Moparts

Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar?

Posted By: Streetwize

Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/16/24 04:24 PM

I know that Mike Jones (Who is local to me in NC) made at least one cam for AndyF, I've heard a lot of good things about his grinds (andy seemed pretty pleased I think his was a 260/266 @ .050 Solid roller) and I'm considering a slightly milder cam for my 517 Low Deck but throw a little spray at it.

It looks like what he spec'ed for me may actually be an LS3 lobe and that may be based simply on the fact that the flow numbers I gave him for my Chapman stage VI's are very similar to an Aftermarket LS3 head. I've been really happy with Bullet, Ultradyne and Comp over the years but I think it would be good to support a local NC business.

Just wondering who else has any real world experience with him.

Thanks!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/16/24 05:00 PM

I've talked to a few Mopar guys who have worked with Mike on cams. His customer service tends to be really spotty. Sometimes he is quick to answer the phone and other times he can't be found. He does seem to be pretty good about picking the correct lobe for the application. I first used him in my 514 dyno mule and he talked me into putting some rocker ratio into the engine. His point was that Mopar guys get used to 1.50 rocker ratio and they just give away a bunch of advantage to the BBC engines. I decided to try it so I stepped up to some Jesel 1.80 rocker arms and the engine picked up a ton of power. After that I switched to Comp lobes and worked with Dwayne for the specs. But for that engine, with those heads, the rocker arm ratio was the trick.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/16/24 05:11 PM

I asked about his cams a while back b/c I'd never heard of him. His cams were over double the price of a custom from Dwayne/Comp...if I recall correctly.
I was told he's pretty secretive about his grinds, didn't want any specs given out, etc. How true that is, I don't know.
I was immediately turned off by the price.
Plus I've been so happy w/ every grind Dwayne has spec'd for me...no reason to change. up
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/16/24 05:11 PM

I bought one, but ended up selling it before trying it out. Went with the cam Dwayne Porter spec'd & sourced for me, instead. The two cams were pretty different (the Jones cam was smaller) and I'm not sure how they would have compared in performance.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/16/24 06:13 PM

I believe gregsdart runs one in his bracket race BB.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/16/24 11:19 PM

I have always just ordered my own custom grinds. Always happy with the results thus far.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by fast68plym heouth
I believe gregsdart runs one in his bracket race BB.

Yes. Inverted flank, .510 lobe, 284 duration at .050 intake, .020 lash with a Jesel 1.7 rocker. Not sure how many grinders now have the ability to grind an inverted flank, and i decided to try it. Exhaust side is 296 @ .050, .019 lash, LSA Is 113. The NET valve lift is .848 intake, .798 exhaust. With the tight lash and high rocker ratio, overlap gets pretty healthy, i am sure. Best peak horsepower of 982 hp was at 110.5 installed and 7600 rpm , but 108 centerline gave gave an increase of horsepower in the midrange of 6200 to 7600, but peak power dropped by 5. This same cam made 926 hp with 440-1 heads and an iron block, all else being the same .
The 982 hp combo is 549 cubes, aluminum BMP block, 15/1 compression, .9mm rings, methanol with Terminater, Wilson ported 3x intake,
572-13 cnc 385 heads.
The 440-1 headed combo, 2.30 intake valves, 550 cubes iron megablock, 15/1 compression, same intake.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 05:23 AM

We are planning to have Mike grind us a custom cam for our land speed car. It is an oddball vintage engine, so no off the shelf cams or even cores are available. Mike says he can do it. So far, the communication with him has been very brief, he sounds very busy. But he gets back to me within a day or 2. I've only herd good about his cams.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 10:49 AM

Ok Joel spill your guts. What car, what motor????
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 12:26 PM

We've got three cams from him for Gen 3 Hemi's. All worked well. And yes, the local proximity is nice.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 02:20 PM

I bought one for a 540 I built for my NSS car several years ago. Very happy with it. My issue was my engine would run hard but on the big end in the 1/4 mile it made a lot of noise it just did not seem to accelerate a lot, the Jones cam fixed that. Call and ask about his special lobe design that makes the valvetrain more stable.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 03:20 PM

I put a Jones solid roller in my 511 back in 2014. It made the power we expect3d to and wprked excellent on nitrous.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 03:24 PM

He is grinding me a flat tappet for my R5 motor can’t wait to see how it works
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/17/24 07:47 PM

Never used his stuff in a Chrysler but back in 2003 we tested a custom Jones cam against a custom Cam Motion cam. Both got the exact same specs to build from. The Jones cam got its doors blown off everywhere in the curve. And it wasn’t close. To hear Jones talk would make one think if you aren’t using his lobes you won’t be competitive because his stuff is that far superior.

I don’t believe it. Now, if someone wants to write the checks I’ll test it again, but I’m not paying for it.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/19/24 03:37 PM

One thing I’m quite sure all cam grinders share……..

-Someone thinks they’re the “best”

-Someone thinks a different grinder is better
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Has anybody run a Mike Jones roller cam in their Mopar? - 01/19/24 04:51 PM

I'm pretty sure that these days Comp has the best technology and grinding equipment. They probably have the best selection of lobes too. It can be a little difficult for a guy off the street to get good tech advice from Comp which is why a lot of guys call up the smaller places.
© 2024 Moparts Forums