23car

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 08:43 PM

my condoleces to you and his family
Posted By: Dart1031

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 08:58 PM

Sorry for your loss
Posted By: justinp61

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 09:57 PM

Very tragic a life lost in the blink of the eye. I've always wonered why guys check their trans brake in the pits. I've seen it a bunch of times, a guy backs the car into his pit, puts it in gear, engages the trans brake then smacks the throttle. It looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.
Posted By: SB449VALIANT

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 10:12 PM

Very sad indeed!.......My prayers go out to his family and friends...
Posted By: 69B3GT

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 10:12 PM

Sorry to hear this. Track is maybe 10 mins from me and i had no idea
Posted By: jamesc

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 10:19 PM

i posted to the other thread but still feel the need to post here. it's horrible, absolutely horrible, sickening to hear and completely unacceptable. someone's father, husband, brother, friend loses his life and it could have been much worse. you see people doing this at pretty much any event you attend and i just don't understand it. i work in a refinery and have been racing for 30 years so i understand safety pretty well. in refining they have gone completely overboard with some of their safety requirements and if you question the rational of these standards you're looked at like some kind of madman. that said for all the safety crap that is piled on racers such a having to recert/replace perfectly good belts this is allowed to go on all the time and this is not the first time someone has lost their life because of it. imho this activity is one of the most hazardous conducts you see at any race. while i've seen plenty of other dangerous acts i think this is the worst. people become so complacent with the horsepower they have control over. having the brake release on the starting line becomes second nature because there's no one around you and certainly no one in front of you which i personally feel are the only conditions people should have the throttle open and the brake applied. i hope this serves as a wake up call before something similar happens again...it's a real shame
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 11:28 PM

Hey Chris C.

I have known the Marcums for 32 years. The only one I hadn't seen in awhile was Charlie.

I totally agree that it is very unbelievable the Ronnie would do something like that..

I was told by a long time cop friend, who was at ground zero there, the Ronnie had sold that dragster to someone in Washington, and was sorting out some problems. The throttle was hanging up, and the car was stumbling on the brake..
Again, not making excuses for Ronnie, but I have known him for so long, it is just hard to believe he did that...

After my car was wrecked, I looked a safety in a different manner.
Billy D has been guilty of this offense, (when in a hurry), in the past, but NEVER again.. It's just not worth it.

15 minutes earlier, or later....We would be talking about something horrifying..

May he be with his brother Randy..In peace..

And if you have never seen any of the Marcums cars, you have missed a treat..
Some of the nicest, cleanest rides I've ever seen.

His 66 Nova is just awesomely beautiful..

Chris..
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/09/09 11:52 PM

Quote:

having the brake release on the starting line becomes second nature because there's no one around you and certainly no one in front of you which i personally feel are the only conditions people should have the throttle open and the brake applied.

Sorry to hear about the accident. The local track near me has a rule that testing a transbrake can only be done at the starting line, no where else. Think safety.
Posted By: cowbay

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 01:27 AM

Sorry to hear about the lose. It is tragic. All it takes is a moment.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 01:29 AM

This is terrible but could have involved more people.

It is not a good idea to test a transbrake in the pits especially at wide open throttle. But on the track the throttle could have hung just the same. What do you do? Hope you can find the kill switch. On jack stands it is not a good idea either as you can explode the tranny because there is no load on the drivetrain.

This is an ugly problem you sell a car with problems. You are trying to fix a minor problem(stumbling on the brake)the major problem (a sticky throttle) takes your life.

Sorry for those who knew and now miss him.

Leon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 02:18 AM

I am Ronnie's girlfriend, Tina and I loved Marcum beyond comprehension, what an incredible man he was! I am truly grateful for everyday I had with him and will miss him more than words could possibly explain! I am very grateful to all of you who have posted it helps me get through the most painful time I have ever had!
To the Marcum's: Thank you for letting me be a part of your family! You are fanastic people!! Having you a part of my life especially now means the world to me!!
To his Racing Friends: Thank you for making me feel so welcome and a part of the Racing Family!
Love - Tina (T as he would call me)
Posted By: Ian

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 03:46 AM

it is Very sad indeed!.......My prayers go out to his family and friends
Posted By: wyoming

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 01:49 PM

Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 02:03 PM

I am sad to hear for your loss. It is an unfortunate reminder to us all of what can go wrong with these cars if we do not keep the safety of ourselves and others in mind.
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 02:34 PM

Knowing what it's like to lose a good friend makes this really hit home for me.
I hope you and your family can find peace after something like this. Very sorry to hear this Chris....but like you said, no kids or any other person was harmed.
Brian
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 05:08 PM

Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 06:31 PM

A friend was just telling me about this earlier this morning... Terrible... sorry to all for the loss...
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/10/09 11:49 PM

Posted By: mopardamo

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 12:38 AM

Hello,

So sorry,

Damon
Posted By: Chassisman

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 12:58 AM

I've talked to many of my friends whom were there and said it was horrible...yes the majority of the junior racers were gone.But a few actually witnessed the accident and are having a tough time with it. My very good friend whom was almost too close tried to help but couldnt get to him and he says the thing that he'll live with are the screams of the kids whom witnessed it. We need to think about and pray for peace for these tiny souls. He said many dont want to get back into their jr's,I hope time and understanding heals that. It was a freak accident that was terrible. So many things went wrong and a good racer perished.
PLEASE...carry fire extinguishers in your trailers and keep them handy in your pit...I understand it was a huge fire from not only the dragsters tank but several jugs of alcohol in the trailer he hit.
GOD SPEED Ronnie Marcum....
Posted By: jcc

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 01:19 AM

Before anybody flames me for asking a question, its because I really don't know, I not trying to make some hidden point or agenda, but on a street car, the brakes will stop a car even under full throttle, do dragsters of this type have the same or any capability to slow a stuck throttle car?
Posted By: therocks

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 01:27 AM

In a dragster with a t brake its at probally 70ph before you realize its stuck and the Tbrake let go.You probally couldnt react fast enough to stop.That and it has a lot of lower pushing that light car and most have just rear brakes.That and with the throttle stuck open.It would probally take an 1/8 mile to stop under track conditions.Rocky
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 02:50 AM

Here is a nice thread of Ronnies Memory. He was a great guy who paid the ultimate price for getting careless.
My police officer friend on the scene agrees with one post on there, that Ronnie deliberately drove the car into an empty trailer so he didn't hit racers and children.

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/251108861/p/1

Chris..
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 03:25 PM

Posted By: Kevins493

Re: ALL RACERS! PLEASE READ THIS............ - 08/11/09 04:36 PM

Quote:

Before anybody flames me for asking a question, its because I really don't know, I not trying to make some hidden point or agenda, but on a street car, the brakes will stop a car even under full throttle, do dragsters of this type have the same or any capability to slow a stuck throttle car?

I know on a stock street car that might be possible, but even on my NSS car it won't stop. On a dragster, you have to remember most of these cars are making around 7-800 hp (or more) with at most 2 disc brakes to stop it. So to answer your question, no. And as someone else mentioned, a car that light will accelerate (through the brakes) fast enough that unless your hand is already on the kill switch you will likely not shut it off in time. This is also why I take advantage of the use of a cross ram on my car and use 4 return springs..and have someone check that the throttle is fully returning before I start the car to unload from the trailer. A stuck throttle with the car dropping into gear unexpectedly could have the same effects as this tragic accident.
© 2024 Moparts Forums