Moparts

line lock and proportioning valve location

Posted By: Stanton

line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/06/24 03:47 PM

The attached photo is a pretty tidy install but I can't tell where the specific lines run. If this is your car, can you please post another photo or two of the line routing into the linelock and prop valve.

Anyone else with tidy installs is also welcome to post. I'm trying to not mount anything on the sheet metal (firewall or inner fenders) or frame rails.

Attached picture MCPropLine (2018_02_09 15_36_29 UTC).gif
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/06/24 05:34 PM

I'm not interely clear as to what you're asking, but proprtioning valve goes to the rear tires. It limits maximum pressure to help prevent lock-up in a panic or hard brake.
Line lock traditionally goes to the front tires.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/06/24 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Moparteacher
I'm not interely clear as to what you're asking, but proprtioning valve goes to the rear tires. It limits maximum pressure to help prevent lock-up in a panic or hard brake.
Line lock traditionally goes to the front tires.
iagree up OP work up wrench up
Usually the rear port is for the disc brakes, the front for the rears. Their should be no 10lb. residual pressure check valve in the disc brake port scope wrench

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/07/24 03:19 PM

I thought I was pretty clear ... that I want to see how he ran his lines. I'm well aware of what goes where.

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/07/24 04:34 PM

Pretty sure thats Sean, HardcoreB's car...
Posted By: 76Beeper

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/08/24 04:22 PM

I mounted mine on the other side of the proportioning valve (used the existing mount).

Attached picture May 25 (11).jpg

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/08/24 07:53 PM

I'm trying to not mount anything on the sheet metal (firewall or inner fenders) or frame rails.
Posted By: rumblefish72

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/09/24 02:51 AM

Here's where I mounted the proportioning valve:

Attached picture ProportioningValveLocation.jpg

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/09/24 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
I'm trying to not mount anything on the sheet metal (firewall or inner fenders) or frame rails.
Why? work shruggy

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/09/24 12:26 PM

Because I can !!

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/09/24 05:09 PM

Because I can !!
up Only in America grin work stirthepot whistling
Posted By: topside

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/09/24 05:17 PM

I totally get NOT drilling holes to mount stuff - I'm generally loath to do that myself.
Race cars are a different matter, but even then I try to avoid it.
I have drilled holes in race cars when serviceability dictate them and the car will never be restored to stock, but not on my street/restored/minty stuff.
That photo shows an elegant & compact installation.

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 01:00 AM

Well, I don’t live in America. And I hate drilling holes in a panel today only to have technology change and have to drill new holes next week! Not that a line loc or prop valve is likely to change any time soon but you get my drift. And I just spent WAY too much on paint and bodywork to start drilling holes in it !!

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 10:19 AM

No insult meant about living here in America blush
Planning and prefabbing help prevent unwanted holes and changes later after you get upset about where a race part is mounted, I mounted my aftermarket purporting valve in the brake line going to the rear end under the floorboards around the tranny crossmember
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 10:44 AM

Sorry I haven't logged-in to notice this post. I used an offset master mount plate I believe from AndyF? Then I made this plate to mount the prop valve and line-loc. I'll get more pics if they help but currently this is all I have...https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/358717/filename/20170122_000346.jpg

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 11:00 AM

Tried to link the pic which is on the first page of the thread I made called 'Build Share' in the members projects section. That MC has transverse thru holes which I used for long g8 1/4x28 bolts which mount the plate I made after laying out the packaging to accommodate the tightest bends using hard line. I already had my headers made and engine permanently mounted so I routed the lines respectively. I used the factory frame tabs for the front lines and then ran -3 braided Earls to the calipers.

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 11:02 AM

Well, I don’t live in America. And I hate drilling holes in a panel today only to have technology change and have to drill new holes next week! Not that a line loc or prop valve is likely to change any time soon but you get my drift. And I just spent WAY too much on paint and bodywork to start drilling holes in it !!
I did this for all those reasons AND if there's a leak at a connection...it'll be away from the paint.

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 01:27 PM

In the photo on the link it looks like the prop valve is plumbed into the line loc. so are you using the prop valve on the front brakes or the line loc on the rear ??

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 02:12 PM

In the photo on the link it looks like the prop valve is plumbed into the line loc. so are you using the prop valve on the front brakes or the line loc on the rear ??

Rear port MC to prop valve IN. Prop OUT to line-loc IN. Line-loc OUTLETS to front brakes.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 06:18 PM

My p valve is just right of the M/C

Attached picture valpvalve.jpg

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/10/24 06:19 PM

My line lock is on lower frame rail , look right below the roll bar tube

Attached picture vallinelock.jpg

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 03:13 AM

You’ve got your prop valve plumbed into your front brakes !!

The rear reservoir in the m/c is for the front brakes.

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 03:20 AM

Rear port MC to prop valve IN. Prop OUT to line-loc IN. Line-loc OUTLETS to front brakes.

Prop valve should be on rear brakes. No ???

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 10:42 AM

Plate pic. I made the spacing long enough that i could turn the front outlet line behind this plate.

Attached picture mcLLp.JPG

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 10:59 AM

Followed the line down to the caliper for ya.

Attached picture DfB.JPG

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 11:11 AM

The line to the pass side is 'anchored' at a point mid-engine and again along the pass frame rail. I put a piece of rubber hose on the line to bridge it off the firewall and bent the line so it wants to touch the firewall without the hose/insulator.

Attached picture PfB.JPG

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 01:24 PM

You’ve got your prop valve plumbed into your front brakes !!

The rear reservoir in the m/c is for the front brakes.

ok
Posted By: BloFish

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 04:15 PM

If it is a track specific only car with front runners and an aftermarket master, it should be in the front. Think about the braking ability of front runners versus slicks/radials. Just my .02
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 04:55 PM

FWIW I never use a prop valve just buy the correct master cylinder to begin with......

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 05:02 PM

I didn't feel like arguing about so I just agreed, and only reason I put one on is its a cool old ( nos) direct connection one .. driven the car, seems to work fine

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
I didn't feel like arguing about so I just agreed, and only reason I put one on is its a cool old ( nos) direct connection one .. driven the car, seems to work fine

I wasn’t looking for an argument, just an explanation. Everything you read says it should go in the rear brake line. If you’re only installing it “for looks” then I suppose it doesn’t matter. A few years ago a guy brought a nicely restored ‘69 GTX into my buddy’s shop to have him install a line lock - in a very specific place - solely because he thought it would give the car some credibility - he wasn’t shy about admitting he’d never use it !!
Posted By: Gabby63

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/11/24 09:51 PM

Hardcore , will /or did you add a heat shield under your M/C & brake lines- line loc ? May just be the pic but looks close . And a super way to mount as well !! Thanks Gary

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/12/24 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by BloFish
If it is a track specific only car with front runners and an aftermarket master, it should be in the front. Think about the braking ability of front runners versus slicks/radials. Just my .02

This was the theory that I built my system around.

Re: line lock and proportioning valve location - 04/12/24 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gabby63
Hardcore , will /or did you add a heat shield under your M/C & brake lines- line loc ? May just be the pic but looks close . And a super way to mount as well !! Thanks Gary

The routing is close enough that, if I had a daily driver, I MAY have rerouted the lines. My car has no inner fenders and underhood air is pretty free circulating. I know of a few cars that see street duty that have routing much closer but, use your own discretion. With all this said, the lines are not as close as the pics probably show. I appreciate the compliment and I'm racking my brain to remember if I stole the idea or created it. This is one reason I share with pics and details what I have done because I recognize that many others were before me. Another is to be open to alternative suggestions or ideas.
© 2024 Moparts Forums