Moparts

Standed by MSD 6AL

Posted By: 440mag

Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 08:27 PM

Driving home last night my car dies going 75 mph on I-5. Got pulled over and tried to restart with know luck. I did not have any tools to trouble shoot pluss it was too dangerous with all the traffic flying by 2' away. Called AAA and was brought home safely on a truck.

I went through all the normal trouble shooting and it looks like the 6-AL box is dead. The box is 7 years old + -.

How long does it take if you send one in for repairs? Is there much of a savings going repaired over new?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 08:42 PM

Quote:

Driving home last night my car dies going 75 mph on I-5. Got pulled over and tried to restart with know luck. I did not have any tools to trouble shoot pluss it was too dangerous with all the traffic flying by 2' away. Called AAA and was brought home safely on a truck.

I went through all the normal trouble shooting and it looks like the 6-AL box is dead. The box is 7 years old + -.

How long does it take if you send one in for repairs? Is there much of a savings going repaired over new?

I dont know but that car looks killer...Love the triple black Charger. Now back to your regular scheduled program..LOL
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 08:56 PM

I sent one in about ten years ago and it was about a week turnaround.They repaired it and I asked them to add extra long wires and it was only around $35.00 with the shipping.
Gus

Attached picture 5292216-READY1.JPG
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 09:03 PM

They are now asking for a receipt with repairs. Typically it's a 1-2 week turnaround. I had my digital 7 box back there twice last fall. The second time the replaced it.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 09:20 PM

We keep a spare box in the truck , nothing worse than towing outa state and the box fails trying to get off the trailer
Posted By: amixon

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 09:39 PM

Quote:

We keep a spare box in the truck , nothing worse than towing outa state and the box fails trying to get off the trailer

Better to have and not need than to need and not have. I always have tools in my old cars, but wrenching on the side of the road while traffic whizzes by at 90 makes a great addition to any "fixed it myself" story!

I used to have the Mopar ECI as a back up just in case the MSD takes a time out.

Nice looking car!

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 09:55 PM

Having two sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how many spare parts a guy needs to haul along. On long trips (1,000 miles round trip) I will always load up with tools and a few extra parts. This was a short 150 mile round that only made it 105 miles.
If it on a trailer it broken or stolen

Hope I can find a receipt. I will give MSD a call in the morning and see what think for a turnaround time.

Thanks for the help and compliments on the car.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 10:08 PM

Quote:

Having two sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how many spare parts a guy needs to haul along. On long trips (1,000 miles round trip) I will always load up with tools and a few extra parts.

I agree, its one thing to carry a ballast resistor
which are cheap and use to quit on a regular basis
but to carry a MSD box is sorta pricey (plus takes
up a fair bit of room in the car). Yeah I have a TON
of spare stuff in the race car trailer but not much
stuff in the street cars..... thats what the cell
phone is for

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 10:31 PM

I guess I missed the part were they said this hobby is cheap. And those little 50 dollar tool boxes from Sears don't take up that much.

What's 200 dollars when we have so much in the cars to begin with?

What about when your cell phone dosen't work. Just saying...

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 10:59 PM

Quote:

I guess I missed the part were they said this hobby is cheap. And those little 50 dollar tool boxes from Sears don't take up that much.

What's 200 dollars when we have so much in the cars to begin with?

What about when your cell phone dosen't work. Just saying...

If... If... If... If I only had a spare engine, a
spare electrical system, a spare trans... even with
all the spare parts that you could/might carry...
you wont have the one part that fails... Murphy's
law.
I carry some tools in my street rod and regular
street car but it better be a minor problem
Posted By: Blown61

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 11:13 PM

Quote:

Having two sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how many spare parts a guy needs to haul along. On long trips (1,000 miles round trip) I will always load up with tools and a few extra parts. This was a short 150 mile round that only made it 105 miles.
If it on a trailer it broken or stolen

Hope I can find a receipt. I will give MSD a call in the morning and see what think for a turnaround time.

Thanks for the help and compliments on the car.

Always carry a spare box and coil.

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 11:16 PM

Hey I carry a spare MSD when we go outta town for the race rig But I dident think of a spare ICM for my powerstroke

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 11:33 PM

Quote:

Hey I carry a spare MSD when we go outta town for the race rig But I dident think of a spare ICM for my powerstroke

Yeah I carry 2 spare 7 Al boxes in the race trailer
and most stuff to rebuild about half of the car, gasket
sets, rocker sets, I use to carry a spare cyl head,
spare rear gear set. If I loaded up to go south for
a month or so I would even load a spare engine. But
the last time I broke... of all things I broke the
throttle cable and of course didnt have one... I
do now... but I'll never break that again... because
I have one... thats Murphy's law

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/14/09 11:42 PM

Well, I carry a spare for my spare...so it doesn't get lonely in the tool box all by itself! I would carry a spare engine but then I would have no place for the cherry picker, trans jack or battery charger. It's only a 2door you know.

Did I mention Mr Murphy has his trailer parked in my drive way? Oh yeah, me and him are good, good friends!

Everything within reason of course Mr P

At least you guys get to have your cars break on you, I don't have any Dodge products in Baghdad since the tank battalion moved out...

Attached picture 5292593-Picture105.jpg

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/15/09 01:12 AM

Quote:

Well,Everything within reason of course Mr P

At least you guys get to have your cars break on you, I don't have any Dodge products in Baghdad since the tank battalion moved out...

Thanks for your service in Baghdad. We would not have our toys if the bad guys were here.

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/15/09 01:22 AM

Quote:

Well, I carry a spare for my spare...so it doesn't get lonely in the tool box all by itself! I would carry a spare engine but then I would have no place for the cherry picker, trans jack or battery charger. It's only a 2door you know.

Did I mention Mr Murphy has his trailer parked in my drive way? Oh yeah, me and him are good, good friends!

Hey , how does that rig do in the mud?

Re: Standed by MSD 6AL - 06/15/09 03:50 AM

Quote:

... how often do you guys get on a computer
over there....... by the way..... THANKS for your service
© 2024 Moparts Forums