Moparts

Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger?

Posted By: fig426

Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 01:57 AM

I have decided to leave the Hemi Challenger the way it is, not restore it, and get it up and running. I'll be rebuilding the engine, 727 and 8.75 rear and hopefully have it ready for next season.
I'm looking for ideas on the engine and trans build. Stroker is ok but the intake needs to work with a shaker hood. Everything else I'm open to.
The rear I'm just looking for tire and gear ideas. An upgrade to a Dana is not out of the question. I'm leaning towards Cal-tracs.
I don't want to cut up the car so mini tubs, weld in frame connectors, etc,,, are out of the question. It does not have a cage in it, but if there is a way to do it without mangling the car too much I will put one in if needed.
As always.... the faster the better!!
Thanks!!!!!

Attached picture 5262898-ChallengerHemi1.jpg

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 01:59 AM

Another

Attached picture 5262899-1217081632[2](2).jpg

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 02:00 AM

another 1

Attached picture 5262901-1228081736[1](2).jpg
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 02:52 AM

Just curious...I know youre trying to build a Nostagia car but has it ever been a Stock eliminator car or SS/ car in the past?

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 03:05 AM

Quote:

Just curious...I know youre trying to build a Nostagia car but has it ever been a Stock eliminator car or SS/ car in the past?

Here's a link from a post a while ago. It gives a little history. But yes, it ran SS/DA.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post3721402
Posted By: proshiftcharger

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 03:19 AM

Ok that makes sense now if it was running SS/DA it was running a hemi at that time. If my memory serves me right on the class index letters.

Well I hope you carry out your goals and it sees the track again. I dont get to many national or divisional meets anymore...but I can tell you there sure arent many Challengers running in Super Stock. As a matter of fact I personally dont know of any running in NSS around here>"PA"
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 04:30 AM

It would be good to see that car out again on the track. I saw it at the 1975 Winternationals with Jim driving it. I got to know him when he worked at Rossi transmisions and converters in Montclair,CA. He built my first 8 inch converter, neck snapping performance
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 04:43 AM

Hello
I am about ready to finish up the Hemi build for My 65. I need to order some push rods, and get my oil pan, but that's about it.
With My build, I wanted two things, plenty of power and reliability. I didn't want to have this thing apart at the end of each year, and wanted it to take some cruises to car shows etc if the need ever arise to run this thing on the street, which it will.
With the costs of good used factory blocks, if you could find one that wasnt welded on, have concrete in it, or wasnt already .060+ over you better be ready to shell out a easy $4K+.
So I went with a World Block with a 4.5 bore, which are stronger, and half the priced of used up 40 year old hand-me-downs.
I am using a Generic 4.5 stroke, for a 572 CID. I figured the long arm will help keep the RPM's realistic.
Instead of cutting back the compression to run on pump gas, which IMO compression hurts a hemi much worse in the power, and torque department than a wedge. I decided to go with 12.75-13:1 compression, run good timing were the motors like, and just use race gas, which In my area isnt much more than premium pump. I never understood why people will push the limits of pump gas compression only to sacrifice total timing to keep detonation out of the engine. Any gains seen with the extra little bit of compression would be lost pulling timing out of the engine. Anyways..
I went with the New Edelbrock Cast MP heads, which turned out awesome. I really try to concentrate extra funds in the head department. I let Jeff at Modern Cylinder head work his magic with the CNC port program. And he got some outstanding flow numbers. about 460CFM out of a stock port location head. I went with a set of DLI rocker system, which I picked up from a board member. These are Stainless roller tipped rockers, and Blue anodized stands. If you can find a set, jump on them, rocker ratio is idea, and they dont have oiling issues as some other higher priced systems do.
7.1 long Manley I beam rods, Weisco Pistons.
I had Barton spec me a custom Solid flat tapet cam, which is a monster for a flat tappet. 282@.050, and .700+ lift. I went with a set of the Howards EDM direct lube lifters, these are a AMC lifter In which I plan to have hollow push rods, with a .020 restricter and oil to the tips.
Seems it came be conman to have oiling issue's to the push rod/rocker area.
I am using a Cross ram setup with Holley's, so I cant comment on what you need in that area.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 10:23 AM

Here is my 71 Hemi Challenger back in the mid 70's as set up fot SS/D. if you look closely, you will see the shaker installed. It was running a Rat Roaster at the time and the shaker base was tweaked to run with the 'Roaster. I think a Rat roaster would be a great nostalgia item for your car, not the best there is to offer these days, but would look cool just the same.

Attached picture 5263227-hemicaratEtown003(Medium).jpg
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic hemi Challenger? - 05/31/09 10:25 AM

'nother

Attached picture 5263228-hemicaratEtown004(Medium).jpg
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 12:32 PM

I really like what you are doing. I think the rule book will dictate on how fast you want to go.11.50 and faster has to have a roll bar(not cage)and if this car has never had one...I'd be real hesitant to install one if it was my car,but I'm also for keeping history as is too.
Posted By: LSP

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 12:42 PM

PM sent

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 01:43 PM

This is a good start and thank you all for the ideas and the PM's. I'm hoping a bunch more people will jump in and comment. There is alot of knowledge on this site and believe me, I can use it!!
As for whether it will or won't get done.... It WILL be out next season. I have been chewing on this for years and I'm not restoring this one to it's assembly line look. It's definately staying a race car. Now I have to start gathering parts.
I like the idea of going with a different block. It is the numbers block now and it has been repaired once already. I also like the idea of staying slower than 11.50, just for the cage aspect, but like I said before, I'll put one in if need be. I'm also ok with going with a single 4 or dual 4 and tweaking the shaker base as needed. Some of the stuff I'd like to pick up used to shave some of the costs because I know this is not going to be cheap... intake, headers, maybe aluminum heads, and such.
As for street duty,,,, It will see the street at some point. Probably not alot, but, it will, but, that's by no means my primary concern.
Thanks everyone and keep the ideas coming!! I know alot of racers haven't chimed in yet and I hope they do.
Posted By: LSP

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 02:13 PM

If if were mine, I'd wax it up and make it look like it did back in the day, with 2 AFB's on Rat Roaster. IIRC, the car had the big center cap Keystones classic wheels all around.
Posted By: RBDuster

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 03:58 PM

Quote:

If if were mine, I'd wax it up and make it look like it did back in the day, with 2 AFB's on Rat Roaster. IIRC, the car had the big center cap Keystones classic wheels all around.

Chris:

I know where there a set of Keystones that came off the Sox & Martin Cuda. I can check to see if they are willing to part with them
Posted By: 52savoy

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 06:51 PM

I think I would set it up more as a "stocker" to keep the costs down and make it more street-able...drag radials and all

anyhoo..great car,great find!
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 07:45 PM

Chris:

I know where there a set of Keystones that came off the Sox & Martin Cuda. I can check to see if they are willing to part with them

If they are for sale and chris doesn't want them I would be interested in the Keystones for a Nostalgia Mopar project.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 05/31/09 09:53 PM

one thing for sure..that block most definatley needs to find a new home displayed on a shelf..
you talking 5 figures for a numbers matching situation..
for racing..use a new block and have fun..
save the original for a differnt situation.
i put bolt in subfram connectors for sure..
the car wont be worth anything if you twist the body up...
this part is an easy fix/change over..
the twisted up chassis will be a mess down the road.
and id seriously consider a dana..with those cubes..an 8.75 will be limited..and if it fails
you could be in the wall..
other than that..have fun...beautiful car..
best wishes.
cheapst

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 06/01/09 01:11 AM

Don, you have a PM.
I'm liking the Dana idea. Good point on the wall.
I'm also likeing the different block idea so I don't hurt the original one. So the shopping begins. How about heads? Are aluminum heads worth the expense or will the stock ones be sufficient? How about bore stroke combos, cam, etc....

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 06/03/09 05:10 AM

Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 06/03/09 01:02 PM

Nostalgia racing is a hoot. Welcome to the wars.

Aluminum heads are nice if you can swing a deal...or if you have them. Personally, I'm still running the old Iron heads I've used for many years. Power output is the same, but the aluminum does pull some weight off of the front.

I would install a bolt in type cage, to tie it together. I realize your hesitance, I was hesitant, too, when I turned mine into a race car back in 1972. I was going to turn it back into a street car one day. But, you know what? Here it is....a short thirty seven years later and it is still a race car. I don't regret it a bit.

You can put a mild motor together...run low elevens and have some fun. Use stock type parts, a small roller, the Rat Roaster, a set of SS springs, you will have a hoot.

We've been lobbying some of the organizations to somehow fit these cars into NSS racing. The hang-up is that so many of them are true bracket cars, and there has to be a way to keep them out and preserve it for true nostalgia cars. But, it will be worked out.

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 11/02/09 04:36 AM

Posted By: topside

Re: Ideas on building this nostalgic SS/DA HEMI Challenger? - 11/02/09 06:58 PM

It would be cool to put it back together as it was in SS/DA, with vintage parts. If that's what the car is famous for, and it's still in its original livery, I don't think you're "hurting" the car at all; it's arguably the best use for the car. I'd second the bolt-in subframe ties; a buddy's Hemi Cuda twisted itself like a noodle back in the day. With a 4-speed or a high-stall converter, I'd agree with the Dana60 suggestion; make the drivetrain bulletproof and enjoy it. IIRC, several West Coast guys bolted their Shakers to the underside of their hood, and got past tech. I'd probably use a repro Shaker rather than modifying an original.
© 2024 Moparts Forums