Moparts

Best small block oil pan

Posted By: Dartbloke

Best small block oil pan - 11/15/23 05:12 PM

Looking to gain some horsepower through better oil control on my 360 based 408 stroker. Currently using Milodon 7qt low pro, crank scraper and no windage tray, max rpm 6800. Thinking of swapping to a deep Moroso 20710 8 quart pan with 7 qts in it. Waste of time? Any better idea’s?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/15/23 07:31 PM

Check out some from this company

https://kevkoracing.com/collections/mopar
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/15/23 07:59 PM

If you don't have a conventional K frame and you can make it work (and you can find one) these are great

Attached picture 7595250-DSC02304.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/16/23 02:35 AM

A good vacuum pump with a well sealed engine and thin oil up scope

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/16/23 08:56 AM

Stock K frame unfortunately. I looked at Kevko but wasn’t convinced thier pans were any better that the Milodon I already have. My thinking was keeping the oil well below the crank had to be a good thing…
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/16/23 02:51 PM

while you're in there add a windage tray (if you can fit it in).

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/17/23 05:03 PM

I’m not convinced windage trays work which is why I use a crank scraper instead. You don’t want the oil splashing back onto the crank once you’ve peeled it off, so I’m thinking a deeper pan and some sort of screen might be the way to go. I don’t even mind building my own pan if someone had a better design than an off the shelf design.
Posted By: topside

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/17/23 06:01 PM

Windage trays DO work, though I open the louvers a bit on the off-the-shelf trays.
Scrapers and screens also work.
Biggest/deepest pan you can fit is a big deal.
Smokey Yunick proved all that back in the '60s on his Spintron.
On my SB Duster, we just measured the space available, and I had Billet Fabrication in SoCal make me the biggest pan I could get in there.
Had a pass-through for the drag link, and I marked the balancer where the front crank throws had the most clearance from the pan.
Had to be a bit shallow where the K is.
Pan can be off the car in minutes.
Posted By: tvt59

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/17/23 09:10 PM

I really like Kevco pans.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/17/23 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by tvt59

After my last dealing with the idiots at Milidon I will never buy another Milidon oil pan.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Best small block oil pan - 11/18/23 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Originally Posted by tvt59

After my last dealing with the idiots at Milidon I will never buy another Milidon oil pan.

I have heard others say the same thing.

That being said, the Milodon deep pan with the tie rod hole, is in my opinion, a good pan.

On the subject of windage trays, I remember Tom Hoover saying that the depth of the pan becomes less important if you run a windage tray because the windage tray is all the engine really sees.
© 2024 Moparts Forums