Moparts

Air Pressure Gauge

Posted By: earlymopar

Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 03:21 PM

I'm looking for a good and reasonably accurate tire pressure gauge that's not going to break the bank and will last more than a year. Purely mechanical or electronic. What are all you using that you like?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 04:27 PM

Think mine is just a MOROSO mechanical gauge...( I forget... but it is just a big Dial face gauge) Not a fan of the digital... Never needed to replace a battery on a mechanical gauge.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by earlymopar
I'm looking for a good and reasonably accurate tire pressure gauge that's not going to break the bank and will last more than a year. Purely mechanical or electronic. What are all you using that you like?

Got a gauge made by Allstar, works great, had it for years.
Lane Automotive( motor state) sells it
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing
Think mine is just a MOROSO mechanical gauge...( I forget... but it is just a big Dial face gauge) Not a fan of the digital... Never needed to replace a battery on a mechanical gauge.

x2, I've had the Moroso one forever and have been happy with it. The rubber protective case is starting to crack some but it's also easily 25 years old at this point.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 05:58 PM

i have been using a round dial gauge that has the letter M inside a red oblong circle.
it says : "precision" and Made in U.S.A. on the face which is black with white letters and pointer. it reads in .5 lb increments to 60lbs, but i don't think the .5lb scale would be particularly accurate, considering the 2"[or so] dial face and the 60lb range.
i bought several of these at the speed shop on main street way back in the mid 70's.
got three or four for me, and one each for my brother and old man. they came with a rubber "bootie" you could install or not.
all of the ones i own show the same reading on whatever tire i check, so at least they may have been calibrated using the same method when built.
beer
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 06:18 PM

I use an Intercomp digital these days. But I have two large face Moroso gauges as well.. None of those are exactly budget friendly. I have a couple friends who like their long acre ones.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 08:18 PM

I use a Dwyer DPGA-05 it's a 0-15 PSI and reads to .01 of a lb. It's accurate but it's not super cheap, around $130 for just the gage. I used an old whip from a cheap gage that lasted a year or so. I had this one around 7 years and it makes the trip every time I go down the track.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 08:51 PM

I still have the large-face 0-15 PSI Moroso I bought 25 years ago, but the problem is everything I run now are radials which require higher pressures

I picked up one of these quite a while ago: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/65035/10002/-1 and found it to be very accurate, considering I cross-checked it against two other gauges across a range of pressures and they were surprisingly consistent

The only issue was I dropped it once pretty hard and it lost its mind. I purchased another one, only this time I also got the Jeg's extended warranty for 3 years which is a simple "if it's broke, they replace it" deal for another $14; just checked and it's good for another 2 years
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/16/24 10:17 PM

My setup for track days was just a 8 dollar air chuck, a 1/4"npt tee, a couple of 1/4 nipples, a ball valve and a Winters guage. It cost like 40 bucks to put together. I was using a 0-30 gauge, but you can plug in whatever range you want.

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/17/24 12:03 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. Lots of good examples.

I have one of the mechanical gauges encased in rubber that I really have liked using. Its accurate and durable and has peak pressure plus tire tread depth gauge. The only problem is that it just started leaking pressure (won't maintain the peak pressure reading so I assume the button that releases the peak pressure is leaking). I might try placing a bit of rubber seal lubricant around the release button to see if that might help. If not, I did find an Earl's gauge set up in my brother's stuff that has bleeder and fill valves that may work as a replacement.

Thanks again.

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/17/24 04:30 PM

whatever you do, don't lend out the gauge you decide on and really like, to "just anyone". it will surly come back screwed up, or just grow legs and hike away.
keep a dollar store or wally world cheapy for lending............
i'm going to guess i'm not the only one with this policy.
beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/17/24 07:45 PM

I've had more than one low pressure good quality low air pressure gauge with the bleeder valves get ruin by loaning it out at the track, don't do that down tsk
You can offer to check their tires for them instead of loaning it out work shruggy
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/17/24 09:40 PM

I like my joes racing glow in the dark face gauge up
Posted By: twinscrew698

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/18/24 10:06 AM

Had this for 30 Plus years but was alot cheaper back then.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mli-s-516
Still have it and works fine.

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/18/24 11:15 AM

Agreed on the loaning of tools. I always try to help but by using my tools myself if at all possible.

Good suggestion TW698. I always liked that mechanical "blade" style of pressure gauge.
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/24/24 01:22 AM

napa 90379 0-20 lbs $10 find your pressure that's works best for car, then monitor with gauge, who cares if it reads 15.5 pounds and is really 16, save $30-$100

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/24/24 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 440lebaron
napa 90379 0-20 lbs $10 find your pressure that's works best for car, then monitor with gauge, who cares if it reads 15.5 pounds and is really 16, save $30-$100

this advice right here. ^^^^^^^^^^ iagree
as almost no one "calibrates" their air pressure gauges, a quality gauge that repeats constantly will work perfectly well. pick what pressure works the best FOR YOU, then use the gauge you like and use it ONLY. the same deal applies to not lend out the gauge you use on YOUR vehicle.
beer
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/24/24 04:44 PM

I have always used Longacre tire pressure gauges.

Always check yours with a known good one to start every year.

I have a friend that races go carts, check mine to his big $$$ gauge that is calibrated yearly. They are super picky about tire pressures.
Posted By: topside

Re: Air Pressure Gauge - 04/24/24 05:31 PM

Whatever gauge you use, and I'll admit this is near the edge of paranoia:
Use the same gauge for your race tires every time, as long as it's working reliably, of course.
As for lending ? I don't recall problems, but typically the tools I take to the track are the second-string stuff.
The thinking being that the car should be Right before you go, with only tweaking or maybe an emergency repair on-site.
That said, back in the Vintage TransAm days, we loaded damn near everything in the trailer - on those deals, you might be doing a lot more work.
© 2024 Moparts Forums