Moparts

This form of racing is silly

Posted By: bigdad

This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 03:30 PM

I know, to each his own but ,

Attached picture stupid.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 03:44 PM

A race is a race, it’s a human thing. About the same as racing lawn mowers.
Posted By: topside

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 04:09 PM

Certainly not aesthetic. "Fugly" under-describes it.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 04:37 PM

Well when you’ve wrecked every fox body in a 3 county area parts is a little hard to come by…..
Posted By: dvw

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 04:52 PM

Nobody ever complained when the pulled the fenders off a Model A. I agree it's ugly. But these guys are suspension experts. I equate it to dirt track ovals. It's all about the hook. If you bang it up that's the way it is. What surprises me is that some of the cars are actually pretty nice.
Doug
Posted By: blue_stocker

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 04:59 PM

Come on guys, it just falls in behind the 'patina' look! Hahaha...
Posted By: Stanton

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 05:02 PM

Not a whole lot different than what Fetus McFarland runs and he has a huge following !
Posted By: GY3

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 05:22 PM

I like watching these races but choose not to participate.

Guys like the Hoskinsons on SRC Channel and Ryan Mitchell with the KC Maxx Firebird manage to outperform most everyone else consistently. It's impressive to see what they can do on a minimal surface.

I do hate the no front clip look, though, but most of those guys never win. In fact, other than Beater Bomb, Fox bodies don't win as often as they should for being the "ideal platform". Oh yeah, Beer Money too! That thing is such a sh*tbox! When you use a gradeschool pencil box to mount the switches...Lol!
Posted By: moparx

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 05:26 PM

wonder what kind of slip joint is used on the column shaft to rack ?
beer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
I know, to each his own but ,

Only in America, huh puke down twocents
Is that a track in Mexico or South America whistling stirthepot devil
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 07:28 PM

There have been LOTS of "funny" looking cars to grace the dragstrip over the years all in the name of going faster than the other guy.

Gus beer

Attached picture 2017-01-05_03-54-53.jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 07:58 PM

I haven't anywhere read what that car sounded like.
Had to a be bit special for the era, right?
Posted By: bobby66

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 08:04 PM

I would watch that. wave drive
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcc

I haven’t heard anything like it. A rattle-ly tinny sound.

Probably responsible for a lot of guys needing hearing aids.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 10:40 PM

Is it more silly than a race where you can lose by going too fast? Or 7 second cars going 10.90 on a throttle stop? confused
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/14/24 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
There have been LOTS of "funny" looking cars to grace the dragstrip over the years all in the name of going faster than the other guy.

Gus beer

This. Or are all the AWB cars worthless scrap?
Posted By: jcc

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by A727Tflite
Originally Posted by jcc

I haven’t heard anything like it. A rattle-ly tinny sound.

Probably responsible for a lot of guys needing hearing aids.

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you.
What did you say? drumhit
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 03:28 AM

Gus beer
If I'm remembering correctly that car was made and campaign by a bunch of Mopar engineering employees (on the sly) before Chrysler got into sponsoring drag racing and making special new drag cars for sale from their dealers, maybe not confused
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Gus beer
If I'm remembering correctly that car was made and campaign by a bunch of Mopar engineering employees (on the sly) before Chrysler got into sponsoring drag racing and making special new drag cars for sale from their dealers, maybe not confused

Yep, The Ramchargers.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hemi_Joel
Is it more silly than a race where you can lose by going too fast? Or 7 second cars going 10.90 on a throttle stop? confused

This EXACTLY!
Most of the people racing cars like this are doing back-half no prep. At Us41 its from the finish line on. It's like racing in the alley. They need all the weight on the back tires from the hit. I would not personally do it but I respect the guys who are.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 03:59 PM

If it is helping keep a drag strip open I am all for it.
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63

This EXACTLY!
Most of the people racing cars like this are doing back-half no prep. At Us41 its from the finish line on. It's like racing in the alley. They need all the weight on the back tires from the hit. I would not personally do it but I respect the guys who are.

x2. They race on the backside of Milan a few times a year and I've spectated a bunch of them. The cars are getting more serious now but it seems to be a relatively low buck way to race heads up. None of them are able to use all of the power so it's a tuning and setup game. I don't care for the no front end look, but I definitely don't mind watching the long travel cars race on the street or any of the back of the track events.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 05:30 PM

Ouch. collateral damage. But hey at least I know where you stand smoke

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

Ouch. collateral damage. But hey at least I know where you stand smoke

Not making a statement there Al, asking a question. Like is it any more silly than collecting time slips all week without ever racing side by side against your opponent? up
Posted By: wingman

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 06:55 PM

Something about us men. If it has wheels, we will find a way to race it.

When I was a teenager stocking grocery store shelves overnight we would stand on pallet jacks and race around the aisles ....
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 07:15 PM

The pay outs are huge and getting bigger and bigger every year. 10-20G's plus. I may try a bunch of the No Prep events this year at Milan.

My buddies nephew won a couple of events and made over 19G's last summer. Paid for his and his brothers racing, parts and travel expenses for both cars plus for the whole year.
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 07:40 PM

For the drag strip uneducated what class, geographical region, sanctioning body is this happening in??
Posted By: GY3

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by wingman

When I was a teenager stocking grocery store shelves overnight we would stand on pallet jacks and race around the aisles ....

The IGA store I worked at had giveaway bikes that we would get down and ride through the aisles at night. grin

One of the funnest jobs I've ever had.
Posted By: n20mstr

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 08:21 PM

everyone here is pretty old, you dont remember???.......if you look these, they are just modern day gassers, funny cars, altered wheelbase, etc
Its drag racing starting all over again, thats all it really is

AND don think they are slow....they are going anywhere from 6.0 to 4.90's thats pretty darn quick for not using ALL the power you have

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/15/24 08:57 PM

[video:yahoo]https://youtu.be/1EUv_1kdL0o?feature=shared.html[/video]
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/16/24 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Schultz62
For the drag strip uneducated what class, geographical region, sanctioning body is this happening in??

That's a front side no prep race in Pageland, SC. Turbo John lent Nick from Hustlin' Horsepower his fox body, and Nick put a solid front axle under it while he was borrowing the car. None of these really have sanctioning bodies, with a few exceptions they're local promoters.
Posted By: SpeedThrills

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/16/24 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by wingman

The IGA store I worked at had giveaway bikes that we would get down and ride through the aisles at night. grin

One of the funnest jobs I've ever had.

Video cameras being everywhere now has ruined all of that kind of fun. frown
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/16/24 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Blusmbl

That's a front side no prep race in Pageland, SC. Turbo John lent Nick from Hustlin' Horsepower his fox body, and Nick put a solid front axle under it while he was borrowing the car. None of these really have sanctioning bodies, with a few exceptions they're local promoters.

iagree The mustang in the pic was a roller and loaned to a racer who'd wrecked his car. He used the front suspension and drivetrain from his wrecked car to Frankenstein something just so he could continue to race. Just saying, it wasn't really done like this on purpose.
I really wish they'd implement a rule that the car has to have a front end on it. Some races have. I enjoy watching the no prep stuff sometimes, but don't think I'll ever try it myself.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: This form of racing is silly - 01/16/24 02:12 PM

Tracks down here are different. Even if it is a sanctioned track, there really isn't any tech inspection to speak of. LOTS of outlaw tracks here too.
© 2024 Moparts Forums