Moparts

Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block....

Posted By: silverfish

Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 03:18 PM

I know everybody seems to have great luck with a factory mini starter and it will work with an Indy block but for some reason I don't have any luck at all. Another one broke this weekend. What other options are there for a good starter that will crank when I need it to? I have a 540" motor with an Indy alum block that has the extra ribs. 14:1 compression. The RobbMc won't work because of the extra ribs on the alum block, already tried it. Every Mopar mini starter I've tried will fit but it seems to die shortly after installation. Any other suggestions??? Anyone have any experience with the Powermaster XS starters?
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 03:49 PM

I used the Factory Mini starter on the almost same engine. Mine was 557 CID, which was a 4.44 bore x 4.5 stroke. Compression was measured at 15.5:1 which I ran with alky injection.
No problems at all.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 04:20 PM

Just an idea? Starter just a bit of? Not lined
up with fly wheel? To much heat by the starter?

I don't think powermaster will be any better.
The 440 source starters are just as good.

You could try the MSD starter, or the Meziere.
If that doesn't work, then something isn't
lined up right or it's a heat problem.
Posted By: belvedere383

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 04:25 PM

i have powermaster xs on a 13:1 500 inch motor, it seems to work awesome. The powermaster starters to me look alot beefier but who knows.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 04:31 PM

I use a MSD starter on my Indy alloy motor, works great, also Meiserie works well..I had no luck with the powermaster or the factory stuff...

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 05:31 PM

I checked and double checked the alignment several times and everything checks good. I use a powerglide with an ultrabell and I thought maybe there is something not machined right in the bellhousing??? I don't know. The flywheel looked good when we had the motor out last time, I always inspect the teeth on it everytime the motor is out. Like I said I just don't know. There are so many people that say they just use the mopar factory mini starters and never have problems but I've had problems on the last two motors with them.

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/01/09 06:15 PM

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 09:50 PM

MEZIERE TS 104,best starter you will ever buy hands down.
those powermasters wont help you,
mezieres spin like youve never seen a starter spin before.
also double check your ring gear to bendix contact point and double check your timing.

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/01/09 09:56 PM

Quote:

is it bottoming out on full engagement?
JW's also have been known to be off center and need alighment

I think that it is a JW so I will check all that real close this evening when I get home. How do you align them and get them correct if they are off?
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 01:55 AM

Not all mini starters are made the same, check with a dealer. I do have a mini, works fine, but my dealer buddy picked out a specific one.

Also, an 80's 318 starter is 1/2 way between a mini and a 60's full size starter size wise.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: brktracr

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 02:59 AM

I too was breaking the Mopar mini starters, went with a Powermaster XS and haven't had a problem in 5 years now. The Meziere starter is an very excellent piece also.

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 03:14 AM

Ok I put the car on jackstands to check everything out. It is all lined up perfectly. The wear marks on the flywheel where the starter gear is making contact with it are just right also. What I found is just what I expected, the pinion is broken on the starter. You can take a screwdriver and just freewheel it both directions. Thats usually what happens to every one of them. I think I will try the Meziere or Powermaster now. One other thing....does it matter that I am using a Chevy/powerglide flywheel with a mopar starter? Just wondering if the teeth still line up correctly?? Its a JW flywheel with the adapter to bolt to my Mopar crank. Nothing out of the ordinary that anyone else uses when utilizing a powerglide but I thought I would ask to make sure....

Where is the best place to get a Meziere starter?

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 03:24 AM

Are you guys using a start retard? If so how much...10 or 20 degrees?

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/02/09 04:20 AM

Posted By: RobbMc

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 04:35 AM

Quote:

Ok I put the car on jackstands to check everything out. It is all lined up perfectly. The wear marks on the flywheel where the starter gear is making contact with it are just right also. What I found is just what I expected, the pinion is broken on the starter. You can take a screwdriver and just freewheel it both directions. Thats usually what happens to every one of them. I think I will try the Meziere or Powermaster now. One other thing....does it matter that I am using a Chevy/powerglide flywheel with a mopar starter? Just wondering if the teeth still line up correctly?? Its a JW flywheel with the adapter to bolt to my Mopar crank. Nothing out of the ordinary that anyone else uses when utilizing a powerglide but I thought I would ask to make sure....

Where is the best place to get a Meziere starter?

I'm not sure how that works. Chevy 153 and 168 tooth starter ring gears are 12/14 pitch and Mopar 130 and 143 tooth ring gears are 10 pitch. The pinion teeth are not compatible. Unless I am missing something here..........

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 01:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you guys using a start retard? If so how much...10 or 20 degrees?

no and if you are throw it away it's the reason they are breaking. it causes kickbacks

Well I had a 20 degree retard programmed into it and with this last starter I changed it to a 10 degree retard. I have heard mixed opinions about this issue so I guess I will take the retard completely out now and see how that works for me. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 06:19 PM

Are you spinning the engine then hitting the ignition?

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 06:46 PM

Quote:

Are you spinning the engine then hitting the ignition?

Not on this car. My other car is set up like that but this car still has the stock keyswitch in it. Is that harder or easier on the starter? I've always heard its easier on it but not really sure.
Posted By: hemiiroc

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 07:20 PM

Much easier to start.

Re: Good starter that will work with an Indy Maxx block.... - 06/02/09 07:28 PM

Quote:

Much easier to start.

I agree with that for sure. I hope to be able to rewire the Cuda this winter to make it that way also. I don't know if that has contributed to my starter problems or not. I'm gonna order a Meziere, Powermater, or CSR this time...I just can't decide which one to get. There good and bad opinions about all of them.
© 2024 Moparts Forums