Moparts

Oliver rods

Posted By: T-bar

Oliver rods - 01/21/24 05:44 AM

I spun a big end bearing on 1 of my Oliver rods so who would be the best to buy a new one from please?
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Oliver rods - 01/21/24 08:10 AM

Competition products stocks Oliver rods. I'm not sure about getting a single.

https://www.competitionproducts.com/
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Oliver rods - 01/21/24 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by T-bar
I spun a big end bearing on 1 of my Oliver rods so who would be the best to buy a new one from please?

How bad did it get hurt? That’s a pretty tough rod. I’ve turned them blue, replaced the bolts, resized them and put them right back in.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Oliver rods - 01/21/24 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by madscientist

How bad did it get hurt? That’s a pretty tough rod. I’ve turned them blue, replaced the bolts, resized them and put them right back in.
Without Magina fluxing them for cracks first? tsk
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Oliver rods - 01/21/24 11:41 PM

Oliver will make and sell just one replacement rod if necessary. You would need to give them the order number off of the rod and big end and small end weights, if any different from what they originally manufactured.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Oliver rods - 01/22/24 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by madscientist

Without Magina fluxing them for cracks first? tsk

Nope. No need to. I turned them blue, I didn’t kill them. If I thought it needed it I would have.
Posted By: T-bar

Re: Oliver rods - 01/22/24 06:08 AM

The cap is blue but the rod isn't. We haven't got it fully apart yet and checked everything but i will definitely side on caution with reusing it.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Oliver rods - 01/22/24 06:51 AM

Send it to Oliver and have them check it out. They'll either tell you it is okay or they'll make a replacement. You would need a hardness checker to tell if it has lost strength. Engine shops typically don't have hardness checkers, you would have to go to an engineering test lab for that. The big end is usually distorted when the rod turns blue and the bolts usually need to be replaced. The rod may or may not be fine, all depends how hot it got.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Oliver rods - 01/22/24 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Send it to Oliver and have them check it out. They'll either tell you it is okay or they'll make a replacement. You would need a hardness checker to tell if it has lost strength. Engine shops typically don't have hardness checkers, you would have to go to an engineering test lab for that. The big end is usually distorted when the rod turns blue and the bolts usually need to be replaced. The rod may or may not be fine, all depends how hot it got.

iagree Oliver is great to deal with. Send it back to them and let them advise you on the best route to take.
© 2024 Moparts Forums