Moparts

Fuel pump for E85

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Fuel pump for E85 - 02/18/24 08:50 PM

I'm doing the switch to E85 this year and I'm changing a few things on my fuel system like pump,filter,lines,regulator etc... Now I know people out there say I don't need to change anything and then there is the camp that says change it all. My current system is a Holley blue with a Quick Fuel dead head regulator.

Gus beer
Posted By: racerx

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/18/24 09:06 PM

Aeromotive is a good pump twocents been running one for 10 years now.

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/18/24 10:36 PM

I have a couple of pumps I picked up over the past year that I thought might work for the increased volume. One is a BG 280 and a Holley HP 125. The Holley is supposed to be quiet with the new design rotors.
This is a street/strip deal so I plan on using a bypass regulator with the increased volume of the pump. The BG seems a little overkill for my deal but as long as I have a return it shouldn't be an issue.

Gus beer

Attached picture holley pump.jpg
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/19/24 08:17 PM

I ran a Holley Blue pump in this car for years with no problems. 496 stroker on E85. 6.4 1/8 mile.

Attached picture IMG_0175.jpeg

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/20/24 03:36 AM

Thanks
I was going to give it a go with the fuel system that is already on it with the AFR hooked up to dial the carb in. I don't like to change a bunch of fuel system parts all at once. I'm hoping the carb will be close as it was built Mark Sullens for a 500" Ford Fairlane about the same weight as my car.

Gus beer

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/20/24 05:17 AM

I ran a quick fuel 850 D85 carb. Tune using the lambda scale. It’s been a while but if my memory is right I tuned it to 85%
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/20/24 08:25 AM

Magna Fuel 275 GPH with a 80 micron pre pump fuel filter and a 10 micron filter between the pump and carb for E85 up
I could jet that set up fat enough to slow the car down work up
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/21/24 01:18 AM

I'd get a good compatible filter on both ends of the pump and let it eat until it gives you issues. I've wasted more money fixing problems that never existed than I care to share, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/21/24 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet
I'd get a good compatible filter on both ends of the pump and let it eat until it gives you issues. I've wasted more money fixing problems that never existed than I care to share, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Yes I team filters on both sides of pump. No

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/22/24 01:23 AM

I have a 100 micron before the pump and a 40 after the pump with my current system with -10 from the cell to the pump and 1/2" aluminum hard line up to the regulator. My plan is to run another 1/2" line for the return back to the tank from the bypass regulator.
Thanks for the input I'm looking forward to the new fuel. I really don't see any downside to switching over.

Gus beer
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/22/24 01:53 PM

So a few down sides- no paper element fuel filter material, SS only. Upgrade to better "RUBBER", that would be a teflon type line. and most importantly if you are using a carb, make heat fast in the motor. Cold temps 50*F or less will not let the alcohol vaporize fast enough to prevent cylinder wall wash down. I learned they facts when building a street 500HP set up. I solved many a start up and shut down issues by having a 1 gallon fuel cell with straight gasoline. Used it for startup and shut down. You can never get rid of the e85 by just shutting off the fuel pump and run the system dry. There is always fuel in the bowls afterwards. 10 to 15% fuel will slowly gunk the carb. e85 is worse. Sta- Bil and Lucas top cylinder/fuel injection cleaner in the fuel is a big help with maintenance issues with any alcohol/gasoline ratio.

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/22/24 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by A/MP
So a few down sides- no paper element fuel filter material, SS only. Upgrade to better "RUBBER", that would be a teflon type line. and most importantly if you are using a carb, make heat fast in the motor. Cold temps 50*F or less will not let the alcohol vaporize fast enough to prevent cylinder wall wash down. I learned they facts when building a street 500HP set up. I solved many a start up and shut down issues by having a 1 gallon fuel cell with straight gasoline. Used it for startup and shut down. You can never get rid of the e85 by just shutting off the fuel pump and run the system dry. There is always fuel in the bowls afterwards. 10 to 15% fuel will slowly gunk the carb. e85 is worse. Sta- Bil and Lucas top cylinder/fuel injection cleaner in the fuel is a big help with maintenance issues with any alcohol/gasoline ratio.

Hmm... so a small fuel cell, a couple of ball valves, another $150 in fittings for a secondary fuel system for cold start and clean shutdown. Sounds like a good idea that would add another $450 to the conversion. I have to look for a 3 port diverter valve so I don't have to plumb 2 valves that would save some dough and potential leak points. I keep my garage around 55 degrees all year but I do need to move it out when it's cold outside so it might be a worthwhile setup.
Thanks for the tip.

Gus beer

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/22/24 07:14 PM

I found this hydraulic valve that should be okay for fuel shruggy
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BC6SG2?asc_source=01HFY6QA7Q8N1TT2Z879WGSZ46&tag=snx79-20

Re: Fuel pump for E85 - 02/24/24 12:03 AM

Well there is a flaw with the extra fuel cell deal. It will work if you are using a deadhead regulator but the bypass will fill the E85 cell with regular fuel. I think I will just do the deal like I planned it out.

Thanks

Gus beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums