Moparts

Timing set for raised cam Hemi?

Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/01/23 05:46 PM

Other than a belt, what are the available options for a timing set on a raised cam KB block block?

I know that big block Chevy's have the same cam to crank center line as a big block Mopar. Is there a bbc raised cam timing chain that could be used with Hemi sprockets? Is a gear drive available?

Thanks, Joel
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/01/23 07:12 PM

Milodon gear drive 13001. 0.250 raised cam.

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/01/23 10:19 PM

Thanks Rick!
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/01/23 10:58 PM

Plenty of gear drives available...not so sure about a chain.sprocket set up though..

Id try Wizards first.. This is where I do most my gett'n stuff at. Tell'em Bill in NY sent you!
RBS sells them Too
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/01/23 10:58 PM

RCD (and others) also make them. Donovan may have one for raised cam.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/02/23 04:32 PM

Have always had good luck with RCD even with BBC stuff.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/02/23 04:49 PM

Did you order a block Joel?

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/02/23 09:33 PM

No, I'm still on the fence.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/03/23 12:22 PM

Do I see a 5" crank in you future?????
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/04/23 03:19 AM

I believe using the belt that this gets rid of all the bad harmonics throught the Chain and Sprockets. I believe the belt is a common thing in performance motors, but the price years ago with the raised block was not that cheap. I would phone Banning or Barton and talk to them on what other timing Chain, Drive they recommend.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/05/23 06:01 AM

Joel
Just thinking out loud here. I wonder if the Indy timing cover would cover the belt drive. Ati makes the damper for it. Full disclosure Joel and I have been discussing this. His concern with a belt drive is he wants to do Drag week and Belt drives can pick up all sorts of things flying down the open road. I pulled a large stone out of one the other day! So maybe we could cover it up.......Let me look into this.
Todd
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/05/23 03:06 PM

I am sure you could even make a stock stlye cover fit, might take a spacer if sorts but why not.

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/05/23 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by hemicar1971
I believe the belt is a common thing in performance motors, but the price years ago with the raised block was not that cheap.
They are worse now. Over $2,000 including tax. I've bought hemicudas cheaper.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/06/23 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by sasquatch
Joel
Just thinking out loud here. I wonder if the Indy timing cover would cover the belt drive. Ati makes the damper for it. Full disclosure Joel and I have been discussing this. His concern with a belt drive is he wants to do Drag week and Belt drives can pick up all sorts of things flying down the open road. I pulled a large stone out of one the other day! So maybe we could cover it up.......Let me look into this.
Todd

The odds of it happening are very slim... Plenty of people running belts on Drag and Drive events without issues. I do have a INDY cover if Joel wants to look at it. NO Joel, you can't use it... LOL.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/06/23 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire
I am sure you could even make a stock stlye cover fit, might take a spacer if sorts but why not.

I started to cobble up a stock timing cover to put over a jesel years ago , never finished it and ended up selling the jesel. I started by cutting the bottom flange off , left out the balancer seal.

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/06/23 08:10 PM

I suppose anything is possible...
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/06/23 10:06 PM

Someone makes covers for Jesel belt drives for SBC that run in dirt track cars and mud bog trucks. Can't remember who, but I don't think that it is Jesel. (could be wrong though) Not sure if they are made for anything else. They are two piece, (upper and lower) made out of thin sheet metal and just bolt over top of Jesel unit, not really tight to the balancer hub. I actually just took one off of an old NASCAR engine that was converted to a drag race engine, and give it back to the customer.

Brian
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/10/23 03:15 AM

Have not talked to Banning about this for a long while but the old research for using a Chain and Sprockets states that there are none and likely will never be any for this raise came block, unless someone does a lot of research into building one. Talked to a couple of racers that have the belts and have no problem with them. Was told that Oil is a killer of the belts. These belt assemblies are not cheap but do add some benifits to the motors.

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/10/23 03:55 PM

Banning has a raised cam belt drive listed on his website. I assume it's the one made by the Aussies. Just speculation.

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/10/23 03:57 PM

If you buy a belt drive after 10 years you will have spent more on belts than a gear drive costs.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Timing set for raised cam Hemi? - 11/11/23 12:31 AM

I am in the process of having a few standard height belt drive covers made out of aluminum. They are designed to be nothing more than dust covers.

Edit: I see that CVR p/n 32535 is listed as a BBM +.250 jesel belt drive cover. You might want to give them a call.
© 2024 Moparts Forums