Moparts

73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body

Posted By: 68LAR

73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 12:49 AM

When doing this, is a longer flexible brake hose needed???
Posted By: AndyF

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 03:45 AM

Really depends on which caliper you use and whether you hang the calipers on the front or on the rear of the spindle. You should be able to get the hoses that you need from Doctor Diff. When I was doing these swaps I would use a late model FMJ caliper which is designed to be rear hung and then use a short hose. The factory preferred to cross the hose over the knuckle so they would use a front hung caliper and have the hose run to the frame behind the spindle.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 04:12 PM

I mounted my calipers on the front with B/E body rubber hoses from Wagner. Larrry I still have my entire setup hoses and everything but the knuckles if you need it.

Gus beer

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
I mounted my calipers on the front with B/E body rubber hoses from Wagner. Larrry I still have my entire setup hoses and everything but the knuckles if you need it.

Gus beer

Thanks Gus. I have this system on my car now for many years. I mounted the calipers on the rear. I’m having no issues except that the calipers hit the front shock absorbers when the wheels are turned all the way. The bottom of my shocks have dents in them. I was thinking of mounting the calipers to the front, but looks like the rubber hoses will be too short. I could be wrong, but it sure looks like it to me.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 06:30 PM

It really depends on the caliper that you used. There are a bunch of different caliper castings. Some are designed to be rear hung, some are designed to be front hung. You need to use the correct casting for the application.

Rear hung on the left, front hung on the right. If you use the wrong caliper casting then you end up with hose issues and interference problems. Sounds like you have the wrong castings. I've rear hung calipers before and never had an issue with shock interference so I'm guessing you have front hung calipers mounted on the rear position.

Attached picture 6-22 (Large).jpg

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
It really depends on the caliper that you used. There are a bunch of different caliper castings. Some are designed to be rear hung, some are designed to be front hung. You need to use the correct casting for the application.

Rear hung on the left, front hung on the right. If you use the wrong caliper casting then you end up with hose issues and interference problems. Sounds like you have the wrong castings. I've rear hung calipers before and never had an issue with shock interference so I'm guessing you have front hung calipers mounted on the rear position.

The calipers that are on there now are like the ones on the right side of your picture. I didn't know there were two different types. How would I order or get the one shown on the left in your picture and also what about the brake hose??? What vehicle did the ones on the left come on? Maybe just order individual parts based on that..

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 07:46 PM

FMJ cars typically had rear hung calipers. You should be able to order rebuilt ones and turn in your existing ones for cores. Doctor Diff used to sell hoses that fit, check his website.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 07:48 PM

Andy, pardon my ignorance, but what does FMJ mean???
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 08:50 PM

Body designation. Volare, Diplomat and Cordoba are F M J respectively.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Body designation. Volare, Diplomat and Cordoba are F M J respectively.

Got it. Any particular years????

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 09:00 PM

I actually have Diplomat caliper brackets for the bigger rotors. Not using them at this point though.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by 68LAR
Andy, pardon my ignorance, but what does FMJ mean???

J Body on here will be insulted!

FMJ are the bent bar cars. I don't remember the exact years, first started around 1976 and ran thru late 80's maybe? You have to be careful about nameplates since Chrysler reused nameplates between different platforms. Some cars were B body then R body then maybe J body at the end. If you're going to ask a part counter monkey for a part you should be safe to ask for Volare parts. I don't think the Volare was ever used on a different platform.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 11:21 PM

Another question. Can Use the existing calipers with the rubber brake hose from an FMJ model?? Assuming that the FMj hose is longer.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/06/24 11:24 PM

I actually have Diplomat caliper brackets for the bigger rotors. Not using them at this point though.

Diplomat calipers would most likely be rear hung. The R body cars got the larger 11.75 rotors. FMJ usually got the smaller 11 inch. Or perhaps FMJ only got the 11 inch rotors, I really don't know for sure. But when I used to do disc brake swaps I would search for R body cars since they had the larger rotors. The knuckles off of the the FMJ cars are good for disc brake swaps. They are taller than the A body knuckles and they are lighter.
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/07/24 12:45 PM

73 up B and R bodies used the caliper with the low mounted hose, this hits the shock on 66 to 72 B bodies when rear mounted. BTDT
Not sure about A or FMJ calipers

If one is going to rear mount the calipers on 66 to 72, I recommend moving the frame end of the hose to a position forward of the spindles. Basically mirror image of the factory design.
Posted By: A990

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/07/24 02:40 PM

I like using Rock Auto for interchange research. It may not always be spot on, but it usually gets me in the ballpark.
This is what it shows for Volare/Aspens
hth

Attached picture Capture.png

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/07/24 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by A990
I like using Rock Auto for interchange research. It may not always be spot on, but it usually gets me in the ballpark.
This is what it shows for Volare/Aspens
hth

Thanks. These are all for the rear mount caliper, correct???

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/07/24 07:54 PM

I'm pretty sure that all FMJ body cars had rear hung calipers. It has been 20 years since I was a regular at the wrecking yards but that is what I recall.

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/07/24 08:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that all FMJ body cars had rear hung calipers. It has been 20 years since I was a regular at the wrecking yards but that is what I recall.

according to RockAuto, the calipers are reversible.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/08/24 02:01 PM

One of the joys of ordering from Rockauto ... they don't have a freaking clue , They list 1500 shocks for RWD 2nd gen dodge 2500's.

I suggest you use the local parts store to figure out what actual calipers you are getting.
Posted By: MoonshineMattK

Re: 73-76 A body disc to ‘68 B body - 01/10/24 08:29 PM

If by reversible you mean front mount to rear mount
- Right Front Mount would become a Left Rear Mount and still keep the bleeder upright. That says nothing about the brake hose connection and hose routing.

I used calipers from 1974-80 Monico/Fury/Imperial/Vans/Pickups with the 11.75 rotors and caliper proper tall caliper brackets on my 71 dart. They are front mount and the car does not have a sway bar. Can't remember what brake hose I used but it was a factory one

This article was what I went by:
https://www.allpar.com/d3/history/mopar/brakes/disc-main.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums