Moparts

type F transmission fluid ??

Posted By: moparx

type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 05:53 PM

around here, there doesn't seem to be a source for type F fluid, not even at the two local wally worlds.
on line, it seems that stuff goes for $7.00-9.00 per quart. eek
so what is the go to stuff these days ?
hydraulic fluid or ????
i really don't want to use type 4 or generic/universal ATF.
beer
Posted By: rickraw

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 06:23 PM

I get amalie type f on Amazon
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 06:45 PM

I have switched to Transynd fluid in all my stuff. BEen running it for a couple of years and still looks new. It is the Allison trans fluid used in Medium trucks, motohomes etc.
Posted By: racerx

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 09:25 PM

iagree....it's getting hard to find here(St.Lou)it's hit and mis here. shruggy
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 09:38 PM

Rural king had a lot of it last time I was there.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
I have switched to Transynd fluid in all my stuff. BEen running it for a couple of years and still looks new. It is the Allison trans fluid used in Medium trucks, motohomes etc.

Application
Castrol TranSynd can be recommended for all vehicles calling for Dexron III/Mercon or Allison TES 295 and TES 468 ATF's
suitable for bus and refuse vehicles with automatic transmissions.

Garbage trucks?

That TranSynd is about $50 /gal. Almost triple the cost of Dexron III/Mercon that it replaces. Does it say B&M Trick Shift on it?
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 09:51 PM

Advance has it ( by me anyhow ) $9.79 a quart in stock , I just bought some a few weeks ago.. they had to order it for me last time as they didn't stock it .
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 10:18 PM

It’s also used in class 8 big rigs, I bought many thousands of gallons during my time building Kenworths.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/02/24 11:30 PM

Rockauto has it, shipping cost would depend on where you are. There aren't any savings shipping a lot of stuff into Canada, I know that.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 4.25.38 PM.png
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 01:00 AM

O Reilly’s always have it around here. Never had an issue getting it other places either.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 01:11 AM

That’s all I use.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 01:10 PM

I use the Walmart brand type F. The store usually has some in stock if not I order it from Walmart online and have it delivered.
Posted By: sr4440

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 01:35 PM

Ditto, That stuff is worth every penny.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 04:18 PM

You all can take it for what it is worth, but I moved away from Type F when it started getting scarce and expensive in my Glide and went to the Valvoline universal full synthetic you can buy at any Walmart for $20-25 a gallon.

2860 lbs 800+ hp and beat for 3 years at 200 passes a year, and when I pull the trans apart to look it over this week I will reuse the band and clutches. Which are a lot older than that.

Works great in my old Duster with a 904 in it too.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 04:23 PM

thanks fellows ! bow
i never thought about rock auto.
i'll have to check wally world on line and see about that as well.
i was thinking about using a type of hydraulic fluid, but i didn't get that far.
looks like i have homework to do..........
beer
Posted By: GY3

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
I use the Walmart brand type F. The store usually has some in stock if not I order it from Walmart online and have it delivered.

I was just getting ready post this.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 06:01 PM

My Wally world and parts stores in my area always seem to keep a few quarts of F on hand and everytime I had to run all over creation gathering up enough.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 07:57 PM

If you are stuck on Type F Walmart generall always has it.

As for the Transynd it keeps my stuff much cooler than anything else I have ever used. And if you run a car on a stop they tend to put some heat in the trans. If oyu want to run B&M colored type F go for it. Ill stick with what has worked best for me. And I have been through a lot of cars and combos over the years.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/03/24 10:15 PM

When I mentioned the B&M blue Stuff i was being sarcastic. Guess I should have put a smiley on there. Nobody I know has used that snake oil for about 50 years.
If the TranSynd runs significantly cooler then that would be worth paying for. Does it affect stall speed, et or consistency?
Posted By: bee1971

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 02:45 AM

Type F

$4.49 at my local Fleet Farm

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by bee1971
Type F

$4.49 at my local Fleet Farm

I told him about our local Rural King but it sounds like he would rather pay shipping
Posted By: Leigh

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 03:50 AM

As long as the chosen fluid eliminates friction, you’re good to go.
Posted By: tvt59

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 02:22 PM

We use ATI 20w type F. Works good for us.
Posted By: Mopar.70

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
When I mentioned the B&M blue Stuff i was being sarcastic. Guess I should have put a smiley on there. Nobody I know has used that snake oil for about 50 years.
If the TranSynd runs significantly cooler then that would be worth paying for. Does it affect stall speed, et or consistency?

Curious on the negative on this one. So I was instructed to use a mineral F in my race 727 and ended up picking this stuff. Used it last season, no issues but being first year out with the car I only got about 25 passes in. But no shift problems and no heat issues. I have a gage on the trans, thought it didn't work until one night I went a few rounds and it registered on the gage but never over 160.

In my street car I use the ATI 20w previosuly mentioned as well. This has been one of the things that has drove me crazy as of late since the stuff that was orignally spec'ed for these is no longer available.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 05:12 PM

I buy it as cart filler from Summit...If I need to get over the free shipping threshold, Type F, spark plugs ,etc...
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 05:52 PM

I recently switched to the ATI Super F 20W - great stuff! - its a full synthetic

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 08:03 PM

FWIW I ran the ATI fluid prior to switching to Transynd in my Top Sportsman car
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 08:13 PM

I run type F in 3 of my cars once they were new build transmissions. Still have Mercon in the others.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar.70
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

Curious on the negative on this one. So I was instructed to use a mineral F in my race 727 and ended up picking this stuff. Used it last season, no issues but being first year out with the car I only got about 25 passes in. But no shift problems and no heat issues. I have a gage on the trans, thought it didn't work until one night I went a few rounds and it registered on the gage but never over 160.

In my street car I use the ATI 20w previosuly mentioned as well. This has been one of the things that has drove me crazy as of late since the stuff that was orignally spec'ed for these is no longer available.

Not really a negative, more like a don't waste your money on the B&M. It is simply mineral type F with blue dye for a lot more money. I am sure it works as well as any other type F. Type F has been the go-to for decades until the synthetics showed up.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/04/24 09:57 PM

I have some quarts B&M Trick shift fluid will sell for a reasonable price.

Attached picture B&M.jpg
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/05/24 01:44 AM

I'm interested in the Transynd, stuff, Performance plus has their own version of this. Thinking I should do this on the new transmission in my truck, I'll run it by the torque converter manufacturer since
I have to send my converter back for some alterations.

Safety kleen has branches everywhere.

https://store.safety-kleen.com/perf...-295-tes-389-1-single-5-gallon-pail.html

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/05/24 03:47 PM

thanks all. up
a couple of days ago, i ordered 24 quarts from rock auto.
with tax and shipping, along with the 5% discount coupon, it came out to $4.41 per quart.
beer
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/05/24 04:32 PM

Wow !! I should have checked on here first ! I clearly got ripped off by Advance at $9.79 a quart !!! I thought about trying ATI or another type fluid but my 904 has been in my mid 11 second Dart for 7 years now using type F without a problem . My trans builder built me a complete race ready spare 904 a few years ago , I haven't needed it ! So either the type F works well or I have a really good trans builder... I do !

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/05/24 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
thanks all. up
with tax and shipping, along with the 5% discount coupon, it came out to $4.41 per quart.
beer

Which Brand fluid did you decide??
Posted By: dvw

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 12:18 AM

If your not running a trans brake. If you have a reasonably sized cooler. If your trans was assembled with correct clearance. Then any fluid will work.
Doug
Posted By: volaredon

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 12:58 AM

and to think I had a little bit of a tough time selling 30-some cases of type F, from back in the day when oil cans took pop in spouts to open the cans.... that I got at an auction about a year ago......... a collector guy bought all I had, came to Illinois from Lincoln NE to haul it out his way....
bought 3 pallets of various oils, to get about 2 rows of what was on 1 pallet.... ATF type 3... (yeah I know not +4, but Im sick of paying $8.50-11.00 a freaking quart for it.... ) every time I change a trans it's over $100 JUST FOR FLUID.
and ended up all of what I thought I was getting "disappeared" between the time teh auction was listed and the time I bid on it.... I ended up with 1 case of what I wanted... but a dozen cases of "stuff I can use".... still came out alright.
But yes I started out with 38 cases (of 12, not todays wimpy cases of 6) of Type F.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
If your not running a trans brake. If you have a reasonably sized cooler. If your trans was assembled with correct clearance. Then any fluid will work.
Doug

Doug, what brand would you recommend for a tranny that has a break/race clutches/aluminum drums that Rock auto sells?
Posted By: dvw

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by racerx
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

Doug, what brand would you recommend for a tranny that has a break/race clutches/aluminum drums that Rock auto sells?

I currently run JR1 synthetic. But in the past I’ve run Walmart Dexron with zero issues.
Doug

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

I currently run JR1 synthetic. But in the past I’ve run Walmart Dexron with zero issues.
Doug

I had an issue with a flaired out bolt hole for the pump on my powerglide case several years ago. It was bleeding through and engaging my servo and wiping out my band. I was running Walmart brand Dextron 3 at the time because it was so easy to get and boy did the smell of it give me trouble. It has a smell to it like burnt clutches and made trouble shooting it hard. That’s the main reason I went back to type F.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 05:21 PM

thanks all. up
beer

the cheapy, Max1.
beer

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 06:59 PM

thanks all. up
beer

the cheapy, Max1.
beer

up

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/06/24 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by dvw
Originally Posted by dvw
Doug

Doug

up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/12/24 12:48 PM

I use Type F. For the abuse my transmission has seen (4 digit HP in a nearly 2 ton car), it's been great.
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/12/24 02:45 PM

I have been using Jeg's brand "quick shift". I am sure it is just Type F private labeled for Jeg's.
I get it in one gallon jugs for an ok price when I have a discount code and free shipping. My local part stores either do not have anything but synthetic, OR only stock 1 qt or 2 quarts of fluid on the shelves anymore. Who the heck only uses 1 or 2 quarts of trans fluid?

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/12/24 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 19swinger70
I have been using Jeg's brand "quick shift". I am sure it is just Type F private labeled for Jeg's.
I get it in one gallon jugs for an ok price when I have a discount code and free shipping. My local part stores either do not have anything but synthetic, OR only stock 1 qt or 2 quarts of fluid on the shelves anymore. Who the heck only uses 1 or 2 quarts of trans fluid?

I guess the quarts are just there for topping off. They want you to buy $$ synthetic for fill ups. Same thing for engine oil. The only conventional engine oil at the local O'Reilly's is quarts of their store brand. And forget VR1. They only ever have 20W50. I don't own a blown dragster.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/12/24 05:03 PM

Don't no what this world is coming to, but it's getting difficult to find conventional 10w30-40 motor oil now days. shruggy
Posted By: 4mopower

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/19/24 09:47 AM

Has anyone tried this product "Lucas Semi-Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Sure Shift"
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10166#overview
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/19/24 02:44 PM

where is the best place to order transynd? EDIT & is there different types of it (which is best?).

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/19/24 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
where is the best place to order transynd? EDIT & is there different types of it (which is best?).

As much as I hate to say this I just use Amazon. Has always been the least expensive place for me and we don't pay shipping. Just one Transynd 668. You can get it through Oreilly or probably any parts store as well.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/22/24 06:15 AM

I run B&M Trick Shift. Yes overpriced but it works well.

Re: type F transmission fluid ?? - 03/22/24 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by CrAzYMoPaRGuY
I run B&M Trick Shift. Yes overpriced but it works well.

The only one being tricked is YOU. Lol 😂
© 2024 Moparts Forums