Moparts

Charlie's oil pan

Posted By: 500ci barracuda

Charlie's oil pan - 09/19/23 04:34 PM

Hello everybody I have a question about oil pans and windage trees. I have a Charlie's oil pan and 9 quart was wondering do I have to run a Windows tray with that or the way their pants are built do I need a windage tray
Posted By: galen

Re: Charlie's oil pan - 09/20/23 02:07 AM

The 3 Charlie's pans I have used all had a windage screen that was held in the pan by 5 or 6 bolts. His pan I have now I am using a crank scraper with his screen. If it doesn't have the screen then personally I would use a tray of some type.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Charlie's oil pan - 09/20/23 04:26 PM

The Charlie's pan I have has the "tray" built in. Held in w/ allen head bolts.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Charlie's oil pan - 09/20/23 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 500ci barracuda
Hello everybody I have a question about oil pans and windage trees. I have a Charlie's oil pan and 9 quart was wondering do I have to run a Windows tray with that or the way their pants are built do I need a windage tray

There are critical differences between a tray, screen and scraper. A tray is solid sheet metal. Even if it has some louvres oil can and will bounce back up at the rotating parts, causing drag.
If the oil level is 6” or more from rotating parts then don’t use the tray.

A properly built screen allows the oil to leave the rotating parts and end up in the sump. Some oil remains on the rotating parts.
A scraper peels the oil from the rotating parts where the oil ends up in the sump.
© 2024 Moparts Forums