Moparts

New style rockers

Posted By: jwb123

New style rockers - 10/17/23 01:25 PM

Getting ready to build a 440 engine. Been building Mopar's for a long time, and all the engines I have built before with adjustable rockers used a rocker arm with a ball adjuster and a pushrod with a cup. I am seeing a lot of rockers now for the 440's with a cup in the rocker like a chevy engine, and then they would use a chevy style pushrod. I also noticed the cup in the rocker arm style the push rod cup is pressure fed while the old ball and cup style has a squirter hole giving it splash lube. It also seems the Chevy style rocker would have a little better geometry as well as better lube. The ball style rocker makes the push rod swing through a bigger arc than a cup style. Anybody used the new style rockers on a Mopar? Stock Mopar hydraulic rockers have a cup in the rocker. Any thoughts?
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 01:44 PM

All I know is people using ultra high lift cams use those so they don't have to think about the cup hitting the rocker. I think they use pushrod oiling in that application. Anything I put together has under .700" lift so that's not an issue for me. And of course it's too complicated for an old geezer like me. I like the stock oiling. KISS is my motto.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 01:59 PM

The chinesium $200 ebay roller rockers also use a ball-ball pushrod.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 02:56 PM

Jesel Pro series rockers are available with either cup-end or ball-end adjusters
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 03:09 PM

If the price is similar, i would go with ball end pushrods, cup adjuster rockers. Thwy allow more choice, allowing a more radical lift cam and stand up to very high spring loads if they are good parts. Ppl
Posted By: AndyF

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 03:10 PM

Yes, sometimes engine builders switch over to ball-ball pushrods although it isn't an requirement. I've used both and there are advantages and disadvantages. My old 514 race engine used Jesel rocker arms with cups in the pushrods, but the cups had to be a special order size to fit the Jesel rocker arms.

Attached picture jesel.JPG
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
Getting ready to build a 440 engine. Been building Mopar's for a long time, and all the engines I have built before with adjustable rockers used a rocker arm with a ball adjuster and a pushrod with a cup. I am seeing a lot of rockers now for the 440's with a cup in the rocker like a chevy engine, and then they would use a chevy style pushrod. I also noticed the cup in the rocker arm style the push rod cup is pressure fed while the old ball and cup style has a squirter hole giving it splash lube. It also seems the Chevy style rocker would have a little better geometry as well as better lube. The ball style rocker makes the push rod swing through a bigger arc than a cup style. Anybody used the new style rockers on a Mopar? Stock Mopar hydraulic rockers have a cup in the rocker. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts? Your question is too general to give complete advice. If you have a bunch of valvetrain related questions and help deciding what you need then Mike at B3R is good and carries many products. Geometry is designed into a rocker regardless of the adjuster. Depending on the head, cam, RPM etc there's usually more than one choice that should work. Think of the valvetrain as a system.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: New style rockers - 10/17/23 11:38 PM

440 Source has released their version of the ductile iron rockers 274.99 a set.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: New style rockers - 10/18/23 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
Yes, sometimes engine builders switch over to ball-ball pushrods although it isn't an requirement. I've used both and there are advantages and disadvantages. My old 514 race engine used Jesel rocker arms with cups in the pushrods, but the cups had to be a special order size to fit the Jesel rocker arms.

The pictures of the stuff you've used/made never ceases to amaze me, who made those pushrods ?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: New style rockers - 10/18/23 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by carnut68

That’s very interesting!
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: New style rockers - 10/19/23 12:01 PM

Went to look at those and saw they have also "cloned" Comp's Pro Magnum bushed steel roller rockers for about $600
Posted By: varunner

Re: New style rockers - 10/19/23 03:13 PM

I just saw those too. They look interesting. If anyone has used them,, feedback would be appreciated. I use the comp pro magnums. I like the rocker, but the shafts are starting to wear..........

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak

Went to look at those and saw they have also "cloned" Comp's Pro Magnum bushed steel roller rockers for about $600
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: New style rockers - 10/20/23 01:51 AM

How expensive would it be to have rocker shafts DLC coated? Then the bushed rockers might live a lot longer?
Posted By: varunner

Re: New style rockers - 10/21/23 12:43 PM

Probably not too much, $50 ea. ?? I was thinking about doing this before putting my motor back together. This might be one of those issues that I want to fix, but not necessary.
© 2024 Moparts Forums