Moparts

thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ?

Posted By: moparx

thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/04/24 04:27 PM

was thinking on swapping out the usual bolts for studs while swapping the MP chrome pan for a cast aluminum pan.
however, the "stud kits" i have seen are just long 5/16x18 set screws. i would much rather prefer the 5/16x18 to 5/16x24 style studs, then use 5/16x24 serrated flange nuts to secure the cast pan.
thoughts/opinions, pros/cons on this ?
TIA ! up
beer
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/04/24 04:37 PM

I have only ever used bolts. But those castings can easily be stripped, so studs sound like a nice touch to me.
Everything you said about the serrated nuts sounds good also, since the gasket should NOT be over torqued.
Might be a little overkill, but I can't knock it.

If you want to spend the money on ARP studs, be my guest. But simple coarse threads with common serrated flanged nuts should be just fine, IMO.
Check around the shifter area. If the cable bracket mounts to the pan, there might be a reason to use bolts for maintenance/space reasons. shruggy
And if the pan has an internal baffle around the filter, the pan might not drop down far enough to clear the studs without moving rearward. Measure twice...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/04/24 04:44 PM

I'm using 5/16 set screws along with the serrated nuts on my all aluminum KB wedge motor oil pan fasteners on the aluminum Charlies oil pan up
I hope they hold up okay luck shruggy
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/04/24 09:38 PM

I don't think studs should pose any problems. Check AuVeCo and see what they offer.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/05/24 01:46 AM

Don't over think it. It's just trans pan fasteners.

If the 5/16-18 bolts worked on millions of torqflites, why worry about 5/16-24 now?
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/05/24 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
was thinking on swapping out the usual bolts for studs while swapping the MP chrome pan for a cast aluminum pan.
however, the "stud kits" i have seen are just long 5/16x18 set screws. i would much rather prefer the 5/16x18 to 5/16x24 style studs, then use 5/16x24 serrated flange nuts to secure the cast pan.
thoughts/opinions, pros/cons on this ?
TIA ! up
beer

This would be my preference also...if I were to stud a Transmission pan
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/05/24 02:48 PM

I have my pan studed with ARP studs. 50+ year old cases. It does help from stripping any case threads.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/05/24 04:01 PM

The problem I had with studding the oil pan was that trying to remove the pan while in the car. The front of the pan near the K frame could not drop down far enough to clear the studs,so I had to use bolts in the front by the K frame and studs for the rest of the pan. Some cars may have more clearance than others.
Posted By: racerx

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/05/24 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by OUTLAWSSAA
The problem I had with studding the oil pan was that trying to remove the pan while in the car. The front of the pan near the K frame could not drop down far enough to clear the studs,so I had to use bolts in the front by the K frame and studs for the rest of the pan. Some cars may have more clearance than others.

iagreeX2 on the pan studs but i have an aftermarket K.I will be replacing the studs with bolts.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/06/24 01:54 AM

You need to buy 4 shorter studs or set screws to allow the nuts to come off easily up scope wrench twocents
I have used nuts on the threaded long ends above the block to lock and hold them in place scope up
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/06/24 03:26 AM

Since we are talking about transmission pans and using studs in the case, or not...

studs would be okay, but I typically Heli-coil all the holes, before they get striped. And use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. You're not going to damage the case using the proper tools and torque specs.
Posted By: moparx

Re: thoughts on 727 transmission pan studs ? - 04/06/24 05:44 PM

any thoughts about using blue loc-tite on the studs or set screws in the transmission case ?
i would heli-coil the case, but the transmission is still in the car.
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums