Moparts

NGK Plugs.....

Posted By: Dragula

NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 08:08 PM

I stopped using these in the early 90's because they are crap and would just quit when conditions were not perfect. So I have not bought any since....The other day my ATV needed a plug, and Napa sells me an NGK plug even after I protested....They say they are good now.

Well I went to install the effing POS plug and what happens, it breaks in half right at the threads....The threaded part in down in the bore, and then entire rest of the plugs comes out....electrode and all...Anyone ever worked on an ATV...there is no room in there to work. This sucks, and it wasn't even tight yet..

NGK still sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

PS....Why do you think I was changing the plug in the first place...gas went bad over winter, even with stabilizer, and it had an NGK plug that stopped firing...Other ATVs with same fuel, no issue...
Posted By: moparacer

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 08:55 PM

Well if they suck I must have been lucky the last 15 years or so I have ran them. Every one has always been gapped the same out of the box too. I could have slapped every set in and never checked them. More than I can say for the other brands.

The set I took out of my car last month was 3 years old. The set in my Barracuda are maybe 10?
Posted By: GY3

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:02 PM

I use nothing but NGK and have had great results. They are easy to read with a nitrous tune, too! shruggy
Posted By: Kiddart

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:04 PM

i use them as well no issues ever.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:08 PM

I guess I only have bad luck then....

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by GY3
I use nothing but NGK and have had great results. They are easy to read with a nitrous tune, too! shruggy

Yep easy to read the timing mark on the ground strap.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:34 PM

NGK....Pure Quality.

Attached picture IMG_20230826_172622.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20230826_172654.jpg

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:50 PM

Did you put it in with a 1/2 breaker bar or 3/4 impact? laugh2

That is literally the first NGK plug I have ever seen do that.

It might be a issue with that particular plug number but If you do that with a NGK automotive plug I think you dont know your own strength.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dragula
NGK....Pure Quality.

I’m sorry but I would be afraid walking next to you in a rain storm.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/26/23 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
NGK....Pure Quality.

Long as you are shorter, all is good...

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 12:05 AM

NGK....Pure Quality.

I’m shorter but I’ll bet I’m wider. Lol 😂
Posted By: dvw

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 01:03 AM

Nothing but NGK in all our stuff. Sometimes I run them 3 years in the racecar. Still runs 9.0s
Doug

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by moparacer
Did you put it in with a 1/2 breaker bar or 3/4 impact? laugh2

That is literally the first NGK plug I have ever seen do that.

It might be a issue with that particular plug number but If you do that with a NGK automotive plug I think you dont know your own strength.

As I said, getting into an ATV to change a plug is not somthing you can use any real tools on...And it was just a short handled wrench...And it was not even tight yet...Then I had to figure out hot to get that portion out of the cylinder.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 02:06 AM

All I use as well. I've been running the same set for 8 yrs. Every season I say I'm going to change them, just haven't. Fires right up and sets into a nice even idle. Last week was 7.043, 7.045 and 7.044. Just need the driver to get as consistent.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 04:20 AM

Ngk is all I’ve run since auto lite decided to close up shop here and set up in places I don’t trust. Run them in everything. The ford guys say to put them in eco boost motors. Apparently they make them for ford, to some crap spec, so you have to go with the ngk branded ones to get things right.
Posted By: Tig

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 11:32 AM

I've never seen any make of plug snap there before. I recently swapped from NGK to Champion because the price of the NGK's has got so high. Out of the box the earth strap on the champions is twisted and not centered over the electrode, 6 of the 8 were like this. Not particularly impressed. blush
Posted By: fbs63

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 01:02 PM

There are counterfeit NGK plugs circulating. Not sure how to check for origin on them but I bet that's what you have there.
Posted By: carter

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 02:10 PM

Only NGK here.

Same plugs for five years now in a 512 cu street & strip, run a new best couple of month ago.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 02:45 PM

48 years of running Autolite racing plugs for me.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 03:11 PM

Sorry about your luck with the NGK. Since your on the topic of spark plugs, what heat range did you run in your 511/512? Not sure whats best for a 12.5:1 511.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 05:16 PM

I use 80+ NGK's yearly...so far so good
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 05:48 PM

I like and use the Auto lite non resistor race plugs now as well as their resistor plugs in my street vehicles on gasoline and E85 up scope twocents

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 06:08 PM

I have been using the autolites as well. 3911 and 3923. Although i think the 3923 is too hot for street and the 3911 may be too cold for track use in my 511. Hard to find a projected non resistor in a 7 range.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 06:14 PM

All I use now is NGK plugs, never had a problem with one. I used to use Champions but had problems with the newer stuff.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 06:43 PM

These were atv plugs...

For my cars I use Autolite AR3933 series AR3935 or AR3932 or AR3934 depending on needed heat range. Best plugs I have ever used.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by fbs63
There are counterfeit NGK plugs circulating. Not sure how to check for origin on them but I bet that's what you have there.

iagree Some of the larger chain parts stores buy plugs from some jobbers that sell the counterfeit junk twocents

NGK and Denso user for 38 years without failure.

Gus beer

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/27/23 11:54 PM

I like the autolite stuff as well as NGK. I dont know if its worth anything, but i like the cut back ground strap autolite offers.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/28/23 12:52 PM

NGK only for me for the past 20+ years. No issues ever.
Nothing against other brands really, just more familiar w/ the NGK numbers.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 08/28/23 11:30 PM

NGK as well.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/08/23 01:24 PM

I prefer NGK vs champion plugs What are your other options?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/08/23 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy

iagree Some of the larger chain parts stores buy plugs from some jobbers that sell the counterfeit junk twocents

That is the last thing we need. Real businesses buying conterfeit parts and selling them to us.
It is bad enough that illegal crap manf exist in the first place.
Just trying to change spark plugs turns into a nightmare....

It would be nice if somebody knows how to spot them, if possible.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/08/23 11:40 PM

I called NGK and gave the numbers on the plugs. He told me wgat plant and when made amd if real.
Also said they do not copy-fake copper or nickel one's. But plenty of fake iridium ones.
To buy from a real place. That Summit Racing is authorized source, and Rockauto gers them from one and is also safe.
I like how the coating NGK puts is easy to read.
Ford spects NGK so does Honda. The Honda small engine stuff i have us Ho da boxes with NGK
If i can't get NGK it is Autolite
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/12/23 05:53 PM

Just an FYI... NGK is likely going to buy-out DENSO for spark plug future production... according to certain business news. DENSO forsees the future of internal combustion engines declining.. so their potential exit from that market.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/12/23 07:10 PM

I see a potential need for diesel tow trucks with an EV generator onboard...
Posted By: Leigh

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/13/23 01:48 AM

Honda eu3000i: Would run for exactly 90 seconds, then die. Cleaned complete fuel system. Ignition always had spark. Fortunately, good friend has same generator. We swapped EVERYTHING. Still, run 90 seconds then die. I decided to change the perfect looking oem plug. Wala. Problem solved. It had to be at the exact temperature to short. NGK.
Posted By: cl440

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/13/23 07:30 PM

Been running NGK in the race car for many years. Never an issue
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/13/23 09:26 PM

Only NGK for me in all the racecars for the last 20+ years.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/14/23 12:33 PM

NGK is the factory plug for all the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers. Never saw an issue such as the OP posted over decades of experience with them.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/14/23 04:37 PM

I saw a "reel" on Instagram that showed how to unscrew and replace the tip on the ignition wire end with a solid core tip. They said their example is specifically for a Mopar. The replacement tips can be re-used again and again in fresh plugs. Not sure where they get them, but figured some of you guys know.

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/15/23 04:14 PM

I guess I am not the only one that caught some bad ones this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GY7feZi_IQ
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: NGK Plugs..... - 09/16/23 11:32 PM

NGK....Pure Quality.

I’m shorter but I’ll bet I’m wider. Lol 😂
which provides a better ground? I need to know who to stand next to or not😁
© 2024 Moparts Forums