Moparts

Has anyone done a 440 K car swap?

Posted By: quickd100

Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 11:08 AM

Going to look at a real clean low mile 86 Reliant K car wagon this morning. Unfortunately, the gears in my head are grinding. I know some people used to do a small block swap but I'm wondering out loud if this would be possible.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 12:11 PM

as you are going to hear over and over, anything is possible just how much work and money do you want to put into the effort? It sure would be cool when done.

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 12:21 PM

I know you can put anything into anything if you want to bad enough. Just wondering if anyone out there is as loopy as I am.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 12:33 PM

I've seen a few, but they were all tube chassis cars.
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 12:36 PM

this morning i did just see a Dodge Shadow with a 440 in it so it can be done. it's a tube chassis but i know it can be done. if you remember Mike Rath(Mr. P-Body) he had a shadow with a small block and he did all the chassis work in his barn with a strut front end. if there was a path to take the strut front end and a good chassis you will be in the clear. I can actually see it in my mind. you have great vision and imagination.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 01:42 PM

A friend of mine raced one years ago in the 9.90 super gas class with a throttle stopped Hemi. Mopar gave him a Strattus years later which he had made into a super gas car. The K car sat for years and I even tried selling it for him. Zero interest by anyone in that car by anyone

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/23/23 04:24 PM

We I brought it home. It needs an exhaust pipe just ahead of the muffler and a good cleanup. I'll drive it around as is for a while and do some research.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 12:19 AM

Saw an interesting fab job on a K car. Owner told me any A body front(frame, K member and complete suspension) welded in place of front frame of any of the K cars. His Omni went 10.20's with 440. Somewhat of how they used F/M body front ends on vintage iron for modern suspension. Don't remember the details.

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 12:25 AM

Thanks, that simplify things a lot!
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 12:46 AM

I seem to remember in the early 90’s Mopar Performance offered a V8 k member for the K cars. It makes more sense now if an A body K welds right in!
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Blusmbl
I seem to remember in the early 90’s Mopar Performance offered a V8 k member for the K cars. It makes more sense now if an A body K welds right in!

I think you are correct as I rember the same thing.
Posted By: dart games

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 09:32 AM

pittsburg racer,was that hemi k car you was talking about red
Posted By: theraif

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 05:10 PM

i remember this car and one called special k
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dart games
pittsburg racer,was that hemi k car you was talking about red

Man it’s been so long since I’ve seen that car. It was white and green or a maroon color I think. Frank Miller, It’s Miller time. I’ll try to find some pictures later
Posted By: markz528

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/24/23 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by theraif
i remember this car and one called special k

Any idea the history of that car? I know that Miro Pryputniewicz from CT was building one but never heard if he had finished it.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/26/23 04:50 PM

I've seen it done, but not sure exactly what was done smile

I've taken pictures of one before from an event. If it comes up in FB memories or whatnot I'll tag you.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/27/23 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

A friend of mine raced one years ago in the 9.90 super gas class with a throttle stopped Hemi. Mopar gave him a Strattus years later which he had made into a super gas car. The K car sat for years and I even tried selling it for him. Zero interest by anyone in that car by anyone

I know who that is. Car was named after a famous beer slogan. Made a few wisecracks about my small block powered car when I bumped into him out in D3. Friend of mine built the Stratus. Haven't seen him in years,
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/27/23 03:52 PM

If I found a decent K car this day in age, I'd be doing a full turbo build on the 4 banger.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/27/23 05:44 PM

Had a friend that swapped a small block stroker into a Shadow twenty years ago. Was done nice and it fit entirely under the stock hood. You couldn't really tell. Only give away was the larger rear tires.

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/27/23 06:08 PM

Why stop at a turbo sb when you can turbo a 440
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/27/23 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by MarkZ
Had a friend that swapped a small block stroker into a Shadow twenty years ago. Was done nice and it fit entirely under the stock hood. You couldn't really tell. Only give away was the larger rear tires.

Used to be a MOPAR PERFORMANCE kit for such an endeavor... now that I think of it there was a SB swap kit for the Daytona as well...
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/28/23 04:34 PM

440 in a K-car? That sounds like a Red Green thing. Dave, you might want to move a little farther from the border... laugh2

Re: Has anyone done a 440 K car swap? - 09/28/23 04:57 PM

Duct tape....the handyman's secret weapon!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums